I think its time to shut down this Forum.

LongTimeFan

President Donald Trump’s decision this week to ratchet up the trade war with Beijing by slapping more tariffs on Chinese goods came after aides thought they had talked him out of it weeks ago, according to two people close to the discussions.

But the president’s annoyance with China finally boiled over this week after Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer returned from trade talks in Shanghai and reported that Chinese officials offered no new proposals for ending an impasse that’s persisted since May, according to the people.

Trump seemed convinced that China would resume huge purchases U.S. farm goods as a goodwill gesture for getting the stalled talks back on track, the people said. But the Chinese have not made significant purchases of soybeans or other commodities since the meeting.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/02/trump-tariffs-china-1632801

The reason Trump imposed the new 10% tariffs is that Mnuchin was at the bargaining table and China offered nothing new.  Then Trump essentially doubled down.  Now the Chinese have responded by allowing their currency to drop below a key support level.  That makes our currency rise on a relative basis and harder for us to export.  Bottom line....the situation is getting worse and the markets know it.  That's why the DJI is down 1K points or so since the moment Trump tweeted about the new tariffs last week.  This isn't that hard to figure out.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lets recap   CTM - likely millionaire with a history of expertise on financial matters Soxcat - repressed homosexual, believes the earth is 5000 years old, foxnews sheep   I k

Trumpers aren't conservatives and have adopted the posturing and baseless unaccountability of their dear leader and his administration, all while attacking the big tent of people and ideas that go aga

You are going to get all indignant about people rightly questioning Trump's blatant rhetoric while spewing your own fucked up Libs love mass shootings bullshit?! Shut the fuck up you toady ass bi

Posted Images

President Donald Trump slammed China for allowing its yuan to weaken below a key level Monday morning.

“It’s called ‘currency manipulation,” Trump said in a Twitter post. “Are you listening Federal Reserve? This is a major violation which will greatly weaken China over time!”

A weaker Chinese yuan would make goods from the country cheaper and more attractive to foreign buyers, potentially widening the yawning U.S. trade deficit even further. Recently, Trump has demanded a weaker U.S. dollar to make America more competitive with other countries, which he claims have unfairly devalued their currencies against the U.S. dollar.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/major-violation-trump-reacts-to-chinas-tumbling-yuan-121615627.html

Trump is slamming China for weakening their currency.  But he wants the US to do the same thing.  One of the reasons he wants the Fed to lower interest rates is that it devalues the currency making it easier to export.  This is what a potential currency war looks like.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

lets recap

CTM - likely millionaire with a history of expertise on financial matters

Soxcat - repressed homosexual, believes the earth is 5000 years old, foxnews sheep

I know who I trust to talk intelligently on world economic matters. 

I don't know exactly why I laughed so hard at this but thank you.

10 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Nah, just time to ban the Trumptards...

I know there is no hope for them, but can those of us capable of reason at least try to stop with the incessant use of the term "tard?" It's fucking stupid, regardless of what you stick before it. 

4 hours ago, MadMax said:

Second post of the thread will help your feelings about the political forum.

I hope this helped.

Hey Max----actually I didn't go to the forum--I clicked on this in the hot topic area.  Wouldn't go to the political forum on purpose.  I have far more important places to go.  Your kindness and well wishes are important to me---grin.

4 hours ago, begooode said:

Yet your avatar sig is a unsolicited middle finger to the entire board, not just the political forum. 

Wasn't trying to give the middle finger to anyone---just trying to bring in a little humor. You seem to be very sensitive.

1 minute ago, HOTT said:

Wasn't trying to give the middle finger to anyone---just trying to bring in a little humor. You seem to be very sensitive.

Sensitive enough to ask my family to pray for your grandkid when you appealed to TR, back in the day.

Go back and look at your earlier comment and I hope you will find the contradiction I spoke to, not ‘exaggerated sensitivity’ on my part to fit your agenda. If not, no worries.  But I think you know the truth.