Texans actively shopping Clowney (Update: Traded to SEA)

reo

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Titans aren't getting Clowney.

I love Clowney. But no way can you give up a first rounder, we may need that for a QB.

Imagine if we did that, and then turned around and signed Jalen Ramsey.   Titans Report circa 2016 wouldn't know what to do with itself.

6 hours ago, oldschool said:

Ramsey won't be available for at least two years so that's a pipe dream. I think you are putting too much on a thin OLB core. Wake is 37 and could fall off a cliff. Hell he may already fallen off and we dont know it. Landry flashed last year but can he bring it game in and game out? If Vrabel truly thinks Clowney is an elite rusher then it makes sense to go after him as long as it's not for a 1st. The other factor is whether Mariota gets a big contract or not. If he doesn't they can afford to spend on Clowney since the next QB will be on a rookie deal. Either way I doubt a trade happens. More likely Clowney is a target in the offseason.

Well I definitely agree with you about him possibly being a target next year, to replace Wake. But as for this year I actually think the board is underestimating Wake & was kind of surprised that everybody almost seemed disappointed in the signing. I understand some trepidation about his age but he was just as dominant the last 2 years as he ever was. He's 37 but he's similar to how James Harrison was, a monster in the gym & literally never cheats on his diet.

To me he's almost a perfect signing. I love older players in FA because you oftentimes can get 1 or 2 more dominant years out of an old guy at a cut rate salary, as opposed to being saddled with massive, multi year deals for guys like Preston & Zadarius Smith, who are young but were never half the player Wake was.

As for Ramsey you're probably right but I'm just going by some of the rumors about Jax tiring of him.. ...

Also @oldschool, next offseason is going to be real interesting. Like you said, you have the QB question. But you also have Conklin coming up & the way he looks so far this preseason he's getting PAID. And the Raiders just blew open the RT market when they paid Trent Brown. Then you have Derrick Henry who could explode in his contract year. LoganRyan is due & while I love him I think Hooker was drafted to replace him.

Then the next year we have Jayon Brown. Nobody will agree with me but we nay have to let him walk. Can a small market team carry monster contracts at safety & ILB? 

11 minutes ago, Face said:

Also @oldschool, next offseason is going to be real interesting. Like you said, you have the QB question. But you also have Conklin coming up & the way he looks so far this preseason he's getting PAID. And the Raiders just blew open the RT market when they paid Trent Brown. Then you have Derrick Henry who could explode in his contract year. LoganRyan is due & while I love him I think Hooker was drafted to replace him.

Then the next year we have Jayon Brown. Nobody will agree with me but we nay have to let him walk. Can a small market team carry monster contracts at safety & ILB? 

Yes. Covering the middle of the field is the most important thing. It’s just like why Knights are the most important chess pieces. They aren’t all that flashy but controlling the middle is the most important aspect.

29 minutes ago, Face said:

Yeah when you dont have a franchise QB you can resign Rbs, LBs, RT and Safeties

42 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Yeah when you dont have a franchise QB you can resign Rbs, LBs, RT and Safeties

Ok, but I want Clowney next year and Ramsey the next year... That possible? ?

My guess is we don't keep Henry though.

Edited by Titans279

2 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Ok, but I want Clowney next year and Ramsey the next year... That possible? ?

My guess is we don't keep Henry though.

No chance Clowney hits FA next year if they trade him.

24 minutes ago, reo said:

No chance Clowney hits FA next year if they trade him.

There is a pretty decent chance this happens actually.

Because the Texans didn't trade him before 25th July, he only has two options this year.  Play under the Franchise tender or sit the season out.  Anyone trading for him, has to rely on him signing his franchise tender and playing the year under that.  They can't sign him to a long term contract until next season at the earliest.

They could theoretically tag him again next year or let him test the market and get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return.  A lot depends on where he ends up.