Training Camp Discussion

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm somebody who tries to make it through every thread, but I just had to give up 8 pages ago; the one thread that shouldn't be a fucking Mariota debate just has to be hijacked by the same usual suspe

Those clips of Humphries are pretty friggin' impressive....very Derrick Mason-esque.   Really quick feet, great balance and body control....the type of receiver who will set up a defender and create s

This is the story of Taywan's life. 

Posted Images

A little surprised that on Sports Extra just now Turron Davenport predicted that Nate Davis would end up winning the RG competition this preseason, especially given Davis has missed the last couple of practices with an undisclosed injury.

Guess we will have a better idea once we get to PSG2, by that stage you would hope they have settled on a starting OL combination.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

50 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I just think Tannehill isn't some kind of magical cure for this team, if the season plummets into a situation that it's time to bench Mariota inserting Tannehill isn't going to magically turn things around right away.

I'm not team Mariota or team Tannehill as odds are neither is the long term answer at QB, I just think some here are overvaluing the possible impact Tannehill could have should Mariota be benched.

Oh he isn't. No argument there.

But if Mariota sucks, they'll put in Tannehill hoping for a slight improvement. And Mariota will be officially done with us. Because it means we're looking for a new QB in the offseason.

Tannehill isn't our QBOTF. He's just a measuring stick for Mariota. If he's better than Mariota if only slightly, Mariota is done here.

12 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Mariota is the starter unless he’s injured or we are sitting somewhere around 2-6 at the halfway point. He isn’t being replaced if we are competitive. 

You think if we're competitive but Mariota absolutely sucks there won't be pressure to make a move? Hypothetically ... 

Say we're 4-5 and Mariota turnovers are a big reason for the losses ... 

Edited by big2033

9 minutes ago, big2033 said:

You think if we're competitive but Mariota absolutely sucks there won't be pressure to make a move? Hypothetically ... 

I don't think they wait that long to be honest.  If they see that this is a playoff calibur defense and Mariota is holding them back, he'll be replaced long before that.  Tannehill doesn't have to be above average he just has to be better than Mariota.

25 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I mean yeah, I thought that was implied in my post. If Mariota is terrible then remove him. If he’s healthy and the team is competitive then I doubt he’s playing terribly, even if he’s still mediocre, which is the most likely case. If he becomes the main reason we are losing games then put in Tannehill. 

16 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I don't think they wait that long to be honest.  If they see that this is a playoff calibur defense and Mariota is holding them back, he'll be replaced long before that.  Tannehill doesn't have to be above average he just has to be better than Mariota.

I’m not sure about that. The team loves Mariota and he’s won a playoff game with them. If Tannehill is only marginally better then you ride with MM and hope to catch lightening. 

Personally, I think the roster is strong enough to win consistently without elite-level QB play.   I like to think Marcus can be the guy, and he doesn't necessarily need to put up 4000+ yards and 35+ TDs;  he just needs to get the job done.

However, if Mariota gets hurt or isn't getting it done , I could see Tannehill assuming a role similar to Kerry Collins in 2008:     keep defenses honest , put up a couple big games and big plays at critical junctures, and be efficient in the passing game while defense and the running game define the team's identity.

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not sure about that. The team loves Mariota and he’s won a playoff game with them. If Tannehill is only marginally better then you ride with MM and hope to catch lightening. 

In year's past, there wasn't a clear alternative to Mariota (Cassel and Gabbert sucked) like there is now.  Besides I think the team values wins more.

22 minutes ago, rns90 said:

In year's past, there wasn't a clear alternative to Mariota (Cassel and Gabbert sucked) like there is now.  Besides I think the team values wins more.

Maybe. Like I said, I think the difference would have to be one that is more than just a marginal one. The team has rolled with the guy through 5 years. If he’s middling then Robinson and Vrabel get to cut ties and start clean with no locker room drama. If they remove Mariota when we are competitive and Tannehill is just as mediocre I think you risk losing some benefit of the doubt and overall team cohesion. If we are competitive and Mariota isnt outright losing games then he’s the QB. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

But, and I'm not saying this will be the case, if it's determined that Tannehill is the better option in 2019, I doubt Vrabel just ignores that and tests out Mariota anyway.

This team isn't in rebuilding/evaluation mode. If somehow Mariota looks much worse than Tannehill they'll eventually pull the trigger to salvage their season.

Then look for a "franchise" QB.

i think its more along the lines of.. if mariota fails.. neither of them is worth signing for more than a year or two.

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Maybe. Like I said, I think the difference would have to be one that is more than just a marginal one. The team has rolled with the guy through 5 years. If he’s middling then Robinson and Vrabel get to cut ties and start clean with no locker room drama. If they remove Mariota when we are competitive and Tannehill is just as mediocre I think you risk losing some benefit of the doubt and overall team cohesion. If we are competitive and Mariota isnt outright losing games then he’s the QB. 

What if he's the same inconsistent qb?  Defense is improved but ultimately the "ceiling" of the team is 9-7/10-6 and is more or less held back by Mariota's non-performance?  I mean it has to be frustrating not knowing which Mariota you are getting on a week to week basis?

10 minutes ago, rns90 said:

What if he's the same inconsistent qb?  Defense is improved but ultimately the "ceiling" of the team is 9-7/10-6 and is more or less held back by Mariota's non-performance?  I mean it has to be frustrating not knowing which Mariota you are getting on a week to week basis?

Tannehill is a very similar QB. He’ll likely get his chance when MM gets injured. Say he tweaks something and isn’t playing really well then maybe they let him sit an extra week when he could have played through it. That’s how you make the move. If MM is healthy and we are competitive then he’s the guy for better or worse. 

• Jonboy unpinned this topic