Tajae Sharpe

kyle021

Let’s talk a little bit about him. 

His rookie year he came in and started day one and had a really good rookie season for a fifth round pick. Considering he came in and needed to add some bulk and get stronger and learn to beat press coverage the kid ran some clean and crisp routes when he wasn’t jammed and caught everything that came his way. 

Second year he was placed on IR. We thought he may be a guy who was fighting for a roster spot last year and someone like Nick Williams could unseat him for a roster spot. 

He may not be a #1 or a stud #2 but the dude has the upside to be a solid #2 and I still stand by my thought process that he would make for a really good slot receiver 3rd and medium + because he has trouble beating press coverage but he catches any and everything thrown his way and he runs very good routes. He wouldn’t have to beat press coverage from the slot. Yeah. He is tall and doesn’t have amazing quickness like Humphries (who is the definition of a slot WR with every intangible you could want) but before the addition of Humphries I felt like he could be most effective from that position and we could get more out of him there. Now that Humphries is here and Sharpe is purely an outside guy... you have to ask yourself. Is this guy going to get any better and will he be the starter out there in 3 sets with David split wide and Humphries in the slot?

Judging last year which was basically his second year (Didn’t play his second year) and what we saw on gameday and what we are hearing and seeing this TC coupled with the fact he is in a contract year I am very optimistic with Sharpe. 

Everything we have read and saw in clips this camp is of him making plays. Davis is outshining everyone but after Davis it’s clear that Tajae is the next best WR on the outside. Maybe we would be seeing different things if Brown was out there but right now we are seeing daily clips of him pulling in amazing catches for TD’s and some sick sideline grabs. He can highpoint and track the ball damn well and he has gotten stronger. 

Now he is in the final year of his rookie deal, and he is going to play his best so he can get a big contract on the open market. 

He apparently had a darn good day today at Nissan stadium and it seems as if it’s just another day at the office for him beating Ryan, Jackson and Butler for TD’s and sideline catches. 

I dont recall him readjusting mid air to catch a ball like I have seen this offseason and I don’t recall hearing his name in the end zone as much. 

The most impressive part is he is doing it against three diff #1 corners showing that he isn’t just balling against one single dude. Everyday he is beating Jackson who is a very talented CB, he is beating Butler who is a Super Bowl MVP and one of the highest paid corners in the league and had a dominant second half of football last year. He is also abusing Ryan who is considered a top 5 NB in the league. 

I think anything from 50-70 catches for 600-800 yards and 4-6 TD’s this year is easily obtainable for him over the course of 16 games. 

Mariota has always loved throwing him the ball and there is a certain level of trust between those two that you can’t underwrite. Mix in the fact that it’s a contract year. He could be headed for a big season and what could be a fatter contract on the open market if his TC play continues into regular season success. 

Always seems like he's at his best in shorts. This year he looks a lot bigger, and his attitude has changed. He might be a sleeper on the receiving corps. He's catching everything right now. Let's see what happens when somebody jams the fuck out of his route. 

5 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Always seems like he's at his best in shorts. This year he looks a lot bigger, and his attitude has changed. He might be a sleeper on the receiving corps. He's catching everything right now. Let's see what happens when somebody jams the fuck out of his route. 

Exactly. He's always shined in preseason practices

It’s quite reasonable to expect both Sharpe and Taylor to take a big step in what is effectively year three for both players.

From the reports we’ve heard, it sounds like Sharpe has taken a bigger step than Taylor.   Hopefully it’s not just a preseason mirage like years past.

2 minutes ago, nine said:

It’s quite reasonable to expect both Sharpe and Taylor to take a big step in what is effectively year three for both players.

From the reports we’ve heard, it sounds like Sharpe has taken a bigger step than Taylor.   Hopefully it’s not just a preseason mirage like years past.

Taylor cant catch the ball and Sharpe cant get separation.  Surgically combine them and we may have something.

I think Taylor will get some opportunities to make big plays downfield and Sharpe just needs to hold it down till Brown gets back on the field.  With Davis, Humphries and Walker...Sharpe just needs to be where he is supposed to be and catch the ball.

29 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Sharpe is a decent #3 type WR, he already was that. He's limited speed and strength wise but if he had to start you could do worse 

Sharpe is a decent #4. If he were a decent #3 we wouldn't have two new receivers who'd been penciled in as the #2 and #3 guys on the depth chart before training camp. If Brown were practicing Sharpe would most likely be an afterthought right now.

Sharpe could be a reliable target if he can figure out how to handle press coverage.   I watched video of all his receptions last year...I don't think he had a single reception against man coverage.    He's good at finding gaps in zones....but if a defender presses him or disrupts his route, he disappears.

Does Sharpe really look like he put on muscle? Because I remember Mularkey saying he thinks he could improve a lot if he bulked up, against the press as well as making big plays down the field. 

He does look bigger but with his body type he has to work even harder to add mass. It should be a focus of his in the offseason. He’s not a burner anyways but building muscle in his lower body and trunk could increase his speed and power.

Tajae has always been a practice beast, especially with his route running and mental approach. However, when the real season starts and CBs are going full out that last 10%, Tajae fades hard and ghosts on contested catches. He’s a solid, but replacement level #4 with limited toughness and ST abilities, likely in his last year. But I’d love to be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, japan said:

Sharpe is the training camp GOAT. Reminds me of the hype he got his rookie season. Guy will disappear once the bullets start flying. 

Bein fair kid did have over 500 yards and couple TDS as a 5th rd pick.Didnt exactly have moss on the other side,and we’re not throwing it 500x a game.I think he maybe let his own hype get into his head Sum,then injuries getting banged up etc.He does disappear when the lights come on sumtimes so I agree with that sentiment.

Most mid/late-round WRs take 2-3 years to get it.   Hell,  Derrick Mason had all of 600 yards in his first three years combined before the light bulb finally came on.

Sharpe is a good route runner with  good hands and he’s shown that he can be effective against zone coverage.   If he can be  more effective against man coverage, he’ll be a pretty damned solid NFL receiver in what is effectively his third year.  

If not, then he’ll continue to be a decent #4-5 depth WR....and there’s a place for that as well.

Archived