Jonboy

Preseason Week 1: Titans @ Eagles Game Thread

Mythos27   
9 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It has to be the injuries. I have no other explanation. Inconsistency is one thing, but last night was different. I could have thrown that ball harder than Mariota. I mean it was a clean read wide open and that’s the pass? I don’t know what to think, but as soon as I saw that pass I knew he was basically finished. 

It was weird though because that last tight window throw to Humphries between two defenders had plenty of zip and it wasn't much further away than the crossing route he threw behind the receiver just a few plays before. I want to say his arm is totally shot but then he flashes the ability to throw a little heat so I'm left to think he's choosing to throw these lob-like balls which then makes me think "who the fuck would willingly throw like that"? It's weird and it definitely didn't exist his first 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It was weird though because that last tight window throw to Humphries between two defenders had plenty of zip and it wasn't much further away than the crossing route he threw behind the receiver just a few plays before. I want to say his arm is totally shot but then he flashes the ability to throw a little heat so I'm left to think he's choosing to throw these lob-like balls which then makes me think "who the fuck would willingly throw like that"? It's weird and it definitely didn't exist his first 2 years.

I don’t know either. That pass to Jennings was inexcusable. 

33 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Oof, you're not going to find many people that agree that a 5th year QB looking bad in the preseason against vanilla defenses means nothing. If he plays well against those defenses it's meaningless because he's supposed to but bad play certainly matters. Concern about Mariota is warranted, saying that it's all said and done isn't yet IMO.

Matt Ryan has been pretty mediocre in the preseason the past couple years, but he's still been one of the best QBs in that span. Brady has had some pretty shit preseasons over the years too. So on and so forth.

The concern with Mariota should be his injuries and inconsistent play over his 4 years in the NFL. Preseason shouldn't even be thought about.

Mythos27   
1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Matt Ryan has been pretty mediocre in the preseason the past couple years, but he's still been one of the best QBs in that span. Brady has had some pretty shit preseasons over the years too. So on and so forth.

The concern with Mariota should be his injuries and inconsistent play over his 4 years in the NFL. Preseason shouldn't even be thought about.

Neither has been as bad as Mariota looked last night. He was below average at best. He needs to kill it the next few weeks and make people forget his performance last night. I'm rooting for him but that's the truth.

32 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

This is who he is. Go watch preseason tape from years 1 and 2 like I did this morning. It was sobering...

43 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Back before he hadn't been cold-pressed through Mularkey's bullshit tenure?