Can Adam Humphries help bring back the 2016 version of Marcus Mariota?

Huston

12 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Yes, but they could have been way better had they had a good slot reciever or TE. 

I said going into the season a slot guy was one of the biggest needs for the offense. Yes Humphries should help the offense for sure in the regard. Add in the fact MM is better between the hashmarks and it will probably help him, although asking if this one addition will return him to his 2016 streak is a stretch. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunter, DGB, Decker, Johnson, Douglas, McBride Turzilli, Matthews, Mariani, Richardson et al. You can say that Mariota was the problem, but if that's the case, why haven't any of them furthered t

the dog ate my homework has been used to no avail also...but if the dog actually ate your homework it's a pretty damn legit excuse

In mentioning Wright, the author should have made a bigger point of the fact he only played 11 games in 2016. He was on the PUP list early in the season, and Mariota's 8 game stretch of exception

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I said going into the season a slot guy was one of the biggest needs for the offense. Yes Humphries should help the offense for sure in the regard. Add in the fact MM is better between the hashmarks and it will probably help him, although asking if this one addition will return him to his 2016 streak is a stretch. 

Agree, What will return him to that form will be the running game if we see a consistent and forceful Henry.... 2016 Mariota was predicated on Murray being such a threat and having the receivers be a defensive afterthought

2016 Mariota wasn’t killing it because he had an awesome slot weapon in Delanie (obviously helped though) but because he hit the entire field.... I just don’t see us adding a slot weapon as the cog that will open up the rest of the field

3 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Agree, What will return him to that form will be the running game if we see a consistent and forceful Henry.... 2016 Mariota was predicated on Murray being such a threat and having the receivers be a defensive afterthought

2016 Mariota wasn’t killing it because he had an awesome slot weapon in Delanie (obviously helped though) but because he hit the entire field.... I just don’t see us adding a slot weapon as the cog that will open up the rest of the field

Totally agree, in fact the Titans need to play more heavy sets and throw from them more often. In 2016 they made a ton of big pass plays from 1 and 2 WR sets off of playaction because teams stacked the box and played man coverage. 

Warren Sharpe was talking the other day how teams like NE, the Eagles, Atlanta and SF were going more and more heavy and throwing from it. Defenses are now built small and fast to cover and play nickel.

The obvious counter is to go heavy. 

It's not that the Titans need to spread the field and throw more often. They need to throw more on 1st down from heavy sets against single coverage where Mariota can get predefined reads

12 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Totally agree, in fact the Titans need to play more heavy sets and throw from them more often. In 2016 they made a ton of big pass plays from 1 and 2 WR sets off of playaction because teams stacked the box and played man coverage. 

Warren Sharpe was talking the other day how teams like NE, the Eagles, Atlanta and SF were going more and more heavy and throwing from it. Defenses are now built small and fast to cover and play nickel.

The obvious counter is to go heavy. 

It's not that the Titans need to spread the field and throw more often. They need to throw more on 1st down from heavy sets against single coverage where Mariota can get predefined reads

Why would we sign the highest paid slot receiver in FA if this is the plan? Obviously Robinson and Vrabel simply don’t agree with you. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Why would we sign the highest paid slot receiver in FA if this is the plan? Obviously Robinson and Vrabel simply don’t agree with you. 

Because as discussed, they didn't have one and regardless of how many heavy sets they play all teams play 3 WRs close to 50% of the time. We also do not know how much Humphries will play in base sets. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Because as discussed, they didn't have one and regardless of how many heavy sets they play all teams play 3 WRs close to 50% of the time. We also do not know how much Humphries will play in base sets. 

I actually wonder if Taylor may get some reps on 1st downs. Unless there’s an injury I obviously expect Davis & Humphries to get the most snaps & Brown to probably be the 3rd WR. But I can see Taylor getting some 1st downs when the other guys get a breather, based on how last year finished he’s our best deep WR off play action.

If I was running a 3 TE or 2RB/2TE set I’d want Taylor as the lone WR. He’s shown he can run by secondaries & track it over his shoulder.

Edited by Face

42 minutes ago, Face said:

I actually wonder if Taylor may get some reps on 1st downs. Unless there’s an injury I obviously expect Davis & Humphries to get the most snaps & Brown to probably be the 3rd WR. But I can see Taylor getting some 1st downs when the other guys get a breather, based on how last year finished he’s our best deep WR off play action.

If I was running a 3 TE or 2RB/2TE set I’d want Taylor as the lone WR. He’s shown he can run by secondaries & track it over his shoulder.

I totally agree, on run downs against single coverage off of playaction is where Taylor's speed can be used best 

I have a question for you guys.....

Would you be willing to sign Mariota to a long term deal IF we knew he had a career ahead of him where he no longer misses games,gets the injuries under control,will win 9 or 10 games EVERY YEAR but no more than 10. Once in the postseason he has a tendency to be clutch anything can happen......

Would you sign him to a long term deal?????

If you could see into the future, you would be able to see if MM wins a SB.  In fantasy land anything short of SB means no long term deal for mediocrity.  In the real world you look at history.  We have 4 years of history...

To my understanding, Brown spent most of his college career playing in the slot;  most of his reps outside came after DK Metcalf was lost for the season.

The current roster should give them pretty good flexibility.   We can assume Humphries is primarily a slot guy who might move outside occasionally;   Taylor and Sharpe are primarily outside guys and probably won't get many reps working from the slot.

Davis is obviously the X-receiver and will get most of his reps outside....but he got plenty of reps working from the slot last year and could move inside for certain packages/formations.    I see Brown as more of a wildcard whose role changes depending on the personnel package.  He can line up outside in the 2-3 WR packages or move to the slot in 3-4 WR packages...but with more experienced veterans like Hump, Taylor, and Sharpe also available, they can start Brown on a pitch count of maybe 20-25 snaps early in the season and let him grow into the roles.

2 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

I have a question for you guys.....

Would you be willing to sign Mariota to a long term deal IF we knew he had a career ahead of him where he no longer misses games,gets the injuries under control,will win 9 or 10 games EVERY YEAR but no more than 10. Once in the postseason he has a tendency to be clutch anything can happen......

Would you sign him to a long term deal?????

nope

if you told me he is guy that will keep you competitive and in the playoffs most years than yes I would.

but to say he will never win more than 10 games would be a deal breaker.

If he's an above average QB (which I think is what you are describing) then I would take him and hope that we get a couple years where we maybe get a little bit lucky and win 11 or 12 games...get a bye once or twice and have a pretty legitimate shot at a SB.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:54 AM, patsplat said:

Setting aside injuries, Humphries is the #2 WR.  Taylor is #3.  Brown will play some and might flash, but is a rookie so don't expect much.

Taylor is not #3. He shouldn't even be #4. 

It goes CD, Humphries, Brown, Sharpe, and then Taylor.