Sign in to follow this  
Rolltide

Willie Taggert and how political correctness hurts minorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Taggart

Who is Willie Taggert you might ask? He is the head coach of Florida State university and so far has been a failure there. The reason I bring him up in the political section is that he did not deserve that hire. If he was white he would have never been considered for that job. He was experienced he had 7 years as a college head coach. 7 years where he had a losing record at 2 different schools. 

His record at Western Kentucky was 16-20. 

His record at South Florida was 24-25. 

His bowl record is 1-3. 

He "led" Oregon a program that averaged 10 wins a season in the previous decade to a 7-5 record. 

Does this look like the kind of track record that qualifies you to coach a top 10 college program and a $5M a year contract? No so when Taggert "led" Florida state to their first losing season since 1976(Yes 1976!) you had to wonder. Why?

The case against Taggert grows after he lost at home to Boise St. 

I know the typical libtard response to my post. Racist! As usual libtard thinking is bad for black people. You think Taggert's failures at Florida State will encourage more programs to hire a black head coach?

What galls me about Taggert is that he had a significant track record as a head coach. Some guys like Jimbo Fisher and Kirby smart are hired as coordinators who were never head coaches. This is a guy who had the opportunity to run three teams and was not successful with any of them. 

I don't really follow CFB and I have no idea who this is, but a few questions: why is this "political correctness"? why isn't it just a bad hire regardless of race? you seem to be suggesting he was hired because he was black. What's this based on?

You think Taggert's failures at Florida State will encourage more programs to hire a black head coach?

Accepting this point seems to also be accepting these programs were racist/incompetent enough to judge future HC candidates based on traits they share with an unrelated person. That'd be like saying 'that guy with a mustache failed badly over in that other program, so let's not hire people with mustaches'. That sort of thinking shouldn't be accommodated for - if that's a real concern, then those programs should be punished when they let a good hire bypass them because of some trivial reason, and maybe they'll change. Their racism/incompetence shouldn't dictate change elsewhere.

4 hours ago, OzTitan said:

I don't really follow CFB and I have no idea who this is, but a few questions: why is this "political correctness"? why isn't it just a bad hire regardless of race? you seem to be suggesting he was hired because he was black. What's this based on?

Accepting this point seems to also be accepting these programs were racist/incompetent enough to judge future HC candidates based on traits they share with an unrelated person. That'd be like saying 'that guy with a mustache failed badly over in that other program, so let's not hire people with mustaches'. That sort of thinking shouldn't be accommodated for - if that's a real concern, then those programs should be punished when they let a good hire bypass them because of some trivial reason, and maybe they'll change. Their racism/incompetence shouldn't dictate change elsewhere.

Just rolltide race baiting again. Feel free to ignore his pathetic ramblings. 

5 hours ago, OzTitan said:

I'm not pretending to be a mind reader but I do assume that a white person with the same coaching record would not have gotten that job. I could see a school like Arkansas hiring a guy like Taggert but not a top 10 program that wants to compete for the national championship every year. 

You mustache analogy is retarded. What country do you live in?

Do you guys ever do your homework when discussing topics?

Another stain on Taggert's resume was his tenure at Oregon. Not only did the team not do well with a 7-5 record but he had problems there. 3 players were hospitalized from excessively brutal workouts where they did an hour straight of up downs. 

If you are the AD at Florida state wouldn't you have a problem with him wanting out at Oregon after just one season? His first job with a major program and he wants out after one year and abuses his players? You hire him after that?

2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Do you guys ever do your homework when discussing topics?

Another stain on Taggert's resume was his tenure at Oregon. Not only did the team not do well with a 7-5 record but he had problems there. 3 players were hospitalized from excessively brutal workouts where they did an hour straight of up downs. 

If you are the AD at Florida state wouldn't you have a problem with him wanting out at Oregon after just one season? His first job with a major program and he wants out after one year and abuses his players? You hire him after that?

He didn't "want out" at Oregon per se.  But it was pretty well known, or heavily rumored, that FSU was/is Taggart's dream job, even before he took over at Oregon.

Everybody knew he'd bail if FSU came calling.

But he created his own set of problems in Eugene too, and it was reported that his family really didn't like it up here. 

Nobody I've ever talked to in/around the Oregon program misses him, or his ego.

3 hours ago, Rolltide said:

I'm not pretending to be a mind reader but I do assume that a white person with the same coaching record would not have gotten that job. I could see a school like Arkansas hiring a guy like Taggert but not a top 10 program that wants to compete for the national championship every year. 

You mustache analogy is retarded. What country do you live in?

So you don't have any basis for your assumption that he was hired bc of his race outside of the fact that he's black and has under performed?

2 hours ago, reo said:

So you don't have any basis for your assumption that he was hired bc of his race outside of the fact that he's black and has under performed?

I cannot read minds. 

11 hours ago, OzTitan said:

I feel the Longhorns did the same exact thing when hiring Charlie Strong.

They felt pressure to show they weren't a racist University or give the impression it was ran by racist ppl and hired a black coach to quiet that potential backlash. He failed miserably btw. 

It doesn't help that a lot of black media sports show folks continue to say they not just want, but that there needs to be, more black coaches. Especially at the collegiate ranks. 

It doesn't matter if ones resume or lack of success is not deserving. They just want to see a man of color in a higher position just because. And if it doesn't happen, to them it's because of racism. 

And now, Universities like Texas can say "we aren't racist, we gave Strong a chance!" and use that to be able to never hire a black coach again. Or at least for a while.

Edited by JakePA_Titan

According to 24/7 this was the rankings of the Florida State recruiting classes 2015-2018. 

2015-3rd

2016-3rd

2017-6th

2018-11th

Average rank 5.75. 

Probably 3 maybe 4 teams in the whole country that might have done better. 

Only 2 players from FSU were lost to the most recent NFL draft and 14 in the last 4 drafts. Alabama lost 10 players in the last draft and 39 in the last 4.  

Not sure how anybody can argue that the cupboard is empty there.  

6 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I feel the Longhorns did the same exact thing when hiring Charlie Strong.

They felt pressure to show they weren't a racist University or give the impression it was ran by racist ppl and hired a black coach to quiet that potential backlash. He failed miserably btw. 

It doesn't help that a lot of black media sports show folks continue to say they not just want, but that there needs to be, more black coaches. Especially at the collegiate ranks. 

It doesn't matter if ones resume or lack of success is not deserving. They just want to see a man of color in a higher position just because. And if it doesn't happen, to them it's because of racism. 

And now, Universities like Texas can say "we are racist, we gave Strong a chance!" and use that to be able to never hire a black coach again. Or at least for a while.

Disagree about Charlie Strong he had 2 great seasons his last 2 years at Louisville and was highly regarded as at defensive coordinator at Florida. 

Not aware of him almost killing players with his training tactics either. 

Edited by Rolltide