QB Controversy

Denali

11 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The challenge I have always had with Mariota’s athleticism and running ability is putting a tangible value on it.  To me, it’s not nearly enough to compensate for major issues executing a NFL passing game.

There’s no question Tannehill is the better passer.  It was actually startling to see the contrasts in how they looked dripping back to pass.

The problem with Mariota's athletic ability is most QBs either have elite running ability like a Colin K or Cam Newton or elite scrambling ability to extend plays. Mariota is a tweener.

DeShaun Watson is a scrambler/runner. Russel Wilson is a scrambler. Lamar Jackson is an elite runner.

Mariota seems to be a marginal pocket QB and when he runs ... he's not really a threat to pass nor is he making back-breaking plays. So he's either stationary or running.

A tweener athletic QB who doesn't have the arm to hurt you when he leaves the pocket. You know who else was like that ... Alex Smith lol.

Edited by big2033

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I know.  Some of you think this isn't even a controversy at this point, but I'll ask anyway.   Who wins the training camp battle for backup QB? Woodside or Mariota?  

Joel’s pulled his cock out of Gabbert’s ass and went straight to Tannehill!

Dolphins fan here. I wanted to check in to see what Titans fans thought of RT so far. I liked him in Miami, and felt like he had more in him than the coaches ever got out of him. I'm rooting for him t

12 hours ago, abenjami said:

I don't know where to find those stats by QB but NFL.com publishes them by team.  And if you look at the yearly numbers of QB hits allowed by team, the Dolphins have given up a lot more QB hits.  In fact, since we drafted Mariota, our OL has typically been one of the better teams in the league at not having the QB hit.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

Barring last year, that's true. 

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The problem with Mariota's athletic ability is most QBs either have elite running ability like a Colin K or Cam Newton or elite scrambling ability to extend plays. Mariota is a tweener.

DeShaun Watson is a scrambler/runner. Russel Wilson is a scrambler. Lamar Jackson is an elite runner.

Mariota seems to be a marginal pocket QB who runs sometimes. And when he runs ... he's not really a threat to pass nor is he making back-breaking plays. So he's either stationary or running.

Agreed.  It’s relatively non impactful and I cannot remember the last time his ability to extend the play resulted in some wow play.  Stuff we used to see from McNair on a regular basis.

Mariota may get killed without Lewan.  He's had the benefit of him locking down that side for years, but with Kelly, he's going to require far better pocket presence, and that's not likely to suddenly happen.  That 4th down play, he threw the ball late and didn't step up in the pocket and was just a Split second away from getting creamed.  That's really going to limit the offense.

5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Agreed.  It’s relatively non impactful and I cannot remember the last time his ability to extend the play resulted in some wow play.  Stuff we used to see from McNair on a regular basis.

That's the point/danger of an athletic QB. Technically, Mariota may be a more fundamentally sound QB over DeShaun Watson (I have no idea so don't @ me).

But for every wayward pass Watson throws he has a scramble and a 50 yard bomb that befuddles a defense. Same for Cam Newton.

Let's see what happens in the next 3 games before everyone crowns Tanny as the starter. Ryan Fitzpatrick looked like a HOF QB at times too. Until he'd throw 3 picks in a game. People are to quick to assume after 1 preseason game. And I'm not denying Tanny looked better in Philly, but it's ONE pre-season game. 

47 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

The Dolphins have had worse OL and passed a lot more often so that shouldn’t be a surprise. 

PFF blames MM for a lot of his sacks. How did RT compare?

Source? I thought it literally said the opposite but I could be wrong.

35 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

If this post is true (which wouldn't surprise me) it speaks volumes of his mental problems. I almost believe it would kill him to throw a pass leading a reciver and the guy runs 50 yards for a TD. He had rather throw a 50 yard TD. He delights in those highlights where he runs for the end zone and dives for the pylon with the football extended. Once he leaves the pocket it's all about him running. He needs this adulation. Simply putting a ball in a tight window isn't enough. Most all his short passes are to stationary targets. His deep balls are to a specific place on the field. He only trusts Walker so he throws those seam routes, although Davis is getting there. Adding Humphries is exactly what he needed. Since he can't escape the pocket, now he has a 5-10 yard relief valve. This guy us a head case. I've been saying it for a long time. He's not going to improve or work on anything. He is what he is.

Simple Joel?