Arthur Smith’s Offense.

titanruss

A healthy Henry will change the play calling for sure, but I expect a pretty even pass/run ratio. I think Smith looks pretty competent so far, and I feel like he is going to put up a different offense than the years past. Will be interesting to see how exotic he gets.. 

On 8/20/2019 at 10:09 PM, nine said:

I wouldn’t read anything at all into playcalling in preseason....but I do think think we’ll see a lot more passing this year.  

IMO, they went a bit overboard with the whole “balanced” approach last year.  It often felt like they ran the ball just for the sake of staying balanced, regardless of whether it actually was working.

Part of that was because the run game was so ineffective. It aslo depends on if we see the Henry we saw the last part of the season. If he can repeat that kind of production, it's silly NOT to run the ball. I think it would make MM more effective.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:17 AM, OILERMAN said:

Henry can run out of 11 personnel but his 4 game streak to end the season had a bunch of base and heavy sets. They acquired Humphries and did little to upgrade the inline spot or the FB spot. 

I think the most important issues are throwing the ball on 1st down, the Titans were way too conservative in this area last year. This is the best spot to get the ball down field to Davis and even Walker for big plays, especially off of playaction. 

They'll likely have to be more conservative with Lewan out. It's hard to put Kelly on an island. 

I also think throwing on first down will be good for short gains to the RB and our new slot receiver. Short, easy passes are great on first down and give you a manageable down and distance and keep the defense guessing.

4 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Part of that was because the run game was so ineffective. It aslo depends on if we see the Henry we saw the last part of the season. If he can repeat that kind of production, it's silly NOT to run the ball. I think it would make MM more effective.

There's no way Henry repeats the production he had to end the year.

If he kept up that pace for a whole year it'd be 233 carries for 1397 yards and 20 TDs (6 yards per carry)!

2 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

If he kept up that pace for a whole year it'd be 233 carries for 1397 yards and 20 TDs (6 yards per carry)!

The yardage should be easy, though the TDs and YPC are unreasonable.

15 hours ago, AvgJoe said:

I believe last year LaFleur tried so hard to be smart that he was outthinking himself results be damned. I expect Smith with his personality to go with what’s working and keep going. 

There’s no way of knowing how much Vrabel influenced the playcalling and how much was MLF himself, but it seemed to me they focused more on the system than the results, which is fine.....as long as the system actually works.    

But we saw what happened:  NOBODY played well.  Inconsistent QB play, poor O-line play, and the RBs and WRs were inconsistent and ineffective for most of the season.   I’m sure LaFleur's  system probably looked great on paper...but the implementation was pretty bad.   Not just at QB or two or three positions.....it was bad across the board and left virtually every player at every position struggling.

I’m optimistic that Smith's approach will emphasize results over rhetoric and focus more on what players can or can't do...not just what he wants the system to look like.

3 hours ago, AvgJoe said:

I believe last year LaFleur tried so hard to be smart that he was outthinking himself results be damned. I expect Smith with his personality to go with what’s working and keep going. 

LaFleur was still in discovery mode with most of these players last season.  At least the first half.  Vrabel was too.

Smith doesn't have that issue.

10 hours ago, Titans279 said:

This is one problem, what Henry did late last season is not sustainable. 

Just running Henry is not going to get the Titans anywhere of note. 

Even on his streak the Titans got easily beat by the Colts and had to come from behind against the Jets, Skins and had trouble putting away the terrible Giants. You have to pass and score points. 

But I also think the team understands this, they acquired Brown, Humphries and yes Tannehill.