California city set to ban gendered words like 'manhole' and 'manpower'

Denali

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I worked in Berkeley for a while. San Francisco gets a bad rap nationally by right-wingers who think it's farther left than it is.  I mean it's liberal, but there is (or was) more balance and

https://www.yahoo.com/news/berkeley-bans-gendered-words-manhole-195405363.html   The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted this week to ban gender-specific words in the liberal city’s muni

Who cares?  It has no real world consequences.

Posted Images

The title of the thread seems a little misleading.  They are not really "banning" non gender neutral words.  They are simply replacing such words in the City's municipal code with gender neutral terms.  

1 hour ago, wtenn said:

The title of the thread seems a little misleading.  They are not really "banning" non gender neutral words.  They are simply replacing such words in the City's municipal code with gender neutral terms.  

You aren’t going to trigger many snowflakes being reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

The San Francisco bay area in general might be the most beautiful place on earth. 

SF is great. Not going to argue that. If it were even remotely affordable I would consider moving there when my lease is up on my current place in a few months.

I’m not going to read through the whole thread, but I think both sides are incredibly dumb. 

1) why are people so mad they felt the need to change the term “manhole”. Don’t think that word is insensitive at all. Nevertheless, it’s being changed, and I think that’s dumb. 

2) People who are mad it’s being changed: why? How does it affect you? The Berkeley govt can’t stop citizens from calling it a manhole. This seems like a dumb thing to get mad about. 

So let us recap. It’s dumb to change the name. It’s just as dumb to

get mad about the name change. And that’s where we are in America. 

Advanced issues found

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

1) why are people so mad they felt the need to change the term “manhole”. Don’t think that word is insensitive at all. Nevertheless, it’s being changed, and I think that’s dumb. 

Doesn't necessarily mean this came about because of anger or outrage. Raised awareness and social progress happen, especially in places like Berkley. Hard to imagine this decision feels emotionally charged in that community at all. 

Seems like an inversion the old American ethos "socially fairly tolerant, fiscally conservative oriented" to now something along the lines of: "socially perpetually pissed off, fiscally whatever goes"