Mariota, the Two point conversion and Locker's last games

9 Nines

Remember in 2014, right before he get demoted, Locker was running fairly reckless. He gave press conferences where he said he was going to play the game the way he wanted.  Basically, it played out that he was frustrated in the normal way a QB is supposed to play because he could not do that, so he began to run that way, putting his body in harms way because it was all he could do at that point.  He basically was doing the football equivalent to an ill prepared test taker all of sudden growling loudly while breaking his pencil when he could not complete the test.

I think Mariota, running and jumping recklessly in a meaningless preseason game that a true starter should have been handling as a warm-up exercise, is at that point also.  If so, he is probably on a path of self imploding the first few games before coaches throw-in the towel. 

Edited by 9 Nines

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, you should really warm up and stretch before you reach that hard.

I didn’t see that.   Look I’m the first to admit that Marcus’s stats have been lackluster and at times he’s been flat bad for long periods. He’s been ok This year so far but it’s year five a

He made a 8 second spot on NFLTV.  They said, "A preseason game.  With his injury history"  I have mentioned it, but I don't think people even begin to grasp the significance of that play.  You ever w

He may not ever be the great player we drafted him to be but hes still a competitor. Thats why he flips for a 2pt conversion in pre season and tackles a defender. Is it smart? Not really. Hes not going to stop though 

14 minutes ago, 10 A See said:

Would people be happier had he slid down at the 1? He's running full speed, so close to the goal line, instincts take over. He didn't intend to flip, the defender caused that to happen. He did leave his feet though, but otherwise he would've taken a big hit from the defender. 

Would have been the safe play everyone wanted but then his heart would have been questioned.

22 minutes ago, 10 A See said:

Would people be happier had he slid down at the 1? He's running full speed, so close to the goal line, instincts take over. He didn't intend to flip, the defender caused that to happen. He did leave his feet though, but otherwise he would've taken a big hit from the defender. 

Or use his athleticism to set up and evade the defender to the outside, or use the threat of still being a passer to set up and evade the defender to the outside.  For someone who made such a great play with his legs against Jacksonville in 17, he looks like he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing when he's a runner

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

I think Mariota, running and jumping recklessly in a meaningless playoff game

He made a 8 second spot on NFLTV.  They said, "A preseason game.  With his injury history"  I have mentioned it, but I don't think people even begin to grasp the significance of that play.  You ever watch Peyton Manning when there was a scrum on the ground.  He ran like it was a scrum of rattlesnakes.  Scared?  No, he knew he was way too valuable to take the chance for one fumble recovery.

Marcus is just a football player. It was really stupid, but he's a competitor. Hard to turn that off. 

That's also an indictment of a mobile QB. When a guy has been rewarded his entire career for going for it with his legs, his instinct will always kick in--he will never be able to turn that off.

I always thought he would take the next step after reports of his football IQ and "photographic memory" which seems to occur (laughably) in about half the QB's that Jon Gruden interviews. But his conservative behavior, lack of pocket presence, and tendency towards running instinctively have dampened his potential and development. 

His ceiling is Alex Smith, which is sad, cause I was hoping that was the floor. 

It was def retarded for him to put himself at risk, a real injury and it's very possible his career as a starting QB could be over. 

But he feels Tanny breathing down his neck. I'll guarantee he's watching Tanny in these games and considers it a competition. 

8 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

Just who he is..that's his game

A retard risking serious injury in a preseason game? So in a totally meaningless game that's who he is? Unable to deduct that staying healthy is far more important than a 2 point conversion?  

Smart QBs protect themselves

24 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

I actually agree. You haven't finished an entire season healthy yet. You risk that for PSgm2, 2 pt conversion? You think Vrabel wanted it that bad? Don't think so. I'm sure he is confident in RT but he's not in any hurry to see Mariota hurt. 

Remember, that was possession 4 after 3 straight duds going back to PSgm1. 

Mariota knows Tannehill is more than just an adequate backup. He feels the pressure. Either that or he's dumb to go against the risk/reward ratio just to show he's competitive.

I'm not reading that much into it. He's always shown a tendency to try to do too much when running the ball. I like that's it's a part of his football character but given his injury issues it needs to stop unless it's like a playoff game or something. I don't think what he did on Saturday was calculated at all, it was instinctive which sounds nice and all but it's a negative because it means he likely can't control himself in the moment and opens himself up to a stupid injury.