QB Controversy

Denali

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

13 hours ago, Titans279 said:

It makes no sense that they know they will say goodbye to MM and think RT is better given they named Mariota the starter, did not have an open competition, have given Mariota all the practice time, and played him as the starter. 

The explanations that makes sense of the facts are:

thinking MM is better than RT, 

still believing he could turn it around and be the future, or

being forced to by AAS. 

I dont agree with Oman's premise. If it's true then jrob should be criticized for not doing something about the QB position in the offseason. The more likely scenario is they want to see if he turns it around based on the team's investment in Mariota. 

7 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I dont agree with Oman's premise. If it's true then jrob should be criticized for not doing something about the QB position in the offseason. The more likely scenario is they want to see if he turns it around based on the team's investment in Mariota. 

I don't think the team has already made a decision and know what they are going to do at year end.  It's in the teams interest for MM to work out.  As I posted in another thread, QB hell is not a good place to be.

11 minutes ago, oldschool said:

They did do something about the QB position, they got the best QB available 

2 minutes ago, ctm said:

I don't think the team has already made a decision and know what they are going to do at year end.  It's in the teams interest for MM to work out.  As I posted in another thread, QB hell is not a good place to be.

For MM to work out? It’s year 5 and can’t effectively pass the ball. It would take an unrealistic turn around and he’s no where close

33 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

For MM to work out? It’s year 5 and can’t effectively pass the ball. It would take an unrealistic turn around and he’s no where close

I didn't say it would or that it was realistic.

I said it was in the team's interest for it to work out and not to have to look for a new QB.

Edited by ctm

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

If Oman is right and J-Rob et al "know what they have" in Mariota aka he sucks, then IMO it's a fireable offense. It would take offensive levels of decision-making to continually hamstring your team with a QB you believe is a bum and not do anything to try to acquire a legit starter or QBOTF. If the staff really thinks Mariota is that bad and they didn't do everything they could to take a QB in the last draft, that's unacceptable. I really doubt this is the case though.

Yeah. That whole scenario being pushed is silly.  It’s simple.  JRob and Vrabel have no ties to Mariota. They aren’t going to start a guy who they feel is worse. And Strunk let JRob gut Mularkey like a fish after he won a playoff game so I doubt she is demanding Mariota start. Just sit back and know confidently that this will be handled the right way. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

They did do something about the QB position, they got the best QB available 

You don't sign a fringe starter who bombed out with another franchise if you are convinced the current guy is done. They signed Tannehill to hedge their bets and have insurance if Mariota flames out or gets injured this year. Honestly it looks like you are going to end up being right about Mariota so there is no need to take it this far.

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

You don't sign a fringe starter who bombed out with another franchise if you are convinced the current guy is done. They signed Tannehill to hedge their bets and have insurance if Mariota flames out or gets injured this year. Honestly it looks like you are going to end up being right about Mariota so there is no need to take it this far.

Mariota’s contract is guaranteed and just because you need a legit QB they don’t exactly grow on trees 

3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

It really wouldn't matter if JRob drafted Mariota and Vrabel was the coach.  You don't let the guy take you down if you think you might a better option.  It is unlikely they really planned on Tannehill taking over as a better option but more so as insurance as stated.  Still, Tannehill "bombed out" but he wasn't pure manure either.  Not like Gabbert, Ponder, Locker ad other guys like that.  There is some glimmer of hope for Tannehill resurrecting his career IMO.  

I guess if JRob had drafted him at least you would know there was something there that he liked about him initially....as it is now we really don't know if Mariota is his kinda QB at all.  Not much but it's something.  It would make me feel a little better if I was Mariota.

I think it's safe to say that JRob knew what kinda coach he wanted and it wasn't Mularkey.  He bides his time and makes a move.

Tannehill and Mariota are both not signed for next year.  They are on one year deals as it is.  Really seems to me this is part of JRobs plan and we will have 2 new QBs next year.

Either way Tannehill is better than Gabbert and had he been on the team last year he could have made a difference.  We got 2 guys and I don't care who plays...my guess is it will take both of them.

9 minutes ago, abenjami said:

A QB controversy would be the best thing for Mariota.  We all know he's a fired up alpha male and that will finally shine if he feels the heat.

LOL

I actually don't think it would rattle him much. He expresses the emotional range of a common house plant.