Jump to content
Huston

Can Adam Humphries help bring back the 2016 version of Marcus Mariota?

Recommended Posts

Huston   

Great read.

 

The Titans addition of Humphries should turn a major weakness into a strength.

By Mike B. [email protected] Jul 17, 2019, 11:00am CDT

 

Do the Titans miss Kendall Wright?

I know, it’s a weird question to ask as we patiently anxiously await the start of training camp next week. Wright is widely remembered among Titans fans as the team’s failed first round pick from the 2012 NFL Draft. A guy who flashed briefly in 2013, but then came crashing back to earth like so many Tennessee receivers have before him.

To be honest, I’ve barely thought about Wright since he left the team following the 2016 season. He spent one forgettable season with the Bears in 2017 and then failed to find his way onto an NFL field last season. Wright currently isn’t on a 90-man roster and appears to be done with professional football at this point, at least at the top level.

So how could the Titans possibly miss a guy who’s not even in the league anymore?

Well, let’s start with the tweet and article from Pro Football Focus that got me started down this strange, dark rabbit hole.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Titans

Within the linked article, you can find a chart that ranks 22 current quarterbacks who are projected to be starters in 2019 and have at least 800 pass attempts in the past decade. Marcus Mariota’s numbers overall fall about where you’d think they would — a little below the middle of the pack — but his rating when targeting two specific positions standout.

When passing to running backs Mariota is among the best in the NFL, boasting a passer rating of 104.5, good for 4th among this group of quarterbacks. However, when targeting slot receivers the Titans quarterback ranks dead last with a passer rating of 81.7.

 

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/7/17/20696819/can-adam-humphries-help-bring-back-the-2016-version-of-marcus-mariota

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he could be a big difference maker for the offense.   

I think that Delanie can come back and be what he was for the most part...or at least close enough to make some big plays in clutch moments.

Adding him and Humphries is a big deal.  Then throw in Davis going into his 3rd year and Brown growing as a rookie.  

Big upgrade from last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In mentioning Wright, the author should have made a bigger point of the fact he only played 11 games in 2016.

He was on the PUP list early in the season, and Mariota's 8 game stretch of exceptional play started with Wright's return.

 

It still amazes me the number of receivers the Titans have relied on since 2014 who are no longer on a roster anywhere.  They were just junk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
3 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

In mentioning Wright, the author should have made a bigger point of the fact he only played 11 games in 2016.

He was on the PUP list early in the season, and Mariota's 8 game stretch of exceptional play started with Wright's return.

 

It still amazes me the number of receivers the Titans have relied on since 2014 who are no longer on a roster anywhere.  They were just junk.

That thought ran through my mind when you mentioned Wright.  He was the best of them. Hunter. DBG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Number9 said:

That thought ran through my mind when you mentioned Wright.  He was the best of them. Hunter. DBG. 

Hunter, DGB, Decker, Johnson, Douglas, McBride Turzilli, Matthews, Mariani, Richardson et al.

You can say that Mariota was the problem, but if that's the case, why haven't any of them furthered their careers elsewhere?

DGB never made it out of camp with Philly, did he?  He was Marcus's leading WR in 2015.

 

They really were disastrous as players to begin with, or washed up when they arrived.  Except Matthews.

It seems to me that Mariota should be recognized for making some headway, even with those poor examples of NFL WRs.  None of them can claim to be starting talent anywhere else in the league, and only a couple of them ever even made a roster at all after leaving N'ville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Number9   
16 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

It seems to me that Mariota should be recognized for making some headway, even with those poor examples of NFL WRs.  None of them can claim to be starting talent anywhere else in the league, and only a couple of them ever even made a roster at all after leaving N'ville.

Sorry TDF, that excuse has been used before to no avail.  Ask Jake and VY, they had lists of WR who could not even crack your list above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Sorry TDF, that excuse has been used before to no avail.  Ask Jake and VY, they had lists of WR who could not even crack your list above.

Excuses?  The receivers Marcus has had have sucked.  And they sucked worse elsewhere.

 

But those QB's results?  Their RZ performance(s)?  Completion percentages?  TD:INT ratios?

Britt had a career beyond TN including 1k yards with LA.  Avery played after TN and even Washington had one decent year.

The receivers Marcus has had in N'ville didn't do half of that after leaving.  Most haven't been good enough to make a roster, much less become starters.

DGB had more yards with Marcus than Wright, or Hunter or Douglas.  And later was deemed too stupid to play for Philly.  Think about that for a minute.

 

The Titans' problems didn't begin with Mariota.

And we all know that.  But to hear you guys tell it,....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FRT   

I feel Hump will help from a WR standpoint without question.  Not sure he has the VooDoo majic though for the broken neck & funny bone that seemed to kill the season in 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
7 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Hunter, DGB, Decker, Johnson, Douglas, McBride Turzilli, Matthews, Mariani, Richardson et al.

You can say that Mariota was the problem, but if that's the case, why haven't any of them furthered their careers elsewhere?

DGB never made it out of camp with Philly, did he?  He was Marcus's leading WR in 2015.

 

They really were disastrous as players to begin with, or washed up when they arrived.  Except Matthews.

It seems to me that Mariota should be recognized for making some headway, even with those poor examples of NFL WRs.  None of them can claim to be starting talent anywhere else in the league, and only a couple of them ever even made a roster at all after leaving N'ville.

Don't forget Nick Williams that the Titans cut last year.  In addition, Batson and Jennings are little more than replacement level players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nine   

It's safe to assume Humphries is better and more dependable out of the slot than anything we saw from Sharpe and Taylor last year.    From what I've seen of him on film, Hump excels at finding gaps in coverage and creating separation....and he can be relied on to catch the ball when it hits him in the hands.   These were all issues for last year's receiving corps.

 

But the receiver can only do so much;   now it's up to Marcus to hold up his end of the bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ctm said:

Don't forget Nick Williams that the Titans cut last year.  In addition, Batson and Jennings are little more than replacement level players.

True, however those guys could still be categorized as developmental players.  At some point they may yet contribute in N'ville or elsewhere.

 

But between the results of the 2019 FA period and the draft, it's fairly obvious what the FO's overall impression of the 2018 receiving corps was.

And it's not like JRob wasn't trying in the past as well.  But he was just too late on some guys like Decker and Johnson.  And Johnson may have stuck a little longer if it hadn't been for Matthews' sniveling about playing time/snaps.

But it is what it is.

 

Moving on,...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
2 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

the dog ate my homework has been used to no avail also...but if the dog actually ate your homework it's a pretty damn legit excuse

Exactly. People just love to write things off by calling them excuses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FRT   
2 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

But between the results of the 2019 FA period and the draft, it's fairly obvious what the FO's overall impression of the 2018 receiving corps was.

Wonder if this same logic will be used by folks at other positions drafted after the 2020 draft?  After all WR was not the only thing picked up in the 2019 FA period.  First round graded talent is always a good thing to pick up in the second round of the draft is it not?

 

Yes moving on ... JRob has greatly improved this team as GM for sure.  Many have pointed out he is not perfect but none are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...