Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeFan

Let's discuss solutions to immigration

4 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Just make it criminal, punishable by expensive fines, to hire an illegal immigrant and the employers who want them here as cheap labor will stop hiring them. People won’t want to come here illegally if they can’t get a job. 

And amend the 14th Amendment to require one parent be an American citizen for a child to be granted automatic citizenship at birth going forward. 

It’s always been strange and funny that you’re likely the only true conservative on here when it comes to immigration. 

The move has to be sweeping and appease all sides. Full amnesty for those who have been here 5 years+ or are under the age of 16 with a legitimate pathway to citizenship. Add in SK’s stipulations and voila you have an actual immigration policy. 

No system will appease everyone, but it honestly doesn’t seem like it should be very hard to come up with the basics of a new system. Hell, the Senate passed a bipartisan bill just a few years ago. 

15 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It’s always been strange and funny that you’re likely the only true conservative on here when it comes to immigration. 

It just depends on the issue. I’m a big liberal in general but there are issues where I do not agree with my fellow liberals.

I would hardly consider myself a conservative on immigration, just a pragmatist. I think there are valid solution that both side have to pick from. The wall is fucking retarded but I do think the 14th Amendment was meant for ex-slaves and not for voluntary immigrants. And there do need to be deterrents to illegal immigration.

I think the biggest difference between me and a conservative on immigration, aside from a 700 foot ice wall to keep out the Brown Walkers, is that I’m in favor of a reasonable legal immigration system and some sort of pathway to legalization/citizenship for people who are here already. That just needs to be tied to fighting illegal immigration.

2 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

So. Our responsibility to provide a better life and living conditions for Mexico and its citizens...and the other countries they're coming from?

Basically, you want to bribe them.....

America is supposed to be the best place to live and we can't keep our own from robbing and killing each other. 

It's not about whose responsibility it is. It's about solving the problem. If these countries feel that the problem has grown beyond their control and we have the resources to help it would be wise to do so. I'd rather deal with the problem at it's source than wait for people to arrive at the border and try to deal with it then. I see it as the equivalent of preventative medicine. 

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

It's not about whose responsibility it is. It's about solving the problem.

And in your words because I dont want to put any in your mouth. What is the problem exactly?

If these countries feel that the problem has grown beyond their control and we have the resources to help it would be wise to do so.

So if we can stop criminals from robbing each other or worse, by giving them money, is that also wise? Isn't that part of the reason for welfare? How's it working?

I'd rather deal with the problem at it's source than wait for people to arrive at the border and try to deal with it then. I see it as the equivalent of preventative medicine. 

You can give them all the resources you want. Mexico will never be America and America is where they want to be.

You will never be able to give Mexicos citizens the opportunity they can have here. Never. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

Had been gone past 2 days, so back to this.

First, @JakePA_Titan, give some ideas or just dont respond. Just bitching gets nowhere in a discussion.

I think there have been some good suggestions.

I believe there needs to be better border security,  but that doesnt always mean a wall. 

I think people should have to apply for amnesty/asylum at the US consulate in their home country. Take a number and wait. If they are approved, give them a plane ticket. If they show up at our border, tell them to go apply back in their home country. No excuses. 

I would not be opposed to granting amnesty, not citizenship, to those here illegally and have no other crimes. 

I dont like the 'anchor baby' or chain migration. I like merit based immigration, but it does not have to be 100% merit based. Unskilled workers are still needed.

Visa overstays/work permits need to be cracked down on. We should know where these people are and they should be shipped out immediately. 

I think there should be a set number of immigrants allowed in per month. 

It would be nice if we could get more businesses to invest in the central American countries. The problem i see is the central American countries infrastructure. Just came back from Belize and Jamaica and their roads are crap. 

