Sign in to follow this  
Btowner

Texas' new gun laws

Earlier this year, the Texas legislature passed the following bills that went into effect on September 1st. Ironically, these laws went into effect a day after a gunmen killed seven and injured twenty one people in Odessa and Midland, Texas. 

• Allow licensed handgun owners to carry weapons in places of worship, including churches and synagogues.
  • Ban landlords and homeowners from prohibiting tenants to own, carry and transport guns on their property.
  • Prevent school districts from prohibiting licensed gun owners — including school employees — from storing guns and ammunition in school parking lots as long as ¡t is not in plain view.
  • Allow foster homes to store firearms.
  • Prevent citizens for being charged for carrying a handgun without a license while evacuating or returning to a declared disaster zone.
  • Allow disaster shelters to take in evacuees who have guns. 
  • Allow schools to have more armed marshals on campus. .
  • Defend licensed gun owners who unknowingly enter designated gun-free zones as long as they leave after being told about the policy.

Are these in conflict with the Governor's recent executive orders?

I saw a group called Texas Gun Sense (not sure of their affiliation or sponsorship).  They look  like a grassroots organization focused on advocating reasonable gun safety legislation while still maintaining a sensible stance on gun owner's rights.  If true, I hope more organizations like these take back the NRA's power and continue to push for reasonable, uniform compromises that most Americans want to see.

20 minutes ago, begooode said:

Are these in conflict with the Governor's recent executive orders?

Greg Abbott's eight executive orders are to improve law enforcement reporting channels, increase staffing to monitor social media, guidelines for distributing and monitoring the "Suspicious Activity Report".

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/09/05/texas-gov-greg-abbott-releases-executive-orders-after-mass-shootings/

None of these seem unreasonable to me..

3 hours ago, Btowner said:

Earlier this year, the Texas legislature passed the following bills that went into effect on September 1st. Ironically, these laws went into effect a day after a gunmen killed seven and injured twenty one people in Odessa and Midland, Texas. 

• Allow licensed handgun owners to carry weapons in places of worship, including churches and synagogues.
  • Ban landlords and homeowners from prohibiting tenants to own, carry and transport guns on their property.
  • Prevent school districts from prohibiting licensed gun owners — including school employees — from storing guns and ammunition in school parking lots as long as ¡t is not in plain view.
  • Allow foster homes to store firearms.
  • Prevent citizens for being charged for carrying a handgun without a license while evacuating or returning to a declared disaster zone.
  • Allow disaster shelters to take in evacuees who have guns. 
  • Allow schools to have more armed marshals on campus. .
  • Defend licensed gun owners who unknowingly enter designated gun-free zones as long as they leave after being told about the policy.

18 hours ago, HigherLogic said:

Unless this undoes previous laws, the first two would appear a violation of property rights.  

On 9/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, HigherLogic said:

I have a real problem with prohibiting landlords from preventing tenants to own and keep guns on the property. It’s my fucking property. You can own a gun, but that doesn’t mean I have to fucking rent it to you.