Let's discuss solutions to immigration

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It just depends on the issue. I’m a big liberal in general but there are issues where I do not agree with my fellow liberals.   I would hardly consider myself a conservative on immigration,

Just make it criminal, punishable by expensive fines, to hire an illegal immigrant and the employers who want them here as cheap labor will stop hiring them. People won’t want to come here illegally i

I think they need to allow more workers not less.  Our economy greatly depends on immigrants to perform jobs that no American wants for the wages they offer.  Many businesses oppose immigration reform

Also, I will add that immigration is such a non-issue in reality compared to the overblown mania that both sides are trying to make it. 

Its a diversion wedge issue intended to motivate the impressionable and occupy the gullible. Politicians need it to stick around more than they need it “solved.”

On 8/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, Downtown said:

Also, I will add that immigration is such a non-issue in reality compared to the overblown mania that both sides are trying to make it. 

Its a diversion wedge issue intended to motivate the impressionable and occupy the gullible. Politicians need it to stick around more than they need it “solved.”

Abortion and gay marriage do the same thing, distract us from our real problems.

10 minutes ago, patsplat said:

One big disagreement with @Starkiller - don't touch the 14th Amendment.  The post Civil War amendments need to stand.  The 13th alone saying "no slavery" wasn't enough, the 14th and 15th were necessary to close loop holes intended to keep slaves in their place.

Do you think people should be able to come to the US illegally specifically so that their child can be born an American citizen?

29 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Do you think people should be able to come to the US illegally specifically so that their child can be born an American citizen?

Iirc, the intent was to not inadvertently create a second class of citizenry born within the states (ie: those kids would have no home country). Perhaps we can find another solution, but I think that concern is valid. 

2 minutes ago, begooode said:

Iirc, the intent was to not inadvertently create a second class of citizenry born within the states (ie: those kids would have no home country). Perhaps we can find another solution, but I think that concern is valid. 

It’s not like we are talking about repealing the 14th Amendment. Just change it slightly to say that going forward automatic citizenship isn’t granted unless one of the parents is a US citizen. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

35 minutes ago, begooode said:

30 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

It’s not like we are talking about repealing the 14th Amendment. Just change it slightly to say that going forward automatic citizenship isn’t granted unless one of the parents is a US citizen. 

Preventing slavery is worth erring on the side of caution.

There is both a rational economic argument that immigration is good for the economy, and a moral argument for simple citizenship requirements.

I don't expect everyone to agree with the former, but the later is a clear, bright, moral line in my book.

Just now, patsplat said:

Preventing slavery is worth erring on the side of caution.

There is both a rational economic argument that immigration is good for the economy, and a moral argument for simple citizenship requirements.

I don't expect everyone to agree with the former, but the later is a clear, bright, moral line in my book.

This has zero to do with slavery though. It’s strictly about citizenship.

Just now, Starkiller said:

Thus why it no longer fits modern America and should be amended...

Don't even try to argue there's no legacy of ugly racial discrimination including electing outright racists to office.  It's more important than ever, and I think you should examine why you are dismissive of these facts.

If not for the 14th Amendment, every Southern state could and would pass a Muslim ban, outlaw Mass in Spanish, and things would be much worse than they currently are.

It's the 14th Amendment that made the Bill of Rights apply to all citizens, and also provided a simple definition of citizenship to prevent abuse.

Don't.

Fuck.

With.

It.

8 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Don't even try to argue there's no legacy of ugly racial discrimination including electing outright racists to office.  It's more important than ever, and I think you should examine why you are dismissive of these facts.

None of this has anything to do with my suggested amendment...