QB Controversy

Denali

2 minutes ago, titanruss said:

we need him good before casey gets old some we can have a couple of dominating years there. 

Yep. Casey has tops 3 years left of being a dominant player. If we keep the core together then I could see next year being the best defense we’ve fielded since 2000.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Watching tape of the guy I can see why that was their decision. He’s one of those DL who can play 3 downs and anchor at all times while beating offensive linemen with a variety of moves on passing downs. Teams will have fits figuring out who to single up between him and a healthy Casey. 

When watching his highlights before the draft one thing that stood out was his arm length, opposition OL struggled to handle him as he was constantly getting the initial punch with his extra reach.

3 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

When watching his highlights before the draft one thing that stood out was his arm length, opposition OL struggled to handle him as he was constantly getting the initial punch with his extra reach.

He has this strange delay move I’ve watched. I think it comes from his assignment, but you could see it all the time in his film. He would stand offensive linemen up and then absolutely rag doll them as soon as he decided it was time.  The guy is one of the best pure 1 techs to come out in a long time. 

The most damning thing for me is MM’s footwork/mechanics in year 5.  If a 7 step drop turns into a 9 step drop? - I’m not sure you can fix things like that going forward.  I remember that be an emphasis when Mularkey was here.  It proves MM has extreme talent to still be in the conversation as a starting QB in the NFL year 5 but not be able to take a 7 step drop consistently.

12 minutes ago, FRT said:

The most damning thing for me is MM’s footwork/mechanics in year 5.  If a 7 step drop turns into a 9 step drop? - I’m not sure you can fix things like that going forward.  

If you remember back in OTAs when MM was asked about it he said he wasn't changing anything when asked about working on his mechanics etc..... At this point I really don't think you can change it. #TheHawaiianTebow

I think they'll just work around it at this point and ask him to do things he's better at.

But when you don't have good footwork and mechanics you'll be mediocre passing the ball over the course of a season

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

If you remember back in OTAs when MM was asked about it he said he wasn't changing anything when asked about working on his mechanics etc..... At this point I really don't think you can change it. #TheHawaiianTebow

I think they'll just work around it at this point and ask him to do things he's better at.

But when you don't have good footwork and mechanics you'll be mediocre passing the ball over the course of a season

The inconsistent mechanics has been a constant issue and there's zero evidence that it will change in year 5.  Anyone who knows anything about QB play knows that this is a huge reason why his accuracy is so scattered.  When you cannot count on the QB to execute a basic pass play like the one to Jennings, ugh.  It's not like this is new. He's been leaving plays and yards on the field for the last 3 OC's on a consistent basis.

The coaches know this.  They will do their best to avoid him from having to drop back and pass to avoid another Ravens game.  Instead, it will be like the Texans game where the defense lets the Titans rack up meaningless yards and burn the clock up with quick, safe throws that any NFL QB can do.

11 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The inconsistent mechanics has been a constant issue and there's zero evidence that it will change in year 5.  Anyone who knows anything about QB play knows that this is a huge reason why his accuracy is so scattered.  When you cannot count on the QB to execute a basic pass play like the one to Jennings, ugh.  It's not like this is new. He's been leaving plays and yards on the field for the last 3 OC's on a consistent basis.

The coaches know this.  They will do their best to avoid him from having to drop back and pass to avoid another Ravens game.  Instead, it will be like the Texans game where the defense lets the Titans rack up meaningless yards and burn the clock up with quick, safe throws that any NFL QB can do.

This is where the hyperbole gets out of hand. They arent going to run the wishbone due to Mariota's passing skills. Hes clearly inconsistent and likely has reached his ceiling however he's not a RB playing QB like some claim.

Who said that???  I didn’t even mention his running because it’s usually a non factor or results in him getting injured.  

I’m not saying they won’t pass the ball but it will heavily schemed with hope that he executes.  One read throws, heavy play action, bubble screens, ....

17 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is where the hyperbole gets out of hand. They arent going to run the wishbone due to Mariota's passing skills. Hes clearly inconsistent and likely has reached his ceiling however he's not a RB playing QB like some claim.

This is probably the most annoying thing. 

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

Who said that???  I didn’t even mention his running because it’s usually a non factor or results in him getting injured.  

I’m not saying they won’t pass the ball but it will heavily schemed with hope that he executes.  One read throws, heavy play action, bubble screens, ....

I think JRob's offseason acquisitions speak volumes as to the organization's thoughts on last year's issues.....not just for the QB position, but for the roster as a whole.

Multiple positions were addressed and upgraded via the draft and free agency.  Multiple starters were replaced;  others have seen their roles diminished and are at risk of losing their roster spot due to inconsistency and poor play.

If JRob and Vrabel were similarly frustrated with Mariota and felt his limitations handcuffed the offense,  they would have been far more aggressive about addressing it.    JRob was very aggressive about upgrading the QB2 position....but even with the Tannehill acquisition, there's been no indication whatsoever that Mariota's job is at risk.

The lack of a contract extension clearly shows they're not sold on Marcus;  they need more out of him.   But by the same token, if they were as down on him as many are suggesting, they would have already laid groundwork for his exit by investing in a potential long-term solution at QB....not just a one-year band-aid. 