• First of all, streamline the path to citizenship. 7 years and $10,000 is ridiculous and that's basically what it can take for some immigrants.
  • Speed up the process by speeding up the application process. HIRE MORE HELP.
  • Vet applicants according to personal history. We don't need convicted felons or repeat offenders but a DUI or driving without a license shouldn't  be considered a criminal offense.
  • Give amnesty to those who can prove they are fleeing their countries of origin for safety or fear for their lives. 
  • Fine the shit out of companies who hire illegals. Take that money to help hire more government workers to process applications.
  • Do not separate families at the border. Its costing us millions to do this.
  • Fuck the wall. It's really not helping despite what Trump says. and the cost is prohibitive.
Edited by freakingeek

On 8/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, LongTimeFan said:

Had been gone past 2 days, so back to this.

First, @JakePA_Titan, give some ideas or just dont respond. Just bitching gets nowhere in a discussion.

I think there have been some good suggestions.

I believe there needs to be better border security,  but that doesnt always mean a wall. 

I think people should have to apply for amnesty/asylum at the US consulate in their home country. Take a number and wait. If they are approved, give them a plane ticket. If they show up at our border, tell them to go apply back in their home country. No excuses. 

I would not be opposed to granting amnesty, not citizenship, to those here illegally and have no other crimes. 

I dont like the 'anchor baby' or chain migration. I like merit based immigration, but it does not have to be 100% merit based. Unskilled workers are still needed.

Visa overstays/work permits need to be cracked down on. We should know where these people are and they should be shipped out immediately. 

I think there should be a set number of immigrants allowed in per month. 

It would be nice if we could get more businesses to invest in the central American countries. The problem i see is the central American countries infrastructure. Just came back from Belize and Jamaica and their roads are crap. 

All good ideas.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, Starkiller said:

Thus why the government needs to go after them. This is the problem. They promote jobs south of the border. They are incentivizing people to come here illegally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/08/15/investigators-believe-five-poultry-companies-violated-immigration-law-search-warrants-say/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_plantsearches-1130am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Federal immigration officials say they have probable cause that all five companies operating poultry plants raided by authorities in Mississippi last week violated immigration law by knowingly hiring undocumented immigrants, according to search warrant affidavits that cite videotaped statements of managers.

There were clear signs that the companies were hiring people who could not legally work in the country, the search warrants allege. Some workers wore ankle monitors as they awaited deportation hearings; gave Social Security numbers belonging to the deceased, or were hired twice by the same manager even though the worker used different names on each occasion.

Since 2002, federal officials have reported more than 350 encounters or arrests of undocumented people who said they worked at two of the plants, Koch Foods and Peco Foods.

The companies for years have employed a stream of Guatemalan and Mexican immigrants who are not authorized to work in the United States, according to the search warrant affidavits, unsealed in federal court after Aug. 7 raids on seven plants operated by Koch Foods, Peco Foods, PH Food, A&B and Pearl River Foods. In the affidavits, Homeland Security Investigations agent Anthony Todd Williams Jr. said there is probable cause to believe that the chicken plants in Mississippi intentionally hired undocumented workers who presented fraudulent documents “for the purpose of commercial advantage or private financial gain.”

Williams wrote that individuals or companies shown to have “actual knowledge” of violating the employment law — meaning they knowingly hired at least 10 people not authorized to work for a year-long period — can be fined as much as $3,000 per undocumented worker and imprisoned for as much as six months.

Neither the companies nor any executives have been arrested or charged with violating immigration law, although the documents name numerous managers who apparently knew about the widespread practice, according to the affidavits recently unsealed in Mississippi federal court. Immigration and Customs Enforcement carried out the raids at seven chicken-processing plants operated by the companies, arresting 680 workers, about half of whom have been released to await further hearings.

4 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Federal immigration officials say they have probable cause that all five companies operating country clubs from their Bedminster NJ corporate offices last week violated immigration law by knowingly hiring undocumented immigrants,... 

A little poets' license on my part.

9 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Neither the companies nor any executives have been arrested or charged with violating immigration law, although the documents name numerous managers who apparently knew about the widespread practice, according to the affidavits recently unsealed in Mississippi federal court. 

hmmmm, I wonder why these Mississippi managers who created the demand market for these undocumented workers are not dealing with any consequences. Yet those bloody boot wearing chicken processing workers (Mike T Rowe Dirty Jobs worthy) were not even allowed to pickup their kids from their first day of school.  'murica!