QB Controversy

Denali

34 minutes ago, bosss50 said:

If Tannehill is this great QB why is Miami paying part of his salary to go play somewhere else.

He's a back up period!

Slow down hero, I've said numerous times, RT isn't some great QB.

I said he's better than MM, that's very far from great

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, the Titans' starting quarterback job "looks surprisingly wide open."

Mariota has reportedly done little to assert himself in camp this summer and is quickly losing ground to former Dolphins starter Ryan Tannehill, who completed 7-of-11 throws for 84 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's preseason loss to New England. Volin also cited a recent ESPN report that suggested Mariota is "no lock" to start while noting that some of the team's coaches prefer Tannehill. Even if Mariota is able to hold off Tannehill for the starting job, Volin said he figures to be on a "short leash." Heading into the final year of his rookie contract, the former Heisman Trophy winner could be nearing the end of his Titans tenure.

Mariota has reportedly done little to assert himself in camp this summer and is quickly losing ground to former Dolphins starter Ryan Tannehill… Volin also cited a recent ESPN report that suggested Mariota is “no lock” to start while noting that some of the team’s coaches prefer Tannehill. Even if Mariota is able to hold off Tannehill for the starting job, Volin said he figures to be on a “short leash…”

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-south/tennessee-titans/titans-mariota-tannehill-qb-job

15 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Mariota has reportedly done little to assert himself in camp this summer and is quickly losing ground to former Dolphins starter Ryan Tannehill… Volin also cited a recent ESPN report that suggested Mariota is “no lock” to start while noting that some of the team’s coaches prefer Tannehill. Even if Mariota is able to hold off Tannehill for the starting job, Volin said he figures to be on a “short leash…”

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-south/tennessee-titans/titans-mariota-tannehill-qb-job

Titans coaching are leaking this stuff to reporters and/or Tannehill looks that much better in practice. 

Edited by 9 Nines

24 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Here is the actual Boston Globe excerpt The Spun is repackaging lol.

Finally, Tennessee’s quarterback position looks surprisingly wide open. The Titans may have given Marcus Mariota his fifth-year option this year ($20.922 million salary), but they aren’t giving him a contract extension, and in fact gave him strong competition by signing former Dolphins starter Ryan Tannehill.

While Mariota hasn’t stood out this preseason (this column was written before Saturday night’s game), Tannehill threw for 130 yards and two touchdowns in the first exhibition game. And one report from ESPN this past week stated that Mariota is no lock to start in Week 1, with some of the Titans coaches preferring Tannehill, who ran a similar offense in Miami.

Even if Mariota does win the starting job at first, he certainly won’t be on a long leash.

It seems a little different in tone and it seems silly to have someone digest and slight rephrase the content.

Edited by Titans279

Reposting this that I posted in the spring because it seems germane to the "accuracy" discussions that have been floating around. This can also explain a large part of why RT looks so much better out there. He throws the ball really well!

PFF: Tannehill among the most accurate ball placement in 2018

Tannehill was #5 in accurate ball placement to open targets, and tied for #1 with Drew Brees for accurate ball placement to targets with up to two steps of separation. He wasn't in the top 5 for tight coverage throws. Mariota was not in the top 5 in any of these categories.

It would be interesting to see where Mariota ranked, and where Tannehill ranks on tight coverage throws if someone has the ability to post that.

If this remains true next year the offense might run smoother with Tannehill than Mariota.

Philip-Rivers-LAC_Accurate-Ball-Placemen

Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans: 77.6%

Tannehill didn’t have the best of years in 2018, but he’ll get to start afresh with the Titans next season. A strong facet of Tannehill’s game last year was his work to open targets, where he fielded a 118.0 passer rating and a 77.6% accuracy rate.

Drew-Brees-NO_Accurate-Ball-Placement-St

Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans: 71.2%

Tying with Brees for the top spot, an impressive 71.2% of Tannehill’s attempts to receivers with up to two steps of separation were deemed to be accurate. Tannehill completed 42-of-60 such attempts for 455 yards, five touchdowns and one interception last year.

Anyone able to look up where Tannehill ranked on tight window throws and/or how Mariota ranked in these categories?

Edited by Titans279

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Here is the actual Boston Globe excerpt The Spun is repackaging lol.

It seems a little different in tone and it seems silly to have someone digest and slight rephrase the content.

Looked like the Boston Globe article was behind a paywall so I couldn't pull from that. The tone doesn't strike me as all that different. The tweets are from Volin, the guy who wrote the Globe article.