The Witcher

19 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I didn't know what to expect from this when I started watching. After seeing it I'm still not sure I know what I saw. I understand bits and pieces, but I'm definitely going to have to rewatch this. There are a lot of things to like about the show aside from Yennefer's lovely breasticles, but the time jumping without letting the viewer know that it's a time jump was done horribly, imo. Also, the world-proprietary factoids (Law Of Surprise, etc, etc) are all insider-info that they didn't exactly do the best job unpacking for us uninitiated folk. I mean, unless you've played the game (I haven't) or read the books (I haven't) it seems like you need a cliff notes help guide or something. GOT didn't need that, even though it similarly had a ton of world-specific info. It just held your attention from the start. There was a cohesiveness to it that was pretty much non-existent in The Witcher. Maybe that's just due to the different nature of the stories. I know Witcher was supposedly made up of short stories or whatever whereas GOT had novels to inform direction. But still... wish they'd found a way around the limitations of the short stories.

What is it about Yennefer that you didn't like? Her look? I've seen still shots of the way she looks in the game (I think). Jennifer Connelly probably looks the most like her, but maybe she's a bit older than they wanted the character. They could also have gotten Katherine Moennig from Ray Donovan to play her.

I was fine with the girl they got, but I didn't have any preset ideas about what the characters should look like. Idk if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

The time divergent arcs were poorly implemented. I think it was a call back to how the 1st few books are written as they do the same thing. Still it was unnecessary on the show. All they had to do was put up a simple line of text with the month and year and it would be a non issue.

As for question two, yennifer grew on me as the season went on. You are right in that my frame of reference for both characters is the witcher 3 down to the voice actors. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-s-the-witcher-is-getting-a-live-action-prequel-1844516987

Cavill has already stated that season 2 will have a tighter story--most likely much more focused on Geralt and Ciri.    For cinema-philes, I've told them it's like GoT's mixed with Hellboy 2

Posted Images

21 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

Is the same actor playing the hunch-back Yennifer and the transformed Yennifer.  Or two different people?  The transformed one looks more different than makeup would explain.  

Prosthetics

Renfri was a poorly chosen actress, imo. Yennifeer was fine.

The writing isn't the best in a variety of ways but the lack of subtlety is key there. A lot of stuff is just told to you instead of shown to you.

I thought it initially and feel it more and more as time passes ... the better this show is and the worse Mandalorian is.

16 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Renfri was a poorly car character, imo. Yennifeer was fine.

The writing isn't the best in a variety of ways but the lack of subtly is key there. A lot of stuff is just told to you instead of shown to you.

I thought it initially but more time passes ... the better this show is and the eyes Mandalorian is.

Idk what it is... maybe some of your words are off/typos or you're just a little drunk... but something is off here.

Either that or I'm off/drunk.

6 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Idk what it is... maybe some of your words are off/typos or you're just a little drunk... but something is off here.

Either that or I'm off/drunk.

Now you know why I edit every post. No idea why I didn't proof read this one. But it was late at night.

Fixed, btw.

4 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Now you know why I edit every post. No idea why I didn't proof read this one. But it was late at night.

Fixed, btw.

Are you finding that you're producing more typos than you used to? Because I sure as fuck am. I've never been good at typing on a phone anyway, but it seems like it's more of an issue lately.

Just now, NashvilleNinja said:

Are you finding that you're producing more typos than you used to? Because I sure as fuck am. I've never been good at typing on a phone anyway, but it seems like it's more of an issue lately.

I think predictive text for swipe-typing is significantly worse than it was a year or so ago. Some of the inputs are super odd, based on what I swiped.

5 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

I think predictive text for swipe-typing is significantly worse than it was a year or so ago. Some of the inputs are super odd, based on what I swiped.

I agree, which is why I don't have predictive text on. My typos are "homegrown"... straight from my retarded brain.

Season one was definitely difficult to follow with all of the jumping around in the time line, but I expect that the following seasons will be much better in this regard. 

I didn't want to like the show at 1st but after getting through the 1st 2-3 episodes, I really enjoyed it. 

The only character I don't like for their role is Triss and that's just because she doesn't look anything like the character in Wild Hunt. That's unfair to the actress though, so I'll put my bias to the side and let her grow on me. 

