Rookies. Will any help us this year?

Alcibiades

Coming into camp, I thought AJ Brown had the best chance of helping out. As you all know, he's been injured. Simmons was never going to help before mid-season, though apparently he's doing well in his recovery. Really looking forward to seeing him next year, and if we make a playoff push, he should help a lot.

Walker is buried on the depth chart and seems like a STs guy to me. Davis is...injured? IDK....but not starting and unlikely to give us much this year, unless there is an injury. I don't know much about the guy; so I won't judge either way.

Hooker seems like the most likely contributor. He'll help on STs for sure, and apparently has good instincts. That's big, but he's not replacing either starter at safety. Still, he could get some playing time in dime and/or rotation. So, right now he's my vote for biggest contributor this year among the rookies.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've learned to have low expectations for rookies.   I'd rather expect little and be pleasantly surprised than expect a lot and be disappointed.   I'm guessing Simmons sees  limited-but-mean

Here? You will get a review of all previous posts from topics years ago cherry picked to point out previous errors and failed opinions.    May the odds be ever in your favor!

This.  I'd just add that maybe Derick Roberson surprises and probably outproduces Walker.  

I've learned to have low expectations for rookies.   I'd rather expect little and be pleasantly surprised than expect a lot and be disappointed.

I'm guessing Simmons sees  limited-but-meaningful playing time in the latter half of the season.....maybe 10-15 snaps per game as a situational pass rusher.  I doubt he'll have a big impact this year.... but the experience he gains this year should allow him to hit the ground running next year.

My expectations for Brown are slightly higher but still conservative.  Even if we assume he moves ahead of Taylor and Sharpe on the depth charter.....the lion's share of targets are going to Davis, Delanie, and Humphries.   25-30 catches, 300--400 yards and 2-3 TDs will be a solid rookie year for AJ.

Nate Davis....who knows?    Scouting reports suggested a talented but very raw player.....hopefully the team's OL depth is enough that he's not forced to play before he's ready.

Hooker is coming into a very talented secondary....he'll be battling for PT.   He might make some plays here and there, but I can't see him getting enough reps to make a big splash this year.

The other guys....special teamers and buried on the depth chart this year.   They'll be lucky to be active on gamedays.

30 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

Hooker will make the biggest impact this year more than likely followed by Davis. Obviously Simmons will contribute the next and it usually takes a year or two for a WR so we will see on Brown.

This.  I'd just add that maybe Derick Roberson surprises and probably outproduces Walker.  

I think Brown will be the one.  All these injuries are hard to figure out.  Davis?  What is he doing injured?  Before the new agreement they used to have 2-a-days in pads and even more practices.  Guys got dinged, but now it's injuries.  Bear Bryant used to not even let his players at TT drink water during practice.  Kids today are bigger, faster and softer.

Like most are saying, there really is only one standing which is Hooker. He’ll contribute situationally. Brown better get back soon or he’s done unless there’s major injuries. Davis May need time before he’s ready after listening to Mcguiness.

Kenny V hasn't started a full 16 since 2015 (his only full season.) He averages 13/season. I expect to see Hooker at some point. 

NFL Network is projecting Nate Davis to start at RG despite recent reports. Kind of a big jump to go from UNC Charlotte to NFL starter in a few months?

I've seen some comments about Roberson in camp. If he makes the team, I'm gonna be looking for him to clutch in packages. 

5 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Kenny V hasn't started a full 16 since 2015 (his only full season.) He averages 13/season. I expect to see Hooker at some point. 

NFL Network is projecting Nate Davis to start at RG despite recent reports. Kind of a big jump to go from UNC Charlotte to NFL starter in a few months?

I've seen some comments about Roberson in camp. If he makes the team, I'm gonna be looking for him to clutch in packages. 

Maybe this guy doesn’t remember Roos from East Washington....