AussieTitanFan08

Training Camp Discussion

big2033   
53 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Just finished listening to Vrabel's first training camp press conference, he talked glowingly of Davis/Byard, addressed the Lewan situation, talked about Mariota and how he is encouraging him to be aggressive but not reckless with the football.

With all this Davis praise if I were Mariota I'd ride or die with him. FORCEFEED HIM.

Edited by big2033

Mythos27   
Just now, big2033 said:

Like, unless Mariota explodes offensively he should just put his second contract in Davis' hands.

Agreed. We've all asked him to be more aggressive and hopefully that aggression comes in the form of tossing up some 50/50 type balls up to Davis. I mean, his career is literally on the line so if he still doesn't take chances then he just doesn't have that dog in him and I'd be glad to see him walk. 

big2033   
Just now, Mythos27 said:

Agreed. We've all asked him to be more aggressive and hopefully that aggression comes in the form of tossing up some 50/50 type balls up to Davis. I mean, his career is literally on the line so if he still doesn't take chances then he just doesn't have that dog in him and I'd be glad to see him walk. 

The way everyone's talking about Davis I don't want to see his talent wasted. Then again, eventually Hopkins talent was too great to deny regardless of QB play.

Soxcat   
4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

He's been stupid not to do it so far. 

Basically Mariota needs to identify the coverage better because he has a tendency to "force feed" the ball into double coverage.  But sure, anytime Davis isn't double covered he is a legit #1 WR IMO and needs to get the ball.  Still, you could say the same of Humphries or Walker.  It is more about making a good read and getting the right guy the ball. 

Think back to the Philly game and a slant play where he knew he was going to Davis, Davis was open and Mariota short armed the throw and missed him.  Literally a throw I think I could make.  So there is more to it than just feeding him the ball but he does need to treat Davis like McNair did with Mason.  Mason became McNair go to guy and had the quickness to create just enough space. 

I also agree on the 50/50 passes deep to Davis if there isn't safety help (he has won a few with safety help).  The kid is physical and great at adjusting to the ball so he will win those 75% of the time even if the pass isn't great.  I'd run that early and if the defense is providing help on top Mariota knows he has quality options underneath. 

On 7/22/2019 at 3:56 PM, TheBukafax said:

Fuckkkk I hope Casey isn’t bad

Old veterans with star power usually dog it for camp. Coaches don't say much as long as they can play when it counts. 16 games (or more) is a long run for someone in the trenches every week. 

Mythos27   
3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The way everyone's talking about Davis I don't want to see his talent wasted. Then again, eventually Hopkins talent was too great to deny regardless of QB play.

Yeah it's funny because on paper, I agree that Davis is more physically talented than Hopkins (bigger, faster, etc) but so are a lot of receivers. On the field, I don't know that Davis is as physical or aggressive at the catch point. As you said, Hopkins has shown he can produce regardless. I think Corey is going to need a little help from Mariota. 

Soxcat   
7 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Hopkins went from 800 yards to 1200 yards to 1500 yards and 111 catches in three years.  With a decent Qb he will catch 100 balls a year for 1300 + yards.

Davis first year was plagued by injury and he only had 375 yards.  Despite a poor passing game he had 65 catches for almost 900 yards last year.  No reason he shouldn't get 20+ more catches for close to 1200 yards this year if he stays healthy.  If he falls short of that it will be the QB issues and not Davis fault. 

5 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Basically Mariota needs to identify the coverage better because he has a tendency to "force feed" the ball into double coverage.  But sure, anytime Davis isn't double covered he is a legit #1 WR IMO and needs to get the ball.  Still, you could say the same of Humphries or Walker.  It is more about making a good read and getting the right guy the ball. 

Think back to the Philly game and a slant play where he knew he was going to Davis, Davis was open and Mariota short armed the throw and missed him.  Literally a throw I think I could make.  So there is more to it than just feeding him the ball but he does need to treat Davis like McNair did with Mason.  Mason became McNair go to guy and had the quickness to create just enough space. 

I also agree on the 50/50 passes deep to Davis if there isn't safety help (he has won a few with safety help).  The kid is physical and great at adjusting to the ball so he will win those 75% of the time even if the pass isn't great.  I'd run that early and if the defense is providing help on top Mariota knows he has quality options underneath. 

Maritotas biggest flaw is not taking the underneath guys. Leaves a lot of yards on the field.

Soxcat   
1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

Yeah it's funny because on paper, I agree that Davis is more physically talented than Hopkins (bigger, faster, etc) but so are a lot of receivers. On the field, I don't know that Davis is as physical or aggressive at the catch point. As you said, Hopkins has shown he can produce regardless. I think Corey is going to need a little help from Mariota. 

Hopkins is not just a stud.  He is a blue ribbon stud who would be one of the first players taken in a re-draft.  The guy is phenomenal.

abc2330   
19 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Davis averaged 3.1 yard of separation per target last year, significantly more than Hopkins in any season over the past 3 years .  If by help you mean someone who will throw him the ball, then you're right.

Mythos27   
7 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Davis averaged 3.1 yard of separation per target last year, significantly more than Hopkins in any season over the past 3 years .  If by help you mean someone who will throw him the ball, then you're right.

It's precisely Hopkins's ability to succeed at a ridiculous rate in contested catch situations that helps him be productive regardless of how "open" he is or how well his QB can throw him open. Because of that, this separation stat is a bad barometer of success in this case. If Corey was as good as D-Hop in this area he'd already be dominating. Mind you this is no knock on Corey as no other receiver in the league is as good as him either and only Larry Fitzgerald has been as dominant from a possession stand-point in recent years. 

On 7/23/2019 at 4:28 PM, IsntLifeFunny said:

If it makes you feel any better he’s high on Taylor. 

6 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Just finished listening to Vrabel's first training camp press conference, he talked glowingly of Davis/Byard, addressed the Lewan situation, talked about Mariota and how he is encouraging him to be aggressive but not reckless with the football.

Poor Dongo, all alone in his retarded opinion about CD.