Colts Week

Divine

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right now I'm flying high and expecting the Titans to dominate...   So I'm sure it will be a grind-it-out game with Vinatieri finding his leg again and kicking a FG to beat us.   

My hard on for a win this week is pure granite. I don't just want to win, I want to see the Colts dick slapped all the way back to 1997.

I don't buy the trap game stuff. It's a division game against a playoff team the Titans haven't had much success against the past 5 years. If the team looks past the Colts they have big problems.

Posted Images

Just re-watched last week's Colts@Chargers game.    A few thoughts:

The Colts' offense is friggin' serious about running the ball....and they do it well.  (33 attempts for 202 yards vs Chargers)  Here's how serious they are: at the Chargers' 41 and trailing 24-16 with 3 minutes left in the game ...they ran the ball six times in a row.   Their philosophy in week one:  keep running the ball until the defense proves they can stop it.   (Sound familiar?)

Marlon Mack is a very good runner with good vision and excellent speed.   He's not particularly shifty, but he can be a hard-nosed physical runner when needed.   He had 174 yards rushing last week, including a 60+ yard TD and another 20+ yarder.   But the Colts' O-line deserves a ton of credit for opening up wide-open lanes for Mack to run through.

Brissett is a very solid, smart QB with a strong, accurate arm.  He's also a good runner, but rarely does so.  Probably 90% of their passing game was plays designed to get the ball out of Brissett's hand quickly with plenty of RPOs and play-action to slow the pass rush.   Few of his throws traveled more than 5-7 yards...but they'll throw it down the field if they get a matchup they like.  

When Brissett did throw down the field, he usually targeted the Chargers' backup CB #28, who often had very good position but poor awareness/ball skills.    They were good, accurate throws....but a corner with better awareness likely has a shot at an INT or at least knocking them down.   (Which is probably why they kept targeting #28....they knew he was vulnerable.)

The Colts' defense is pretty good.    Not great...but they're good.   Their pass rush is quite effective and got to Rivers 4 times last week...although that might need a grain of salt since three of those came against the Chargers' backup LT, if I'm not mistaken.  They're also reasonably solid against the run, although they did give up a few chunk plays, both on the ground and through the air.   I didn't notice a ton of blitzing....they mostly rush four and drop seven guys back in zone.

Anyone who thought the Colts would roll over and feel sorry for themselves after Luck's departure is sadly mistaken.   These guys are coming to play....and they'll be a tough out.

7 hours ago, TheBukafax said:

This weeks great Youtube analysis. I couldnt find any insane Colts people in my quick google searching. This guy is way better than the Browns fan last week.

Dude, make your bed for crying out loud.

9 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Eh. We either show up and beat a team at home during a pretty huge ceremony for our franchise or we don’t. If we don’t then we’ll know. If Mariota shits the bed then I’m fine with moving onto Tannehill. This is a huge game for the guy whether people realize it or not. 

its the second game of the season...if we don't win we will know.  know what exactly?

6 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

If their strength is running the ball and they give up big runs on D then I like our chances. If Mariota wears his big boy pants today we can light up their corners. It will be a tough out.

I only watched the 1st half of the colts chargers.   Colts seemed very content with running the ball and short throws..screens etc.

seemed like the emphasis was on long drives and controlling the clock.I expect more play action and shots downfield vs us and their defense to be aggressive and blitz alot.

Brissett can be confused and showed at times he would check it down before going down field.

like the Titans D today but expect Reich to confuse and pressure Mariota also.

think we win it at home.

24 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

I only watched the 1st half of the colts chargers.   Colts seemed very content with running the ball and short throws..screens etc.

seemed like the emphasis was on long drives and controlling the clock.I expect more play action and shots downfield vs us and their defense to be aggressive and blitz alot.

Brissett can be confused and showed at times he would check it down before going down field.

like the Titans D today but expect Reich to confuse and pressure Mariota also.

think we win it at home.

Stylistically, I think we're a bad match up for them. I see us being able to limit Mack as we've done before and impose our will in the running game. Darius Leonard will be the X-factor. If he can slow Henry down, the game becomes much more difficult with Mariota having to test that secondary. I think their corners are weak but Malik Hooker is a stud and might be able to limit our passes to Walker between the hashes. If Corey Davis can escape the witness protection program we can really hurt them. It will be a very interesting and likely close affair.

Edited by Mythos27

The Titans are a more talented team and are playing at home.  

The Colts are focused on running the ball because they have a solid offensive line and they know their QB simply isn't very good.  

Their defense is ok.  Ours is elite.  Their offense is ok.  Our is above average.  Without Luck, the Colts just aren't nearly as dangerous as they once were and that lethality will go down as teams figure out what they are doing offensively.  I don't see anyway the Colts beat the Titans this week.  I can see plenty of scenarios where the Titans beat themselves though.  

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Stylistically, I think we're a bad match up for them. I see us being able to limit Mack as we've done before and impose our will in the running game. Darius Leonard will be the X-factor. If he can slow Henry down, the game becomes much more difficult with Mariota having to test that secondary. I think their corners are weak but Malik Hooker is a stud and might be able to limit our passes to Walker between the hashes. If Corey Davis can escape the witness protection program we can really hurt them. It will be a very interesting and likely close affair.

Colts are a zone defense.  Unfortunately, I don't expect a big game from Davis.  I could see Humphries breaking out this week though.  

3 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Colts are a zone defense.  Unfortunately, I don't expect a big game from Davis.  I could see Humphries breaking out this week though.  

If they're still running that base Tampa 2 defense then I can see Davis working them in the intermediate areas as he did so last year in the first game. What isn't likely to be there today is posts and 9 routes from the outside receivers which is fine because Mariota/the offense doesn't rely on those anyways. If Mariota can figure out how they're playing their underneath zones and our receivers sight-adjust properly we can make it a very long game for them. You're 100% right about Humphries. His game is tailor made to beat heavy zone defenses.  

• Jonboy unpinned this topic