3 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

That’s a wrap!

Who we getting? Tua, Fromm, Eason, Herbert?! The possibilities are endless!

Herbert looks like he could be one of those guys people think looks the part and makes some amazing throws but he’ll be fundamentally unable to be an NFL QB due to inaccuracy. 

All I needed to read was people saying he has accuracy issues but they’re “fixable.” Yeah, sure. 

Edited by Titans279

15 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Even Beddingfield starting to doubt now?

Uh oh.  Even Blake!  The tide is definitely turning some.

The crux of Mariota’s accuracy issues are due to poor footwork and expecting that to suddenly change in year 5 is extremely unlikely.

Add in the habit of throwing the ball a tad late on anticipation throws and it’s a bad combo.

He is who he is.

Tannehill is very likely better than Mariota. 

The only edge Mariota may have, if you want to call it that, is that if you're playing ball control offense he may be less turnover prone because of his tepidity vs Tannehill's aggression. 

Other than athleticism/running ability that is. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Tannehill is very likely better than Mariota. 

The only edge Mariota may have, if you want to call it that, is that if you're playing ball control offense he may be less turnover prone because of his tepidity vs Tannehill's aggression. 

Other than athleticism/running ability that is. 

Well and hoping that Mariota can develop since he’s still 25 compared to RT being 31. 

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

Well and hoping that Mariota can develop since he’s still 25 compared to RT being 31. 

Neither are turning their game around, it’s going to be a game of talent around them and scheme putting them in position to succeed (not the opposite that great QBs are known for)... you can win with that talent level but you’ll never have some sort of dynasty or be a perennial threat

The challenge I have always had with Mariota’s athleticism and running ability is putting a tangible value on it.  To me, it’s not nearly enough to compensate for major issues executing a NFL passing game.

There’s no question Tannehill is the better passer.  It was actually startling to see the contrasts in how they looked dropping back to pass.

Edited by BudAdams

11 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The challenge I have always had with Mariota’s athleticism and running ability is putting a tangible value on it.  To me, it’s not nearly enough to compensate for major issues executing a NFL passing game.

There’s no question Tannehill is the better passer.  It was actually startling to see the contrasts in how they looked dripping back to pass.

The problem with Mariota's athletic ability is most QBs either have elite running ability like a Colin K or Cam Newton or elite scrambling ability to extend plays. Mariota is a tweener.

DeShaun Watson is a scrambler/runner. Russel Wilson is a scrambler. Lamar Jackson is an elite runner.

Mariota seems to be a marginal pocket QB and when he runs ... he's not really a threat to pass nor is he making back-breaking plays. So he's either stationary or running.

A tweener athletic QB who doesn't have the arm to hurt you when he leaves the pocket. You know who else was like that ... Alex Smith lol.

Edited by big2033

12 hours ago, abenjami said:

I don't know where to find those stats by QB but NFL.com publishes them by team.  And if you look at the yearly numbers of QB hits allowed by team, the Dolphins have given up a lot more QB hits.  In fact, since we drafted Mariota, our OL has typically been one of the better teams in the league at not having the QB hit.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

Barring last year, that's true. 

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The problem with Mariota's athletic ability is most QBs either have elite running ability like a Colin K or Cam Newton or elite scrambling ability to extend plays. Mariota is a tweener.

DeShaun Watson is a scrambler/runner. Russel Wilson is a scrambler. Lamar Jackson is an elite runner.

Mariota seems to be a marginal pocket QB who runs sometimes. And when he runs ... he's not really a threat to pass nor is he making back-breaking plays. So he's either stationary or running.

Agreed.  It’s relatively non impactful and I cannot remember the last time his ability to extend the play resulted in some wow play.  Stuff we used to see from McNair on a regular basis.

The Dolphins have had worse OL and passed a lot more often so that shouldn’t be a surprise. 

PFF blames MM for a lot of his sacks. How did RT compare?

Mariota may get killed without Lewan.  He's had the benefit of him locking down that side for years, but with Kelly, he's going to require far better pocket presence, and that's not likely to suddenly happen.  That 4th down play, he threw the ball late and didn't step up in the pocket and was just a Split second away from getting creamed.  That's really going to limit the offense.

5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Agreed.  It’s relatively non impactful and I cannot remember the last time his ability to extend the play resulted in some wow play.  Stuff we used to see from McNair on a regular basis.

That's the point/danger of an athletic QB. Technically, Mariota may be a more fundamentally sound QB over DeShaun Watson (I have no idea so don't @ me).

But for every wayward pass Watson throws he has a scramble and a 50 yard bomb that befuddles a defense. Same for Cam Newton.

Let's see what happens in the next 3 games before everyone crowns Tanny as the starter. Ryan Fitzpatrick looked like a HOF QB at times too. Until he'd throw 3 picks in a game. People are to quick to assume after 1 preseason game. And I'm not denying Tanny looked better in Philly, but it's ONE pre-season game.