Marcus Locker

BudsOilers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s almost September 8th..... it’s almost September 8th...... it’s almost September 8th...... it’s almost September 8th...... 

Same as Mariota, on the injury report

How funny will it be if the Titans don't offer Mariota a second contract after this season and Mariota retires instead of signing elsewhere?

8 hours ago, freakingeek said:

He's got the 3rd best record in the NFL against teams with a winning record over the last 3 years. If anyone is comparing Mariota to Locker, they definitely have an agenda, despite what the stats say. Mariota had two of his best games against the superbowl teams last year. That would've never happened with Locker.

Exactly. Locker was a total fail against top defenses and couldn’t keep up with the best QB’s.

Also BudAdams those stats you listed about how short he throws, was that for his career & did you compare it with the other QB’? .Because I can tell you got those from FO &  they’ve also showed numerous times how he clearly throws downfield more then average.

And despite everyone blowing off the Cian Fahey piece he was spot on about how aggressive he is on 3rd downs, he rarely doesn’t throw past the sticks.. Last preseason gAme was another example of this, and it’s one of the most underrated qualities of a QB. He’s willing and able to throw into tight spots downfield on 3rd down.

This season will be really depressing if MM doesn't prove he's unequivocally a franchise QB.

No one (well, pretty much) actually wants him to fail. That means we're drafting a guy and back to waiting a few years to see if this guy will develop.

1 hour ago, Face said:

Also BudAdams those stats you listed about how short he throws, was that for his career & did you compare it with the other QB’? .Because I can tell you got those from FO &  they’ve also showed numerous times how he clearly throws downfield more then average.

And despite everyone blowing off the Cian Fahey piece he was spot on about how aggressive he is on 3rd downs, he rarely doesn’t throw past the sticks.. Last preseason gAme was another example of this, and it’s one of the most underrated qualities of a QB. He’s willing and able to throw into tight spots downfield on 3rd down.

Well you would be wrong....again.  The numbers are from Warren Sharp’s site for 2018.  The +8 % in passes at or behind the LOS correlated with a spike in completion %.  FWIW Mariota was 31st in Yards in Air.  Now Brady was 32nd. Of course Mariota has nowhere near the accuracy of from Brady - the best in accuracy plus (ball placement whereas Mariota was 34th).

As for 3rd down, Fahey used passer rating on 3rd and long to say Mariota was the best passer in obvious passing situations.  Of course the success rate was 34% so it usually did not translate into 1st downs.  Why?  because it doesn’t account for all of the sacks -16 which was the most in the list.  I’d add that #2 guy was Winston and he had a 41% success rate.

On 3rd down overall, Mariota was 15th in passer rating with a :38% success rate tied for 13th.

Of course that means 3rd and less than 7 was ugly.  Mariota was 29th in passer rating at 68.  The success rate was 42% also 29th.

Classic Mariota.  All over the place but at the end of the day he’s still been putting up Locker type production.  They’ll go to Tannehill in a heartbeat if that continues.

18 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Well you would be wrong....again.  The numbers are from Warren Sharp’s site for 2018.  The +8 % in passes at or behind the LOS correlated with a spike in completion %.  FWIW Mariota was 31st in Yards in Air.  Now Brady was 32nd. Of course Mariota has nowhere near the accuracy of from Brady - the best in accuracy plus (ball placement whereas Mariota was 34th).

As for 3rd down, Fahey used passer rating on 3rd and long to say Mariota was the best passer in obvious passing situations.  Of course the success rate was 34% so it usually did not translate into 1st downs.  Why?  because it doesn’t account for all of the sacks -16 which was the most in the list.  I’d add that #2 guy was Winston and he had a 41% success rate.

On 3rd down overall, Mariota was 15th in passer rating with a :38% success rate tied for 13th.

Of course that means 3rd and less than 7 was ugly.  Mariota was 29th in passer rating at 68.  The success rate was 42% also 29th.

Classic Mariota.  All over the place but at the end of the day he’s still been putting up Locker type production.  They’ll go to Tannehill in a heartbeat if that continues.

I’ll take a look at Sharp’s site, he’s very good. But he’s another guy who can use stats to tell a story. He loves Lamar Jackson, saying he has the best passer rating of any 21 year old or younger QB in history. Well I know Mariota had a much higher rating than 84.6 so I went back & looked & he turned 22 on Oct 30, so it didn’t count. But at that point his rating was close to a 100.

I know his air yards weren’t high last year, we threw a ton of screens. But the 3 years prior he was in the top 12 I believe. all 3 years.

I don’t defend MM against any & all criticism, I used to actually be pretty rough on the guy. But I mostly hate the perception that he’s a dink & dunker who doesn’t have the arm to make big throws & cant throw from the pocket, because it just isn’t true. It drives me insane that after 4 years he’s still airmailing receivers. I used to think it was sortve a yip that would rarely happen but it hasn’t changed. & I still read about it every practice. Drives me nuts. And I think he’s robotic in the pocket. He seems to have a difficult time determining when to commit to taking off & gets stuck in the middle of passing & running, which is something Locker used to do. And pocket feel is something that more or less comes naturally, like tracking the ball for a WR or corners getting their head around at the last second to play the ball. Tannehill seems to have the ability to stay calm in the pocket but also the intuitiveness to know when it’s time to take off. So he has positives that Marcus doesn’t. I also think MM does certain things better than RT.

But right now my main beef is with this obsession with every single play, and criticizing everything to the nth degree. I mean, when he’s gettijng ripped for the sack that Saffold fell on or he goddamn TD pass to Walker that’s not advancing anyone’s argument.

