code

Mariota is exceptional and he must be extended

6 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

The problem is he hasn't even shown he can be an effective, consistent game manager yet. Forget the rookie hopes of him becoming Rodgers. If he could even become Andy Dalton or Alex Smith then I'd be way more interested in re-signing him. He just hasn't done that yet. 

That first half was really bad yesterday. 

Yeah, it’ll be about what he does this year. I’m tentatively expecting him to be gone next year but hopefully we turn the reins over to Tannehill or Alex Smith or Andy Dalton next year haha, not a rookie although we must draft someone. 

How about Eli Manning?!?! 

😂

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

I still think he's inferior to Tannehill.  I'd love to see him with Smith and these skill players

He's an inferior passer to Tannehill probably. I just worry about turnovers. 

46 minutes ago, tgo said:

I totally get that, believe me. 

It's just about do you risk it with such a great roster. These young guys like Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Trubisky are garbage. 

You are hitting on what I posted a few months ago.  You don't replace MM in a vacuum. It's not entirely about him.  There are other factors that come into play.

1. Who is his replacement?  I'll be much more impressed when the QB gurus here can tell me one name (not 2 or 3, or a list) in Jan. of who we should draft.  Watch some college football and give me a name in Jan. that we can reasonably draft.

2.  What is the overall status of the team?  It's much easier to replace a QB on a 6-10 team than one is 10-6 and just won a playoff game or two.

Edited by ctm

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yeah, he's more willing to take a chance under pressure vs Mariota who will just take a sack.  Sometimes it works out really well, sometimes it doesn't.  But statistically speaking, he plays really well when his defense does.  Having the threat of a running game to bring a safety in the box and a better o line will smooth out his flaws

1 minute ago, ctm said:

If MM isn't resigned, the most likely scenario is Tannehill on a 1 year deal and drafting a QB in round 1, imo.

I agree. 

11 minutes ago, tgo said:

You can’t functionally have a good passing game without taking chances. They can’t hide MM an entire season.

He’ll be mediocre over the course of a season and keeping him won’t even be an option. 

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You can’t functionally have a good passing game without taking chances. They can’t hide MM an entire season.

He’ll be mediocre over the course of a season and keeping him won’t even be an option. 

you also can't expect to run Play action all the time. The Browns started blitzing guys off edge on expected play action downs which is where most of the pressure came from yesterday. mariota was absolutely pitiful on non play action throws yesterday. It's insane how bad he is when he drops straight back.

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Probably so. 

20 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The best throw he made, IMO, was the crosser to Brown to start the 2nd half.  It was perfect. 

His best throw was making sure the ball crossed the line of scrimmage as he was falling down.  The crossing route to Brown was good and so was the pass to Delanie for the TD (even though it was off as well).  The rest of the throws were not good.  

Regardless of any good to great play from Mariota this season, I think any discussion of extension is moot.  He's playing for the franchise tag or heading into free agency, period.

And btw, Tannehill will likely be begging, if MM goes, for a 1 year prove-it deal from the Titans in 2020.  That would be the best possible scenario for him to revive his career short of a long term contract which would be doubtful