Titans_Win_Again

Trump considering pardoning corrupt politician... just because he likes him

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/07/trump-considering-commuting-blagojevich-sentence-1452736

Blagojevich, a Democrat, was impeached then removed from office in 2009 for corruption and was later indicted on multiple corruption charges. He was accused of trying to solicit personal favors and sell the U.S. Senate seat left vacant by Barack Obama winning the presidency.

Blagojevich — who was once a contestant on Trump's TV show "The Celebrity Apprentice" — was sentenced to 14 years in prison, though his family has unsuccessfully tried to appeal the decision multiple times. The Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal last year. President Barack Obama also did not commute Blagojevich's sentence, to the frustration of the former governor's family.

"His wife I think is fantastic, and I'm thinking about commuting his sentence very strongly," Trump said.

8 hours ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

President Barack Obama also did not commute Blagojevich's sentence, to the frustration of the former governor's family.

No, he instead pardoned that screwball traitor Bradley Manning.

4 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

No, he instead pardoned that screwball traitor Bradley Manning.

No he didn’t. He merely commuted the sentence after a sufficient term of imprisonment.

Edited by Starkiller

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

No he didn’t. He merely commuted the sentence after a sufficient term of service.

Then I guess you can say the exact same thing here with Trump.   Except Manning only served 7 out of 35 years, while Blagojevich has served 7 of a 14 year sentence.   

20 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

Then I guess you can say the exact same thing here with Trump.   Except Manning only served 7 out of 35 years, while Blagojevich has served 7 of a 14 year sentence.   

Manning's crime was not the same thing as Blagojevich. Manning was a whistleblower and the time served prior to Obama's commutation was in line for what other people had served for similar crimes. 

Blagojevich was actively corrupt, not just a whistleblower. He was convicted on 18 charges. He didn’t even get a full year sentence per conviction. 

8 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Manning's crime was not the same thing as Blagojevich. Manning was a whistleblower and the time served prior to Obama's commutation was in line for what other people had served for similar crimes. 

Blagojevich was actively corrupt, not just a whistleblower. He was convicted on 18 charges. He didn’t even get a full year sentence per conviction. 

That's ridiculous.   Manning was a traitor that was convicted of 21 charges.   I call utter BS if you say Blagojevich did worse than Manning.

Dollop   

Manning deserved to spend time, perhaps hard time.  The situation is pretty complex considering how much we applaud and support whistleblowers legislatively in every area aside from “national security.”  Most of the info was just embarrassing or actually morally reprehensible.   I assume there was some actual current operations stuff and now we know what a shitheel Assange is so that’s definitely a mark against Manning.  Disagree with a pardon if you want but at least when you consider the motives it’s understanding.  

Everything Blagojevic did was purely to enrich himself and pure corruption.  He provided a rare bipartisan moment where everyone could agree that this guy was pure scum.  Like most people in power, he got a pretty good sentence.  Trump suggesting a pardon is just him projecting his own corruption and hate of those evil and unfair FBI investigators.

is he gonna pardon Madoff next?

58 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

That's ridiculous.   Manning was a traitor that was convicted of 21 charges.   I call utter BS if you say Blagojevich did worse than Manning.

So because of the Manning thing, the Blagojevich thing is 100% acceptable?  I seriously don't understand this mindset at all.  I am interested in reading your perspective on why Blag. should be released w/o mention to any other case.  (Or, if you need to point to another related case - avoid cases that involve democrats to avoid the "goose/gander" or "fight fire with fire" cliches.)