Sign in to follow this  
MIKE75

RB Depth And Run Game

MIKE75   

With Derrick Henry suffering his setback today you can't help but wonder if this team could use some depth at the RB position. I dont think Dion Lewis is anything special. For a team thats depending on a running attack and its bread and butter is the run game i think we need another bruiser similar to Henry,   thoughts?

nine   

I’m guessing they expect Fluellen to fill that role.  They had him add 15-20 lbs of muscle this offseason which puts him up in that 235-240 range.

I suspect they see Flu not just as a lead-blocking FB but also as a guy who can step in as the primary ballcarrier if Henry needs a breather or goes down for any length of time.

japan   
3 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

With Derrick Henry suffering his setback today you can't help but wonder if this team could use some depth at the RB position. I dont think Dion Lewis is anything special. For a team thats depending on a running attack and its bread and butter is the run game i think we need another bruiser similar to Henry,   thoughts?

Henry had a setback today?

big2033   

I've seen some pics of Henry and it seems like he's not in the best shape this camp. Anyone else notice?

Mythos27   
56 minutes ago, japan said:

Henry had a setback today?

I wouldn't call it a setback but we learned today it is supposedly a 2 week calf injury. 

Dalyn Dawkins is essentially a Deion Lewis backup and Alex Barnes is a henry backup. 

Dawkins caught the ball a decent amount in college. Barnes didnt. 

Dawkins is undersized and quick but doesnt break a ton of tackles or make people miss

Barnes is very strong and decent sized, breaks a ton of tackles, but slow. 

Neither guy is capable of producing the same as the primary backs on their good days. .. but if henry/lewis play like they did much of the year last season, both understudy's could be a decent replacement. 

Wyatt is acting more impressed with Dawkins at the moment. 

Flu is a FB now who could handle some goalline carries... so it makes sense that if we keep 4 RBs, we keep dawkins as the 3rd down/recieving backup

Edited by titanruss

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I wouldn't call it a setback but we learned today it is supposedly a 2 week calf injury. 

With how cautious Vrabel is with injuries during the preseason I would be the over on the 2 weeks for Henry.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even practice before PSG2 which would be 3.5 weeks post the calf strain on the first day of training camp.

2 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Dalyn Dawkins is essentially a Deion Lewis backup and Alex Barnes is a henry backup. 

Dawkins caught the ball a decent amount in college. Barnes didnt. 

Dawkins is undersized and quick but doesnt break a ton of tackles or make people miss

Barnes is very strong and decent sized, breaks a ton of tackles, but slow. 

Neither guy is capable of producing the same as the primary backs on their good days. .. but if henry/lewis play like they did much of the year last season, both understudy's could be a decent replacement. 

It has actually been Jeremy McNichols who has been picking up the carries with Henry out, Fluellen has basically been used exclusively as a FB during TC so far, most of Dawkins reps have come with the 2nd/3rd team offenses.

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

It has actually been Jeremy McNichols who has been picking up the carries with Henry out, Fluellen has basically been used exclusively as a FB during TC so far, most of Dawkins reps have come with the 2nd/3rd team offenses.

interesting, Wyatt was acting most impressed with Dawkins at the moment. Mcnichols does seem the most well rounded. 

Flu is a FB now who could handle some goalline carries... so it makes sense that if we keep 4 RBs, we keep a guy like mcnichols / dawkins who can also contribute as a decent 3rd down/recieving backup

5 minutes ago, titanruss said:

interesting, Wyatt was acting most impressed with Dawkins at the moment. Mcnichols does seem the most well rounded. 

Flu is a FB now who could handle some goalline carries... so it makes sense that if we keep 4 RBs, we keep a guy like mcnichols / dawkins who can also contribute as a decent 3rd down/recieving backup

This is the RB splits is from Sunday's practice.

This one is from Saturday's practice.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

58 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

This is the RB splits is from Sunday's practice.

This one is from Saturday's practice.

yeah with 2 power guys in front of him, i dont see how barnes can make it. 

re-looked at mcnichols highlights/production/combine... outside of the bench press he beat dawkins/barnes handily. his highlights are head and shoulder better as well but many will attribute that to the scheme at boise. 

why did he not stick in tampa/indy?

From his wiki:

McNichols was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round, 162nd overall, in the 2017 NFL Draft.[9] He was the 17th running back selected in that year's draft.[10][11] He exhibited maturity issues and inability to read defenses which was documented in the twelfth season of Hard Knocks and was released by the team on September 2, 2017.[12]"

so... immature and a little dumb. hopefully he's grown up and studied. we could use him. great hands... he even returned kicks for a bit in college. 

Edited by titanruss

Mythos27   
39 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Flu seemed very smooth last year and appeared to be able to turn the corner. I'm confused as to why they would convert him to FB. Lewis seems very replaceable. 

2018 Lewis is replaceable by a 3rd round rookie. Prime Lewis is a damn good receiving back with elite elusiveness. If he could shake off the funk from last season he'd be a huge boon to this offense. Flu is JAG.

22 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

2018 Lewis is replaceable by a 3rd round rookie. Prime Lewis is a damn good receiving back with elite elusiveness. If he could shake off the funk from last season he'd be a huge boon to this offense. Flu is JAG.

We'll talk again 8 weeks in.