Sign in to follow this  
LongTimeFan

Let's discuss solutions to immigration

So @Mythos27would like to start a discussion without the usual bashing. So I am bringing up immigration, both legal and illegal. What are the solutions both sides can agree upon?

I would ask that if posters come in here to stir up shit, please ignore them or if they have the same political leanings as you, to tell them to stfu.

Mythos27   

Nice. My personal solution is to enforce the border and not decriminalize illegal immigration. It's important that a country protect it's borders. That won't solve the issue though. IMO, we need to work closely with the countries that these people are fleeing and invest in ways to improve conditions in a way that keeps those people from wanting to leave in the first place.

The war on drugs has to go so that we can find ways to make the illegal drug trade that is filling cartel violence much less profitable. Your local weed dealer won't be able to compete with Amazon. I'm not expert so I like forward to that others will bring. This stuff just makes sense to me.

Grant amnesty to all those already here and start over. You can’t deport every person here illegally. It literally can’t be done. 

A wall wont secure our borders. Most immigrants enter legally through legal ports of entry. They just never leave. Strengthen the ports and do a better job monitoring those overstaying their original stays. 

Just make it criminal, punishable by expensive fines, to hire an illegal immigrant and the employers who want them here as cheap labor will stop hiring them. People won’t want to come here illegally if they can’t get a job. 

And amend the 14th Amendment to require one parent be an American citizen for a child to be granted automatic citizenship at birth going forward. 

T-RAC   

19 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Strengthen the ports and do a better job monitoring those overstaying their original stays. 

This is where you focus you resources is you want to reduce illegal immigration.

But I'm also of the opinion that an honest person who comes here to work, should be allowed to stay. So vet and monitor but with a willingness to increase legal immigration to meet demand. Pro-business and pro-immigrant.

10 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Just make it criminal, punishable by expensive fines, to hire an illegal immigrant 

That's already the case, excepting independent contractors. Though illegals can fake documentation, so how how much due diligence do you require for the employers? 

1 minute ago, T-RAC said:

That's already the case, excepting independent contractors. Though illegals can fake documentation, so how how much due diligence do you require for the employers? 

Using a detailed federal database is a lot cheaper and more effective than building a giant wall...

begooode   
3 minutes ago, T-RAC said:

If that's the case will work shift to a higher mix of independent contractors to get around the liability for the related employers?  Seems risky, but there's always someone who will work the middle for a substantial cost savings.

T-RAC   
4 minutes ago, begooode said:

If that's the case will work shift to a higher mix of independent contractors to get around the liability for the related employers?  

It's nothing new, it's been the approach for decades. It's one of many legal loopholes created by the 'independent contractor' designation. Needs a regulatory overhaul.

7 minutes ago, begooode said:

If that's the case will work shift to a higher mix of independent contractors to get around the liability for the related employers?  Seems risky, but there's always someone who will work the middle for a substantial cost savings.

Possibly, but independent contractors would still be subject to the same background checks.

38 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Just make it criminal, punishable by expensive fines, to hire an illegal immigrant and the employers who want them here as cheap labor will stop hiring them. People won’t want to come here illegally if they can’t get a job. 

And amend the 14th Amendment to require one parent be an American citizen for a child to be granted automatic citizenship at birth going forward. 

85,000 people have been charged over the most recently documented period with working in this country illegally; 11 people have been arrested for hiring them, 7 have been charged, 3 actually got time in jail. No corporations have been held criminally liable.

3 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

85,000 people have been charged over the most recently documented period with working in this country illegally; 11 people have been arrested for hiring them, 7 have been charged, 3 actually got time in jail. No corporations have been held criminally liable.

Thus why the government needs to go after them. This is the problem. They promote jobs south of the border. They are incentivizing people to come here illegally.

Edited by Starkiller

Certification: I attest, under penalty of perjury, that (1) I have examined the document(s) presented by the above-named employee, (2) the above-listed document(s) appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee named, and (3) to the best of my knowledge the employee is authorized to work in the United States. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

This is the only requirement on employers, they have to list some forms of documentation presented and then sign off that they appear to be valid. 

Edited by No1TitansFan

4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Nice. My personal solution is to enforce the border and not decriminalize illegal immigration. It's important that a country protect it's borders. That won't solve the issue though. IMO, we need to work closely with the countries that these people are fleeing and invest in ways to improve conditions in a way that keeps those people from wanting to leave in the first place.

So. Our responsibility to provide a better life and living conditions for Mexico and its citizens...and the other countries they're coming from?

Basically, you want to bribe them.....

America is supposed to be the best place to live and we can't keep our own from robbing and killing each other.