Sign in to follow this  
CaliTitan3518

I Got Pulled Over Today

I was driving around checking out some properties today and I got pulled over. The cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him I didn’t have the slightest idea why. He pulled me over because he saw my phone in my hand. He acknowledged I was not looking at it or appear to be using it. I had my arm on my middle console and was holding my phone by its pop socket with the screen facing away from me. 

Turns out the cellphone laws prohibit you from holding a phone in your hand as it is a strict “hands free” policy. I asked the cop how it would be any different from holding anything else in my hand. His response was the only difference is there are laws prohibiting you from holding a phone but not other things. 

His advice to me was to purchase a vent clip to hold my phone. He said I could then use my phone since it was not in my hands. as long as I was only swiping or tapping it. I asked him how that could possibly be legal since I would need to take my eyes off the road in order to use my phone. His response was it’s out of your hands so you are within the law. 

This is not a complaint about the cop or about being pulled over. The cop was actually really cool and only gave me a warning. 

How ridiculous is it that you can use your phone as long as you aren’t holding it but if you are just holding it you are breaking the law? 

abenjami   

I think the point of the law is you are supposed to keep 2 hands on the steering wheel.  Obviously that's not possible 100% of the time if you need to adjust the air or radio but I think that's the spirit of it (and why the vent clip passes the muster).  But yes, I agree it's sort of ridiculous.  If it's really that important then the law should be you can't hold anything in your hands, whether it be a phone, bottle of soda, etc.

My guess is this cop used the phone as his pretext to pull you over, hoping to catch you doing something else like DUI, hot boxing your car, etc.

The problem with it is its just poorly written legislation. 

We face similar problems all the time with work where laws dont make sense and we can just skirt them easily but in more dangerous ways. 

Cant import wood cabinets from china without a 300% tax? ... ok.. now we just make all our cabinets out of TPE plastic and print a wood grain/texture and with good finishing techniques almost no one can tell. 

Cant sell a gas firepit to Australia shorter than 700mm high? ... ok.. we'll just sell you a firepit "kit" thats our standard of 620mm high and all you do is have the end user screw in the burner pan with 3 simple screws. 

I'm with @abenjami here. he either wanted to catch you for something else, hit on you, or is handing out friendly warnings. 

If I need to use my phone I'm picking it up, against the law or not. It'll take me less time and attention away from the road than some ridiculous vent clip would.

If these nanny state pencil pushing pansies don't like it they can write this new law down on some sandpaper, roll the sandpaper into the shape of a dildo, and go fuck themselves with it. 🙂

9 Nines   

I wish that law was in my state.  Today while exiting an expressway, there was a car in the white stripes, sitting still, trying to get into traffic.  I assume she missed the exit and instead of continuing to the next exit did what I described.  Many cars exiting at highway speed.  She waits for all the ones in front of me.  Then she cuts in front of me, again from a stand still.  I was going about 55-60, so I had to brake hard and maneuver off the road.  The guy behind me, who was tailgating me, almost hit her and then made it award for me to re-enter the road since her car was now besides mine on a narrow exit lane.  

The car that did all this, is a little ways ahead, almost completely stopped in the middle lane of a 3 lane feeder road.  She was sitting there staring at a phone.  She then turn into the right most lane making another driver have to slam on brakes.  Then she hard accelerated, passing my place in another lane.  Then after almost missing a side road, braked hard to turn onto that road at the last possible moment - still staring at her phone she was holding up right in front of her face. 

Edited by 9 Nines

22 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I was driving around checking out some properties today and I got pulled over. The cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him I didn’t have the slightest idea why. He pulled me over because he saw my phone in my hand. He acknowledged I was not looking at it or appear to be using it. I had my arm on my middle console and was holding my phone by its pop socket with the screen facing away from me. 

Turns out the cellphone laws prohibit you from holding a phone in your hand as it is a strict “hands free” policy. I asked the cop how it would be any different from holding anything else in my hand. His response was the only difference is there are laws prohibiting you from holding a phone but not other things. 

His advice to me was to purchase a vent clip to hold my phone. He said I could then use my phone since it was not in my hands. as long as I was only swiping or tapping it. I asked him how that could possibly be legal since I would need to take my eyes off the road in order to use my phone. His response was it’s out of your hands so you are within the law. 

This is not a complaint about the cop or about being pulled over. The cop was actually really cool and only gave me a warning. 

How ridiculous is it that you can use your phone as long as you aren’t holding it but if you are just holding it you are breaking the law? 

I went back to wearing a watch for that very reason.

Who needs a watch when the ToD is right there on your phone?        Oops!

Justafan   

I'm all for discouraging people from using their phones when driving.  It's so prevalent, I'm actually surprised when I pull up to a light and don't see someone on their phone.  I saw a lady the other day on a major Highway going into Houston just swerving between three lanes.  Cars were going crazy to get away from her.  I thought she was drunk until I got up close and realized she was just on her phone.  Heavy traffic.  Just unbelievable.

Even if I have to put up with some inconvenience such as this type of stuff, it's worth it if it's actually enforced and even a few of these assholes are held accountable for making the roads a much more dangerous place than they have to be.