7 minutes ago, nine said:

I think JRob's offseason acquisitions speak volumes as to the organization's thoughts on last year's issues.....not just for the QB position, but for the roster as a whole.

Multiple positions were addressed and upgraded via the draft and free agency.  Multiple starters were replaced;  others have seen their roles diminished and are at risk of losing their roster spot due to inconsistency and poor play.

If JRob and Vrabel were similarly frustrated with Mariota and felt his limitations handcuffed the offense,  they would have been far more aggressive about addressing it.    JRob was very aggressive about upgrading the QB2 position....but even with the Tannehill acquisition, there's been no indication whatsoever that Mariota's job is at risk.

The lack of a contract extension clearly shows they're not sold on Marcus;  they need more out of him.   But by the same token, if they were as down on him as many are suggesting, they would have already laid groundwork for his exit by investing in a potential long-term solution at QB....not just a one-year band-aid. 

Right.  Basically what they've done is said "Here Marcus, it's all up to you.  We've given you the pieces.  Now produce and stay on the field and you'll be around for a while and paid well.  Don't produce or stay on the field then it's been nice knowing you."

I really don't get why this has been so hard to figure out.

I don't think there's a member of that organization that doesn't want Mariota to be the QB for the next 10 seasons or so.

And they got Tannehill, well, because he's a proven starter, he's cheap and it's always good to have a good backup.  So why not?

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Instead, it will be like the Texans game where the defense lets the Titans rack up meaningless yards and burn the clock up with quick, safe throws that any NFL QB can do.

Lol 

No it isn't hard when you look at it objectively.

1.  The 20.9 M was a guaranteed sunk cost as Mariota ended the year injured with supposedly a bazillion injuries.  The team had zero chance of pulling the 5th year option without a grievance that the Titans surely would not win.

2.  Given 20.9 M was tied up at QB, the options to add to the position and have a comparable alternative really came down to Tannehill once he modified his contract.  They could have drafted a future guy but clearly they were not sold on players available in the slots they had.  Add in that they openly stated they wanted Tannehill to push him.  No team with a good starting QB situation uses that kind of language when trading for the backup.

3.  Offensively, look what they run with Mariota at the helm.  It's a ton of RPO's, quick one read passes, or pass plays dependent on play action.  Even with that, he's consistently missing open receivers whether it's OTA's, TC, or in real games.

4.  They absolutely upgraded other roster spots but there's a flip side to their motives.  Yes, it gives Mariota a final chance to have better talent around him but that also applies to any QB - Tannehill, a draftee, another veteran.   You could have Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, and Gronk out there and it doesn't matter if your QB is sailing balls or throwing it late because they cannot execute the fundamentals of a timing passing game.

5.  In addition, none of this takes away from the QB centric issues Mariota has that have nothing to do with coaches or surrounding talent.  He cannot consistently protect himself from injury nor can he consistently throw accurate NFL level passes.  With the poor mechanics constantly at play, he'll always be an inconsistent passer until that gets fixed.  It's year 5, odds of him becoming mechanically sound are extremely unlikely.  Of course, this is why the team has zero interest in a commitment beyond this year. 

The scheme with him and the zero interest in extending him speak volumes of what the team thinks.  Can Marcus change their view if he actually becomes a good QB?  Sure.  Does it look like it's reasonably possible given what we've seen in OTA's,, TC, and PSG1? 

3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

No it isn't hard when you look at it objectively.

1.  The 20.9 M was a guaranteed sunk cost as Mariota ended the year injured with supposedly a bazillion injuries.  The team had zero chance of pulling the 5th year option without a grievance that the Titans surely would not win.

2.  Given 20.9 M was tied up at QB, the options to add to the position and have a comparable alternative really came down to Tannehill once he modified his contract.  They could have drafted a future guy but clearly they were not sold on players available in the slots they had.  Add in that they openly stated they wanted Tannehill to push him.  No team with a good starting QB situation uses that kind of language when trading for the backup.

3.  Offensively, look what they run with Mariota at the helm.  It's a ton of RPO's, quick one read passes, or pass plays dependent on play action.  Even with that, he's consistently missing open receivers whether it's OTA's, TC, or in real games.

4.  They absolutely upgraded other roster spots but there's a flip side to their motives.  Yes, it gives Mariota a final chance to have better talent around him but that also applies to any QB - Tannehill, a draftee, another veteran.   You could have Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, and Gronk out there and it doesn't matter if your QB is sailing balls or throwing it late because they cannot execute the fundamentals of a timing passing game.

5.  In addition, none of this takes away from the QB centric issues Mariota has that have nothing to do with coaches or surrounding talent.  He cannot consistently protect himself from injury nor can he consistently throw accurate NFL level passes.  With the poor mechanics constantly at play, he'll always be an inconsistent passer until that gets fixed.  It's year 5, odds of him becoming mechanically sound are extremely unlikely.  Of course, this is why the team has zero interest in a commitment beyond this year. 

The scheme with him and the zero interest in extending him speak volumes of what the team thinks.  Can Marcus change their view if he actually becomes a good QB?  Sure.  Does it look like it's reasonably possible given what we've seen in OTA's,, TC, and PSG1? 

You?  Objective?

Define constantly.  His completion % was near the top of the league last year.

I can't believe I'm even engaging you.