Sign in to follow this  
Rolltide

Willie Taggert and how political correctness hurts minorities.

3 hours ago, reo said:

So you don't have any basis for your assumption that he was hired bc of his race outside of the fact that he's black and has under performed?

There has been a lot of talk from folks like Stephen A and Shannon Sharpe and others that there needs to be more black coaches given a chance, just because. 

Ppl are so quick to call others racist for the dumbest things that there is no doubt in my mind universities are giving blacks a chance just to avoid being called out about being racist. 

To be able to pin that line of thinking to any one situation would be impossible without it coming from the person of power though.

Edited by JakePA_Titan

3 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

Disagree about Charlie Strong he had 2 great seasons his last 2 years at Louisville and was highly regarded as at defensive coordinator at Florida. 

Yet had to settle for the job at USF. And is 7-7 in his last 14 games. 

It's funny how he started 14-12 in his first two season at Louisville. He gets Bridgewater and all of a sudden has two great seasons and now he's a good coach. Not buying it. 

Perfect example of prisoners of the moment. Coach Steong got his name because Teddy was a damn good college QB and nothing else. 

2 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Yet had to settle for the job at USF. And is 7-7 in his last 14 games. 

It's funny how he started 14-12 in his first two season at Louisville. He gets Bridgewater and all of a sudden has two great seasons and now he's a good coach. Not buying it. 

Perfect example of prisoners of the moment. Coach Steong got his name because Teddy was a damn good college QB and nothing else. 

I get what you are saying but his 23-3 record his last 2 years at Louisville qualified him for a bigger job. He obviously failed while there. 

27 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

I get what you are saying but his 23-3 record his last 2 years at Louisville qualified him for a bigger job.

I get it. But that's fools gold. No different than Chip Kelly piggybacking off of Mariotas greatness as a college QB. 

It qualified Strong and Kelly in the eyes of the lazy folks hoping to find a quick fix. 

27 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

He obviously failed while there. 

Big time. I dont think Strong got the job solely based on the color of his skin. But I have no doubt there was conversation among the decisions makers that hiring a black coach would make them look good and take away any potential bad PR. 

1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I get it. But that's fools gold. No different than Chip Kelly piggybacking off of Mariotas greatness as a college QB. 

Mariota only started 1 season (2012) for Chip Kelly, so Chip hardly piggybacked off of him. Chip went to the Eagles after that lone season with Mariota, but had multiple solid/borderline great QBs in his offense prior to Mariota at that point.

• Dennis Dixon (Heisman front-runner before his injury in 2007)
  • Jeremiah Masoli (Solid QB but was kicked off the team I believe)
  • Darron Thomas (Great QB who led them to the Championship game)

IIRC, he was also courted by NFL teams prior to Mariota, so once again, he hardly piggybacked off of him. You may be getting Chip confused with Helfrich, Chip's OC at Oregon, who became HC after Chip went to the Eagles. Helfrich absolutely rode Mariota greatness and then immediately fell apart in the seasons after Mariota came to the Titans.

Edited by TitansFan777

10 minutes ago, TitansFan777 said:

Mariota only started 1 season (2012) for Chip Kelly, so Chip hardly piggybacked off of him. Chip went to the Eagles after that lone season with Mariota, but had multiple solid/borderline great QBs in his offense prior to Mariota at that point.

• Dennis Dixon (Heisman front-runner before his injury in 2007)
  • Jeremiah Masoli (Solid QB but was kicked off the team I believe)
  • Darron Thomas (Great QB who led them to the Championship game)

IIRC, he was also courted by NFL teams prior to Mariota, so once again, he hardly piggybacked off of him. You may be getting Chip confused with Helfrich, Chip's OC at Oregon, who became HC after Chip went to the Eagles. Helfrich absolutely rode Mariota greatness and then immediately fell apart in the seasons after Mariota came to the Titans.

Not to necessarily say you're wrong but, it was def Kelly I was thinking of. 

2011 is a long time ago so I don't really remember the attention he was getting from the NFL then.

Maybe I thought he piggybacked off Mariota because Chip failed to win a bowl game until Mariota was the starter. Maybe it was because he didn't jump to the pros until 2013, after he won with Mariota. 

I'm not sure but I definitely didn't think their seasons were as good as they were before Mariota showed up. He did have damn good years. Just couldnt finish. But it sure seemed like his named got a lot bigger after they won it all, with Mariota. 

13 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Not to necessarily say you're wrong but, it was def Kelly I was thinking of. 

2011 is a long time ago so I don't really remember the attention he was getting from the NFL then.

Maybe I thought he piggybacked off Mariota because Chip failed to win a bowl game until Mariota was the starter. Maybe it was because he didn't jump to the pros until 2013, after he won with Mariota. 

I'm not sure but I definitely didn't think their seasons were as good as they were before Mariota showed up. He did have damn good years. Just couldnt finish. But it sure seemed like his named got a lot bigger after they won it all, with Mariota. 

WTF are you talkin' 'bout Willis?

CK and the Ducks trounced Russel Wilson and the Wisco Badgers in the Rose Bowl with Darron Thomas behind center.

Then won the Fiesta Bowl against KSU and finished with a #2 ranking with Mariota.

That was when he left Oregon for Philly.

Helfrich failed at Oregon after Marcus left, but took that football brain of his to Chicago to good effect.  I don't think he's HC material because he's not a disciplinarian at all, but as an OC up in the booth, his ability to break down plays and defenses in his head on the fly is invaluable.

Numerous people told the same story about Helf.  It's that he can do Xs and Os in his head, and pick defenses apart with his playcalling, and recognizing schemes, player tendencies and shortcomings, and tweaks plays on the fly.

I have no doubt that Trubisky and Nagy owe Helf more than people realize.

10 hours ago, Rolltide said:

You mustache analogy is retarded.

And discriminating against future hires based on their skin color because someone with the same general skin color did poorly at another program isn't?

3 hours ago, OzTitan said:

And discriminating against future hires based on their skin color because someone with the same general skin color did poorly at another program isn't?

I did not say to discriminate against anybody. Where did you read that?

I said that if Taggert fails it could hurt the job opportunities for other black coaches. 

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

That’s just what people who are fixated on race do...

Lmao. Like those who find, actually look for, any reason to call someone a racist. 

He doesn't like black licorice. Racist!

10 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Lmao. Like those who find, actually look for, any reason to call someone a racist. 

He doesn't like black licorice. Racist!

It’s rolltide. We already have established his racism. This isn’t new for him.