Fluellen has had knee surgery

AussieTitanFan08

46 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

How likely will the #3 even be needed though? I'd rather keep and extra OL with Lewan out. 

They generally keep an extra OL regardless. One is almost always inactive on game days.

As for the #3 RB spot, they don’t necessarily get carries but they play special teams and need to be ready in case of injury.

7 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Agree.

I'd love it McNichols went all Phillip Lindsay on the Titans and Lewis became relegated to the backup role.

At this point, the Titans need to not worry about giving certain players carries based on last years depth chart and just put the best players on the field.

21 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

McNichols needs to be ready to take over for Lewis. The guy is an absolute scrub. 

I certainly think they could cut Lewis next year. If so, it might make sense to hang on to McNichols as the cheap heir apparent.

If they like him...

It’s pretty obvious they’re keeping Fluellen on the roster which makes zero sense to me. Do hey really need a FB that much? I don’t want to cut a kid like Mack or Orr to keep a FB. Especially because he’s never played FB. Firkser actually did in college. Play him there, then you have a way to involve him more on early downs & he offers a lot more as a receiver out of the backfield. This offense uses the FB wheel a decent amount.

23 minutes ago, Face said:

It’s pretty obvious they’re keeping Fluellen on the roster which makes zero sense to me. Do hey really need a FB that much? I don’t want to cut a kid like Mack or Orr to keep a FB. Especially because he’s never played FB. Firkser actually did in college. Play him there, then you have a way to involve him more on early downs & he offers a lot more as a receiver out of the backfield. This offense uses the FB wheel a decent amount.

They like him as a RB and they wanted someone with the flexibility to line up at FB in short yardage. They aren’t keeping him to be a FB. They would be keeping him as a RB who can pitch in at FB occasionally.

And none of that precludes them from lining a TE up at HB (not FB). 

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Keeping a 4th RB, at least into week 1, seems likely. Good for McNichols.

Or maybe they keep Hewitt as a 5th TE to play FB. But he is a vet and his contract would become guaranteed if he is on the roster week 1.

I have 5 TEs and 4 RBs making the roster at present. 26 offense, 24 defense with a defense heavy PS.

28 minutes ago, tgo said:

I have 5 TEs and 4 RBs making the roster at present. 26 offense, 24 defense with a defense heavy PS.

That would be highly unusual. Maybe if they only keep 5 WR...

I think it’s either 4 RB or 5 TEs, but I’m leaning to 4 RBs right now.

43 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

They like him as a RB and they wanted someone with the flexibility to line up at FB in short yardage. They aren’t keeping him to be a FB. They would be keeping him as a RB who can pitch in at FB occasionally.

And none of that precludes them from lining a TE up at HB (not FB). 

Not sure if this is entirely accurate, remember reading a lot of the early training camp practice reports where Fluellen was in a lot of packages exclusively as a FB and was not being used at all as a traditional RB, he was actually catching more balls out of the backfield than receiving hand offs.

It seemed he was being developed exclusively as a FB and to continue his special teams work.

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

That would be highly unusual. Maybe if they only keep 5 WR...

I think it’s either 4 RB or 5 TEs, but I’m leaning to 4 RBs right now.

I hope McNichols shows them so much they have no choice but to keep him. Feels like he already has. Henry has a true back up in Fluellen so it'd be nice if Dion Lewis did too.

22 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Not sure if this is entirely accurate, remember reading a lot of the early training camp practice reports where Fluellen was in a lot of packages exclusively as a FB and was not being used at all as a traditional RB, he was actually catching more balls out of the backfield than receiving hand offs.

It seemed he was being developed exclusively as a FB and to continue his special teams work.

My take on that was that they wanted to make him more versatile, not to change him from a RB into just a FB. Otherwise, they would have simply added a guy who had experience as a FB who wasn’t at all a RB.