Who to draft at #4 in a 2 QB league?

abenjami

I'm in a league where we start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE).  So basically it's a 2 QB league.  I drew the #4 pick.

I think it's safe to assume Barkley and McCaffrey will be off the board top 3.  I'm probably looking at Kamara, Zeke or perhaps I go Mahomes.

What do you think?

25 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I'm in a league where we start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE).  So basically it's a 2 QB league.  I drew the #4 pick.

I think it's safe to assume Barkley and McCaffrey will be off the board top 3.  I'm probably looking at Kamara, Zeke or perhaps I go Mahomes.

What do you think?

Depends on scoring. Does the league handicap QBs with 4 point touchdowns or other scoring rules? If yes then I'd go with Kamara, unless you're confident the Cowboys will get things resolved with Zeke. In that case go with Zeke.

If QBs are scored the way they should be then you take Mahomes even if you picked #1, especially in a 2 QB league. Even with regression that guy is probably going to be a beast again with at least around 35 touchdowns and 4.2k - 4.5k yards. He'll pace all RBs. And if he has anywhere near the kind of season he had last year he'll pace them even with handicapped scoring rules.

Just now, abenjami said:

6 point TD passes, -2 INT, and half PPR.

Yeah, definitely Mahomes. No hesitation. But that's assuming one of the guys in front of you doesn't take him first, which they may do. I would. But if they do maybe it'll mean McCaffrey falls to you if stupidity raises its head and takes Zeke instead.

On a side note, I know the Yahoo league we're in is half PPR and a lot of people like it, but I don't get it. Why not just go full PPR?

9 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Yeah, definitely Mahomes. No hesitation. But that's assuming one of the guys in front of you doesn't take him first, which they may do. I would. But if they do maybe it'll mean McCaffrey falls to you if stupidity raises its head and takes Zeke instead.

On a side note, I know the Yahoo league we're in is half PPR and a lot of people like it, but I don't get it. Why not just go full PPR?

If someone takes Mahomes ahead of me, then I get either Barkley, McCaffrey, or Kamara.  There's no way I'm gambling on Zeke there.

I actually like half PPR.  Full PPR makes WR's and scat backs too valuable as compared to other RB/WR/TE.

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I actually like half PPR.  Full PPR makes WR's and scat backs too valuable as compared to other RB/WR/TE.

I get that... but they are at least putting work in. It's good to see that rewarded, especially if they catch a lot of passes. It's really no different than drafting a slot receiver you know is going to get a lot of of comeback routes, check downs, etc.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat.

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

McCaffrey scored almost as many points in PPR as Barkley did so yeah... nice little consolation prize.

The league I won last year was a 10 team full PPR. I had the 8th pick. I went Barkley at 8 and CMC at 13. Easy money. 

10 hours ago, Bink said:

Feel like you had to take Mahomes if he was there. I wouldn't cry over getting CMC, great consolation prize. Roster?

I was definitely going to take Mahomes but I was happy with the draft slot knowing I would get one of Mahomes/Kamara/Barkley/CMC.  I also ended up taking Devante Adams in the second round after he fell to me.

Here's my starting lineup.

QB - Mayfield

QB - Rothlisberger

RB - McCaffrey

RB - Montgomery

WR - Adams

WR - Amari Cooper

TE - Burton

DST - Chargers

IDP - JJ Watt

5 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I was definitely going to take Mahomes but I was happy with the draft slot knowing I would get one of Mahomes/Kamara/Barkley/CMC.  I also ended up taking Devante Adams in the second round after he fell to me.

Here's my starting lineup.

QB - Mayfield

QB - Rothlisberger

RB - McCaffrey

RB - Montgomery

WR - Adams

WR - Amari Cooper

TE - Burton

DST - Chargers

IDP - JJ Watt

Adams/Mayfield/CMC. That's sick. If David Montgomery hits you are going to kill it. 

44 minutes ago, Bink said:

Adams/Mayfield/CMC. That's sick. If David Montgomery hits you are going to kill it. 

Thanks.  I also have a decent stable of backup RB's with upside in case Montgomery doesn't hit.  I've got Miles Sanders, Peterson, Hyde and Ballage.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Yall drafted early. I'm in the same position.  Not in on Mahomes. He'd have to duplicate last season for me to take him at 4. And that ain't happening. 

You don't think you're being a tad unreasonable? Even if the guy threw 15 fewer touchdowns and 1k fewer yards, in a 6-point-per-TD and 1 point-every-25-yards league Mahomes would still score 370+ fantasy points. If it were 1 point every 20 yards that's around 415 fantasy points on 35 TDs and 4,097 yards. In PPR, Zeke scored around 392 points last year.

Mahomes and the Chiefs offense are one of the most potent offenses the league has ever seen and he has most of those skill guys back, minus Kareem Hunt. And they added another one in Mecole Hardman. Mahomes is most likely to toss at least 4.2k to 4.5k yards and around 40 TDs.

Also, you talk about Mahomes regressing, but don't expect those top backs to regress? Odell Beckham is gone in NY, McCaffrey will have competition for targets, and Zeke is worried about his bank account. Plus any of those guys could get injured on top of just not performing as well due to the fact defenses will be keying on them harder.

To each their own, and it's hard to fault anyone for wanting to go Barkley/McCaffrey/Zeke over Mahomes, but Mahomes did something only two other QBs in league history have done and there are no signs he's going to slow down. You could do a lot worse than Mahomes at 4... and you may not do any better.

Archived