Sign in to follow this  
9 Nines

Phillip Lindsay in zone blocking

9 Nines   

I was researching running backs moving from man to zone blocking.   Freeman is from a zone blocking scheme. I am not sure of Lindsay's college system.  What I found interesting for Lindsay is the comparison between him and Warrick Dunn. Similar build and running style. Warrick Dunn is a running back that actually did worse in a zone blocking scheme.  Here is a chart of percentage of runs and yards gained/lost for him between the two schemes. In man blocking, his yards per run were evenly distributed, while in zone blocking, his runs were concentrated around the 1-3 yards gains.  "The graph basically says "In 2004, Dunn was far more likely to get you positive yardage, but less likely to get you GOOD positive yardage"."   Lindsay was also below average in yards after contact last season, while Freeman was above average. 

HookDunn.gif

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2005/zone-blocking-vs-man-blocking

Edited by 9 Nines

Lindsay and Freeman are about as alike as Lewis and Henry in terms of how they're built physically, so YAC will be skewed regardless.

But running behind a Man Scheme vs Zone is different in that the hole isn't in a predetermined place in a ZBS like it is in Man.

In that way Zone runners need to have better vision for how the play is developing rather than just where the hole is at any given moment.

And better Zone runners help out their OL when they press, if they do it effectively, because pressing the backside of the line draws in defenders.

But lowering their head and hitting the B gap (or A gap or wherever) with power while maintaining your balance behind a man scheme is something some Z Running backs never master.  It's about trusting the hole to be there when the time comes.

Just like Murray struggled with the Zone plays, and finding the hole on his own.

Then there's guys like Gore, who managed to excel no matter what the scheme in front of them was.

I'm actually kind of surprised at how well so many of the Denver RBs did in both schemes, according to that article.