Jonboy

Preseason Week 2: Patriots @ Titans

3 minutes ago, VaTitan said:

I need to see more on the CD play to know if I agree w this, but it's been mentioned by others that the throw to DE was exactly where it needed to be.  Looked to me like there was a LB in zone closing the window, and MM had to throw it there to avoid a pick....basically putting it in the perfect spot.

The DL throw was clearly high, but he made the catch so....  Overall MM looked really accurate to me.  Does anyone know where we can find more camera angles from the game?

Accurate? Lol.

3 minutes ago, VaTitan said:

I need to see more on the CD play to know if I agree w this, but it's been mentioned by others that the throw to DE was exactly where it needed to be.  Looked to me like there was a LB in zone closing the window, and MM had to throw it there to avoid a pick....basically putting it in the perfect spot.

The DL throw was clearly high, but he made the catch so....  Overall MM looked really accurate to me.  Does anyone know where we can find more camera angles from the game?

Yeah, the 1st throw to Walker appears to have been thrown to the right spot. IIRC the window was closing as the safety was coming down in front of the ball. If Mariota leads Delanie there he gets lit up. He had to sit Delanie down right there in the middle of the window. It was thrown behind Walker but by design.

4 minutes ago, Carpy said:

It’s a fucking pre-season game where he threw 10 passes.  The last thing this site needs is more angles.

Hopefully some time before the season ends we will get back to analysing the other 52 players. 

Lol....I know it's annoying but Mariotas play this year kind of determines if we're going to suck for another 5yrs or so searching for a QB.

Outside of nitpicking every play, I think we can all agree that last night represented progress from the 1's.  I mentioned this in the TC threat, but seeing a progression (i.e. learning from mistakes) is what we should focus on vs the mistakes themselves...  This is what preseason is about....  

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

We have no idea yet

How was the pace? Were we coming to the line early? Were we waiting around on plays to come in?

Yea, “it’s a fucking preseason game”, he won’t be allowed to sit in the pocket on 3rd and 10 in a real game, they’ll force him to make a quick throw. 

What few isolations I saw of AJ Brown were impressive.  He seems to fit the bill of a strong guy that can create separation.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Obviously there were a few off target passes like the one behind Walker and the screen Lewis had to go up and get but I’ll tell you the play that really highlights Mariota’s flaws. 

The 3rd and 10 completion to Davis. 

MM drops back and held the ball forever, it was actually excellent pass pro to hold up. 

MM was holding the ball waiting for Davis to get open then threw it, Davis caught it and went down with no yards after the catch. 

You won’t have a top passing offense like this, no way. This is just what he is at this point. 

The QB has to throw with anticipation to targets on the move , he’ll that’s the strength of Davis. 

If you dont see or understand this then then you don’t know what you’re looking at. 

The throw was behind Delanie because it had to be. If he leads him it’s likely a pick, at the very least a PBU. There are plenty of plays to choose from to criticize MM, but this one is not one of them. 

Gonna try and watch the game in full today. I was watching snippets because it’s just preseason and I’d rather watch UFC fights. 

Judging by the game recap highlights, I came away still discouraged. Mariota looked better than he did the first game, but he was still too up and down. That throw to walker was a beauty. The throw to CD was dog shit. Tannehill looked good. 

Our defense and depth continues to impress. 

42 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea, “it’s a fucking preseason game”, he won’t be allowed to sit in the pocket on 3rd and 10 in a real game, they’ll force him to make a quick throw. 

Any thoughts on the TD pass to Delanie?

37 minutes ago, EnlightenedTitan777 said:

Any thoughts on the TD pass to Delanie?

It was fine. It was a basic throw against single coverage, nothing to celebrate in a preseason game. Nothing to get excited about. 

18 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

It was fine. It was a basic throw against single coverage, nothing to celebrate in a preseason game. Nothing to get excited about. 

It was a nice throw but the adulations being given over it are cringe worthy.