20 hours ago, Titans279 said:

This season will be really depressing if MM doesn't prove he's unequivocally a franchise QB.

No one (well, pretty much) actually wants him to fail. That means we're drafting a guy and back to waiting a few years to see if this guy will develop.

I think we can still have a good season without MM proving he is a franchise QB.  I think it's gonna take both QB's to get it done regardless.

and for some reason I think this team will look to bring in a vet next year and gamble on a QB later in the draft.  Not like way late but 2nd 3rd rounder.

47 minutes ago, Face said:

I’ll take a look at Sharp’s site, he’s very good. But he’s another guy who can use stats to tell a story. He loves Lamar Jackson, saying he has the best passer rating of any 21 year old or younger QB in history. Well I know Mariota had a much higher rating than 84.6 so I went back & looked & he turned 22 on Oct 30, so it didn’t count. But at that point his rating was close to a 100.

I know his air yards weren’t high last year, we threw a ton of screens. But the 3 years prior he was in the top 12 I believe. all 3 years.

I don’t defend MM against any & all criticism, I used to actually be pretty rough on the guy. But I mostly hate the perception that he’s a dink & dunker who doesn’t have the arm to make big throws & cant throw from the pocket, because it just isn’t true. It drives me insane that after 4 years he’s still airmailing receivers. I used to think it was sortve a yip that would rarely happen but it hasn’t changed. & I still read about it every practice. Drives me nuts. And I think he’s robotic in the pocket. He seems to have a difficult time determining when to commit to taking off & gets stuck in the middle of passing & running, which is something Locker used to do. And pocket feel is something that more or less comes naturally, like tracking the ball for a WR or corners getting their head around at the last second to play the ball. Tannehill seems to have the ability to stay calm in the pocket but also the intuitiveness to know when it’s time to take off. So he has positives that Marcus doesn’t. I also think MM does certain things better than RT.

But right now my main beef is with this obsession with every single play, and criticizing everything to the nth degree. I mean, when he’s gettijng ripped for the sack that Saffold fell on or he goddamn TD pass to Walker that’s not advancing anyone’s argument.

I'm waiting on you

16 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Let me to try to lighten the load.  Watch this video.  Problems are pretty apparent, no one needs to exert themselves criticizing everything to the nth degree.

This needs to be watched again.  A lot of these passes had no chance of being completed.  He's throwing into double and triple coverage.  That's what gets me.  He can't read the defense.  A few of these are mechanical issue related (ie floaters) but most of them you shake your head and say "WTF?"  

That's kind of why I don't buy the "he has had X coordinators in X years excuse" or the OL/WR sucks argument.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, BudAdams said:

Clearly it doesn't matter for the here and now but Mariota has been Hawaiian Locker.

What about Andrew Locker, that guy for the Colts who has become one of the least durable QB's in the NFL over the past 3 seasons.....:unsure:

3 hours ago, rns90 said:

This needs to be watched again.  A lot of these passes had no chance of being completed.  He's throwing into double and triple coverage.  That's what gets me.  He can't read the defense.  A few of these are mechanical issue related (ie floaters) but most of them you shake your head and say "WTF?"  

That's kind of why I don't buy the "he has had X coordinators in X years excuse" or the OL/WR sucks argument.

If they had him pass more or tried to open up the offense his numbers would be even worse. They protect him with the scheme and play calls. When they fall behind and he has to drop back it's always a total disaster 

35 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

If they had him pass more or tried to open up the offense his numbers would be even worse. They protect him with the scheme and play calls. When they fall behind and he has to drop back it's always a total disaster 

Actually, last year was the exact opposite.

In 2018, Mariota had seven games of >20 attempts.  His combined numbers in those games:

165/236, 1925 yards, 11 TD, 5 INT,  101.0 passer rating

He also had six games of 20 or fewer attempts.  His numbers for those six games:

63/95, 603 yds, 0 TD, 3 INT, 70.6 passer rating

32 minutes ago, nine said:

Actually, last year was the exact opposite.

In 2018, Mariota had seven games of >20 attempts.  His combined numbers in those games:

165/236, 1925 yards, 11 TD, 5 INT,  101.0 passer rating

He also had six games of 20 or fewer attempts.  His numbers for those six games:

63/95, 603 yds, 0 TD, 3 INT, 70.6 passer rating

20 passes? That's nothing in today's NFL plus the context in those games is glaring. I wonder if the Texans game when he padded his stats playing safe with no threat of coming back pads those numbers? Of course it does. He had 24 passes vs NE, which was a very good game but it was hardly opened up. 

Against the Ravens, disaster, they def pulled him from the Colts blowout because of what happened in the Ravens game and had him play super conservative down big against the Texans. 

The idea he does better with more pass attempts or with a more wide open passing attack is absolutely laughable. The coaches keep him from those situations at all cost. 

22 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

20 passes? That's nothing in today's NFL plus the context in those games is glaring. I wonder if the Texans game when he padded his stats playing safe with no threat of coming back pads those numbers? Of course it does. He had 24 passes vs NE, which was a very good game but it was hardly opened up. 

Against the Ravens, disaster, they def pulled him from the Colts blowout because of what happened in the Ravens game and had him play super conservative down big against the Texans. 

The idea he does better with more pass attempts or with a more wide open passing attack is absolutely laughable. The coaches keep him from those situations at all cost. 

This is absolutely true.  He has to get better and they have to be able to rely on him to throw when they need to.  Otherwise, he's useless and they need to move on.