Sign in to follow this  
9 Nines

Is this crack stuff for Fire TV Stick 4K safe or a scam

He recommends allowing unknown party Aps then adding Downloader then going to his own page and downloading a bunch of aps for free cracked movies etc.

Think it is safe?

Edited by 9 Nines

Tons of people do this. It's like the new wave version of a cable cheater box

Yes it is safe, this particular youtube vid though I dunno. 

I have used YouTubers to crack multiple firesticks. Nothing bad has come from it. 

I think it's all bull jive scare tactics like ppl believing Reddit streams will be shut down. 

https://www.firesticktricks.com/jailbreak-fire-stick-illegal.html

Jailbreaking Fire Stick isn’t some rocket science and any kid with a little technological know-how can easily jailbreak/hack/unlock Fire Stick. But is jailbroken Fire Stick illegal? The answer is NO. Jailbreaking or hacking or unlocking your Amazon Fire TV Stick is definitely not illegal. It is purely legal simply because of the fact that it is your personal property. You can enjoy it the way you wish until and unless you’re not interfering with anyone else’s enjoyment of their property or infringing on any national statute.

What do you mean by "safe"? safe from what?

Recently, an android app with 100M+ downloads (CamScanner) was handed over to criminals and had malware in it for some time, before it was taken off the Play store. Also recently, Google security researchers uncovered a sophisticated hacking campaign that targeted iPhones and chained together multiple zero day exploits that installed a key logger and backdoor simply by visiting particular websites (which were hacked to serve the malicious payloads). This likely went without detection for at least 1 year, probably more.

So no device is really "safe". If all you use a fire stick for is to watch and stream, then you're not risking much. But I'd always assume the device is compromised - I'd think twice before authenticating to any account I cared about on it if it's running unsigned apps, although that's probably only a serious concern if you have to 'root' the device to 'jailbreak' it (which didn't seem to be the case here? unless I missed it). Otherwise you just have to worry about an app using some container escape/privesc exploit to get extra privileges like root, which is less likely (but still possible).

Be careful of apps that seem to ask for a lot of permissions. Don't use the device to do your banking. If you're extra paranoid, don't put it on the same local network as devices you care about.

I used to jailbreak firesticks all the time for 20 bucks a pop in college - people were either too lazy or just didn't know how to do it. Nothing bad ever happened. It really only takes a few minutes and some tedious typing with a remote, but its simple.

So just don't use your real amazon account with it or any real accounts linked to it?

What type of free programming can you get on it?