I can't wait to meet Johnny and the ladies of the wood!! 

Some online info that help explains the timeline... (spoilers)

"We've fallen head over heels down the rabbit hole of witches, monsters, and destiny in Netflix's adaptation of The Witcher. If you've recently started watching the series, you've probably noticed around episode three that the timeline isn't linear, and by episode five you might be downright confused. While things turn right-side up by episode eight, the season finale could leave you with more questions than resolutions if you haven't been paying close attention. The easiest way to get things in order is to consider each lead character as their own timeline — Yennefer of Vengerberg (Anya Chalotra), Geralt of Rivia (Henry Cavill), and Princess Cirilla (Freya Allen), who we also know as Ciri.

Throughout the season, we watch as their stories fall into place like the tumbling of a Jenga tower, making it rough, for some, to follow along. Creator of the series adaptation Lauren Schmidt Hissrich patterned the timeline flow after the film Dunkirk and explained that Yennefer's story spans across 70 years, Geralt's story 20 years and Ciri's a quick two weeks. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here's a look key moments in the season, in historical order, to help you make sense of the magical chaos."

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yennefer

Despite the first episode opening with a battle between the witcher and a kikimora, it is Yennefer's story that comes first in this timeline. Bullied and abused because of her deformity, Yennefer is sold to Tissaia de Vries for four marks after accidentally opening a magic portal. She is then taken to Aretuza where she begins her training in controlling chaos — magic. Although she does possess some abilities, she falls short in comparison to the other trainees leaving her frustrated and insecure.

After having her mage assignment changed by the Brotherhood from Aedirn to Nilfgaard, Yennefer becomes fed up with the way things have been going for years at Aretuza and decides to take control of her own destiny. She sacrifices her uterus and undergoes a transformation to rid herself of her deformity and become beautiful, leaving her sterile. Instead of Nilfgaard, her beauty wins over the king of Aedirn and leaves a bitter Fringilla to take her place in Nilfgaard.

spacer.png

Geralt

Geralt slays a kikimora and ends up in a town called Blaviken to collect a bounty. In a tavern, he encounters Renfri — a head strong, young woman with an entourage of bad men at her beck and call. Led away by a young girl, Geralt is introduced to Stregobor, a sorcerer in hiding from Renfri. He tells Geralt that Renfri must be killed as she is the last of 60 women born during the Curse of the Black Sun — women that would bring about Lilit, a big bad that would bring about destruction. Not interested in his offer, Geralt leaves Blaviken where he encounters Renfri again. They share a moment in the woods where Renfri whispers about a "girl in the woods" being his destiny. Renfri and her entourage all die brutal, bloody deaths at the hand of Geralt, leaving him with the moniker "the Butcher of Blaviken."

spacer.png

Triss Merigold

Temeria is a small mining kingdom terrorized by a monster that bested another witcher. Hearing of this, Geralt makes his way there, where he encounters Triss Merigold — the mage to King Foltest. It is discovered that the monster is actually a striga — a creature that is created by a curse. This striga is a princess, the daughter of Adda, the king's sister. Geralt figures how to break the curse and is nearly killed in the process. Before leaving Temeria, Triss reminds him again of his destiny with the girl in the woods.

spacer.png

Jaskier

Jaskier, Geralt's annoying companion and singer-songwriter we've grown to love, hires our witcher as a bodyguard of sorts to keep him safe during a wedding feast in Cintra. Pavetta, the daughter of Queen Calanthe, is to be promised to another when a cursed knight, Duny, shows up to claim her hand in marriage through the Law of Surprise. A fight breaks out and Geralt defends Duny against the Queen herself. As payment, Geralt chooses the Law of Surprise which unknowingly binds himself to the child Pavetta is carrying.  Jaskier is a travelling bard who befriends and accompanies Geralt on his path.

spacer.png

Ciri (Cirilla)

The crown princess of Cintra, and granddaughter of Queen Calanthe, who possesses magical powers.  Cintra has been invaded and Ciri is on the run when she meets Dara. Voices call Ciri into Brokilan — a mystical forest inhabited by Dryads. Later, a doppler disguised as Mousesack comes to rescue her. She figures out his deception and gets away when she comes across Anton. She unleashes a world of hurt on Anton and his crew and is then taken in by a woman who has tried to help her before.