Mariota is exceptional and he must be extended

code

4 minutes ago, begooode said:

Regardless of any good to great play from Mariota this season, I think any discussion of extension is moot.  He's playing for the franchise tag or heading into free agency, period.

You say that.. but who are they going to get to replace him? Unless we're one of the bottom 3-5 teams (we won't be), we'd likely have to replace him with a late round rookie or some journeymen. Even if Mariota has an average year and the Titans go 8-8 or 9-7 or something, he's likely getting franchise tagged or extended as long as he stays mostly healthy throughout the year.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to put a fair and balanced opposing title to Oman's terrible and must be replaced.   Felt the universe calling and responded.   Do I truly feel this way? Ask me at the

The problem is he hasn't even shown he can be an effective, consistent game manager yet. Forget the rookie hopes of him becoming Rodgers. If he could even become Andy Dalton or Alex Smith then I'd be

I keep asking myself if I'd rather take a chance with some young gunslinger like Mayfield or Stafford (or a Fitzpatrick or Winston who gives the ball to the other team but isn't tentative with the foo

37 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yeah, it’ll be about what he does this year. I’m tentatively expecting him to be gone next year but hopefully we turn the reins over to Tannehill or Alex Smith or Andy Dalton next year haha, not a rookie although we must draft someone. 

How about Eli Manning?!?! 

?

Joe Biden available? ?

1 hour ago, code said:

Just wanted to put a fair and balanced opposing title to Oman's terrible and must be replaced.

Felt the universe calling and responded.

Do I truly feel this way? Ask me at the end of the season.

@code thread 36 replies.   @OILERMAN thread 436 replies.  Time to combine?

28 minutes ago, oldschool said:

you also can't expect to run Play action all the time. The Browns started blitzing guys off edge on expected play action downs which is where most of the pressure came from yesterday. mariota was absolutely pitiful on non play action throws yesterday. It's insane how bad he is when he drops straight back.

I saw this too. The good NFL defenses will nullify what MM actually CAN do and force him to drop back where he’s weak. We need to be able to put pressure on the good defenses, not just an undisciplined defense like the Browns.

He’s basically an RPO qb, which might work if they let him run more and not worry about an injury.  Hopefully that’s what the plan is for the elite teams they play, and it’s why they picked up RT.  We’re not gonna be a tanking team, so fuck it, let’s go for it. Let Marcus do what he can actually do well, and then bring in RT and do what he does well when MM eventually goes down. 

With Henry, the Titans have an exceptional offense that Mariota can execute.  Without Henry, Mariota looks terrible.

I'd say extend Henry safely and keep looking for a QB.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

The problem is he hasn't even shown he can be an effective, consistent game manager yet. Forget the rookie hopes of him becoming Rodgers. If he could even become Andy Dalton or Alex Smith then I'd be way more interested in re-signing him. He just hasn't done that yet. 

That first half was really bad yesterday. 

This. If he was Andy Dalton then with this roster, I get the argument for signing him. Not because he's going to develop into a top 10 QB, but because the roster is ready to win now and a guy like Dalton is good enough to win -- better than a rookie bust.

43 minutes ago, titanruss said:

what a bunch of fucking retards. 

I seriously can't believe the people in this board. They expect a brady type player like its the norm for this franchise. In the past 20 years, only Mcnair was close to that, but Mariota blows his numbers out of the water for first 4 years of starting. Who the HELL have we had that even comes close? 

7 minutes ago, SamoanTitan78 said:

I seriously can't believe the people in this board. They expect a brady type player like its the norm for this franchise. In the past 20 years, only Mcnair was close to that, but Mariota blows his numbers out of the water for first 4 years of starting. Who the HELL have we had that even comes close? 

Mariota's numbers his first 4 years are terrible for the #2 overall pick. If you just look at stats, he's clearly a bust.

41 minutes ago, cenj said:

Mariota's numbers his first 4 years are terrible for the #2 overall pick. If you just look at stats, he's clearly a bust.

There have only been 18 QBS in history taken at #2 overrall, Mariotas numbers beats them all ( including donovan mcnabb and archie manning ) so for you to say his numbers show hes a bust tells me your just a hater.......

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

With this roster, we almost have to go the veteran route. They won't be in position to take one early. 

Trying to do what KC did with Smith --> Mahomes seems like the best plan, imo. Easier said than done, of course.

They're kinda stuck here.  The options are either trade up (and use a lot of draft capital) to get a QBOF or sign a vet that comes free (Carr, Dalton, etc,).  I think they'll be drafting in the 20s and there seems like a bunch of teams might need qb's.  So I'd favor the sign a vet route.