Training Camp Discussion

1 hour ago, nine said:

My biggest reservation with Tannehill is the INTs.    He's not at a Ryan Fitz-tragic level, but he's ranked among the highest INT rates in the league in each of the past three seasons he played (2015-16-18).....and reviewing film of his INTs over that period, many of them were just god-awful throws and/or horrible decisions.   

The two INTs in last year's season opener are a good example.   The Vacarro INT was overthrown so badly, it had to be a miscommunication....and the Malcom Butler INT was just a straight-up terrible throw that gave the receiver no chance.    But RT also had several great throws that day, including a spectacular, perfectly-placed bomb to Kenny Stills for a 70+ yard TD.

We've all noted the similarities between Tannehill and Mariota.   IMO,  the biggest difference is that Tannehill throws with better velocity and he has more of a Brett Favre gunslinger mentality....which is usually a good thing.  But it can also cause problems....and sometimes it's just downright awful.

That's basically things I've seen mentioned about him.

Along with he'll look great in practice but make really bad mistakes especially in late game situations. 

Edited by bizzyeddie

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm somebody who tries to make it through every thread, but I just had to give up 8 pages ago; the one thread that shouldn't be a fucking Mariota debate just has to be hijacked by the same usual suspe

Those clips of Humphries are pretty friggin' impressive....very Derrick Mason-esque.   Really quick feet, great balance and body control....the type of receiver who will set up a defender and create s

This is the story of Taywan's life. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The only issue with Mularkey getting fired was all the fans who were clueless about him being the problem with Mariota. 

Remember when LaFleur lined Flueallen up wide last year! Durrrrrrr!

The only issue? His ceiling was pretty evident, even if you subscribe to the idea he was “saddled” with Mariota. 

He he wasn’t bringing the Titans a SB. What’s he even doing these days? (Not really a slight. I legit am curious as to what he is doing)

I didn’t mind Mularkey as a dude (or how he presented himself), but I wasn’t a fan of his coaching. 

44 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

The only issue? His ceiling was pretty evident, even if you subscribe to the idea he was “saddled” with Mariota. 

He he wasn’t bringing the Titans a SB. What’s he even doing these days? (Not really a slight. I legit am curious as to what he is doing)

I didn’t mind Mularkey as a dude (or how he presented himself), but I wasn’t a fan of his coaching. 

I feel like nobody expected him to last long they were just impressed with his protection plan for Mariota's growth.

Creating a conservative, run-first offense is a good thing for a young QB. But after 1-2 seasons you have to start expanding or you won't go far.

But you play the long game, give Mariota some continuity until you find the coach that takes you to the next level. Mularkey established the foundation upon which the Titans are STILL playing on.

The question now is whether Mularkey could've expanded anything even if he wanted to.

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I feel like nobody expected him to last long they were just impressed with his protection plan for Mariota's growth.

Creating a conservative, run-first offense is a good thing for a young QB. But after 1-2 seasons you have to start expanding or you won't go far.

But you play the long game, give Mariota some continuity until you find the coach that takes you to the next level. Mularkey established the foundation upon which the Titans are STILL playing on.

The question now is whether Mularkey could've expanded anything even if he wanted to.

Mularkey had some of the most beautifully designed run plays I've ever seen. His run scheme is general was superb even though the run game started to go south later in the year (2016).

IMO the issue with him is that his passing scheme just wasn't good. The playcalling wasn't great and generally the passing concepts too often attacked too little of the field which made it too easy for defenses to take them away. This in turn increased the degree of difficulty which became toohigh on too many throws. 

Mularkey wasn't a dumpster-fire (Robiskie was though) and I would've been fine with keeping him had he agreed to make some changes/concessions for 2018. 

2 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

There is a long list of HCs who won SBs with good QBs who then sucked, the position is overrated by fans, Vrabel went 9-7 too and Mariota still sucked, how about McCarthy. 

Just now, OILERMAN said:

Was LaFleuer? Less points per game?

I mean there is no comparison between what LaFleur had to go through and Robiscuit. LaFleur had a gimp QB from the second series of the first game on. They had to implement a lot of wildcat and win games with that stiff Gabbert. What Vrabel and LaFleur did last year was miraculous when compared to Robiscuit. 

4 hours ago, nine said:

My biggest reservation with Tannehill is the INTs.    He's not at a Ryan Fitz-tragic level, but he's ranked among the highest INT rates in the league in each of the past three seasons he played (2015-16-18).....and reviewing film of his INTs over that period, many of them were just god-awful throws and/or horrible decisions.   

The two INTs in last year's season opener are a good example.   The Vacarro INT was overthrown so badly, it had to be a miscommunication....and the Malcom Butler INT was just a straight-up terrible throw that gave the receiver no chance.    But RT also had several great throws that day, including a spectacular, perfectly-placed bomb to Kenny Stills for a 70+ yard TD.

We've all noted the similarities between Tannehill and Mariota.   IMO,  the biggest difference is that Tannehill throws with better velocity and he has more of a Brett Favre gunslinger mentality....which is usually a good thing.  But it can also cause problems....and sometimes it's just downright awful.

Tannehills biggest problem is that he’s 31 and was in a passing offense with targets that knew how to get open.. and we all saw what he is and he gets no better. 

Mariotas biggest problems are he can’t stay healthy, and there’s chaos everywhere on the offense except for him... and we still don’t know what he is and if it gets better with health/consistency.. but signs point to yes when those have been there. 

2 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

What’s he even doing these days? (Not really a slight. I legit am curious as to what he is doing)

What is anyone from that staff doing?

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

I subscribe to the belief that you either throw a fuckton or you give them a run game. If you start out running you have to progress to throwing a ton.. because as has been mentioned here with the manning talk.. you want the most reps possible for a QB. 

Instead, he doubled down on running when the QB was coming back from a broken leg and the main RB turned ancient overnight... while refusing to let the heisman trophy RB get more carries. 

6 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Say what you will about Mularkey, but I'm still pretty glad so far that we moved on and replaced him with Vrabel.

I'd be mad/disappointed if we moved on from Vrabel as quickly as we did Mularkey. He's more of a long-haul hire.

5 minutes ago, titanruss said:

What is anyone from that staff doing?

I subscribe to the belief that you either throw a fuckton or you give them a run game. If you start out running you have to progress to throwing a ton.. because as has been mentioned here with the manning talk.. you want the most reps possible for a QB. 

Instead, he doubled down on running when the QB was coming back from a broken leg and the main RB turned ancient overnight... while refusing to let the heisman trophy RB get more carries. 

I don't think you know when and where to blame Mularkey anymore. Because it doesn't add up.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic