Rewatched the game (OFF only) this morning

oldschool

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rewatched the offense this morning and took notes. Here are things that stood out to me.   Offensive Line - This unit was way better than I realized. Sure protection was heavily schemed wi

I agree that a better throw to Brown likely results in a TD.       I completely disagree that he had room to step into the throw.  Here's a shot as the ball leaves his hand, an instant befor

You're correct that the pressure came from the side after the PA fake....but look at the defender.    If Mariota steps into the throw, that defender is hitting him squarely in the back of his knees as

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The 3rd and 11? It hit Davis in the hands. It wasn’t a great pass, but it wasn’t a bad pass. I think Davis May have heard footsteps and short armed it, but I’d have to rewatch. That isn’t an easy throw. 

It was from a completely clean pocket.  This is a 6'3 WR with long arms who had to jump and extend completely and could barely get his fingertips on it.  If there was a field level shot, it would show how high it really was

The whole, "hE was the #5 pick!  He should be able to catch uncatchable passes!"  Thing is getting old

Screenshot_2019-09-09-14-30-05-1440x720.png

Edited by abc2330

9 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

It was from a completely clean pocket.  This is a 6'3 WR with long arms who had to jump and extend completely and could barely get his fingertips on it.  If there was a field level shot, it would show how high it really was

Screenshot_2019-09-09-14-30-05-1440x720.png

Okay. Notice how little Davis’ feet are off the ground. He had a chance at that ball. It wasn’t a great pass, but it wasn’t a bad pass. 

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Okay. Notice how little Davis’ feet are off the ground. He had a chance at that ball. It wasn’t a great pass, but it wasn’t a bad pass. 

I rewatched the play.  I'd argue it was a bad pass since the pocket was clean there was minimal pressure.

11 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

How could you possibly tell from that angle?  He looks like he's several feet in the air.  And the pass barely grazed his fingers.  It was a bad throw.  This isn't as ridiculous as that Pittsburgh debate, but it's a bad throw

23 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The way I like to settle these arguments is:

How many of these, "not a great pass but the receiver should make a play" conversations are we gonna have on minimal targets?

We don't throw it a lot, the receiver barely has a chance to get his hands warm. So in situations where he's open, how about he get a high percentage of accurate tight-window throws with the odd wayward pass that he has to make a play on thrown in?

Let the guy get a rhythm.

This is how a guy like Philip Dorsett is absolute shit on one team and then catches two TDs on Sunday Night Football on another. I'm not saying he's all-pro but the difference when you have a QB that regularly hits you in stride speaks volumes.

Edited by big2033

57 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The 3rd and 11? It hit Davis in the hands. It wasn’t a great pass, but it wasn’t a bad pass. I think Davis May have heard footsteps and short armed it, but I’d have to rewatch. That isn’t an easy throw. 

It looks like he just miss-timed his jump.

Not by a lot, but just enough.

6 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Eh, it hit his receiver in the hands in between coverage. I’m okay if it’s called a bad pass, but it wasn’t some terrible miss. Davis had a shot at that ball. 

You have incredibly low standards if you consider that hitting a receiver in the hands.  Davis attempted to make a play on a erratic high throw.  That's the only reason his hands were anywhere close to it

Edited by abc2330

Ex-player college told me one time that the direct overhead catch was waaay harder then in looks because of full arm extension through the shoulder pads and squeezing the ball directly over your head with nothing else to stop the ball momentum.  I dunno, esp with the gloves these guys wear these days, but I look for it now.

Edited by begooode

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

It looks like he just miss-timed his jump.

Not by a lot, but just enough.

Rewatched it last night and that was also my takeaway. Maybe I’m wrong, but to call it some terrible throw doesn’t make sense to me. The throw to Sharp was a terrible throw. The one in the end zone to Brown was a terrible throw. That was not a bad pass. Slightly high but within reach. 

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Overall I thought he showed pretty good game awareness, other than the sack you mentioned, and it led to an efficient if unspectacular performance. Honestly, if he can consistently play that well while having some big games we can be in business. If he can consistently be an average QB while maintaining the upside he showed against the Eagles/Pats/Dal then we are a tough out. 

my thoughts exactly...and I think if he stays healthy for the whole season we may start to seem some more out of him on a consistent basis as the season goes along.

as far as yesterdays game goes he's still healthy and we got a win.  good start for MM.

7 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

You have incredibly low standards if you consider that hitting a receiver in the hands.  Davis attempted to make a play on a erratic high throw.  That's the only reason his hands were anywhere close to it

Lol. I’m guessing you didn’t watch much football this weekend. Mariota has a better game than most of them even with the misses. Did you watch Rothleisberger, Rodgers, Trubisky, Winston, Allen, Darnold...etc. They were fucking awful. Our QB wasn’t and had an efficient game. Quit fucking bitching for one week.