Sign in to follow this  
AussieTitanFan08

Deion Jones' new contract highlights what a bargain we have in Jayon Brown

Deion Jones is a pretty good cover ILB, but personally I think the Falcons might of overpaid a bit with his new contract announced today, $14.25 million a season is a big whack for a guy who has had stress fractures in his foot and missed most of last season.

Statistically wise Jayon Brown was trending towards Deion Jones level production with the way he was playing in late 2018, and with a couple of years left of his rookie contract looks to be an absolute steal for us for the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, 8MM said:

IMO, Brown is a bigger difference maker than Byard.

Disagree

i would choose Byard over Brown 10/10 times if I had to pick one or the other

Jones justifies this contract, if Mosley and Alexander are the new norm.  The writing is on the wall for Brown, IMO.  He'll be a rockstar FA with his ability and magnetic personality.  We'll have to groom someone

Edited by abc2330

2 hours ago, 8MM said:

IMO, Brown is a bigger difference maker than Byard.

Apples and oranges first of all. Brown is probably the most important linebacker (at this point) and Byard is probably the most important defensive back. But if I were forced to choose between the two I'd choose Byard over Brown without hesitation. Safeties as good as Byard are in much shorter supply than linebackers like Brown. And in this era of football, where passing offenses have all the leverage and advantage, it's important to minimize how often you get beat deep.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

Brown is a bargain. The defense as a whole is quite the unit now. It's too bad we will never see a ring because it's wasted on this fucking quarterback marcus fucking suckskkskksksfnasdkongsaoskngokngo'aknf'okndfokf

But in all seriousness, I hope we can pay all these guys. There are some contracts coming up. We can always dump some fat in guys like Butler. 

What really stood out with Brown last year was how good a blitzer he was. He was terrific in pass coverage, which is what he was drafted to do. But I don’t think anyone expected him to be as good a pass rusher as he was. His instincts are tremendous. And in this defense the LBers are a major part of the pass rush.

Our 6th rd pick was interesting, David Long. Everybody wrote him off as a STer but I always subtract about 2 rds for guards & LBers due to positional importance. They just aren’t now picked as often, so Long is probably more like a 4th rounder.  And everybody who watched or played with him loved him to death. Anyway, his tackle for loss numbers are some of the most insane I’ve ever seen. Seriously, he has tackle for loss production of a big time edge rusher, which is just nuts for an off ball LBer. We obviously want guys who can make plays at the position & he may eventually be Browns replacement of we can’t resign him, which I really hope isn’t the case.

Either way, I can’t wait to see Brown & Evans this year.

In 2018,  the Titans D had 39 sacks, which ranked them #16 in the league.   Casey led the team with 7;   Jayon Brown had 6....Woodyard, Landry, and Ryan all had 4 - 4.5.

The middle-of-the-pack ranking leaves plenty of room for improvement...and there's ample reason to believe it will happen.    The starting DEs (Orakpo/Morgan) produced only two sacks all season.  Rashaan Evans was an excellent pass rusher in college, but was rarely afforded an opportunity use those skills as a rookie. 

There's a very good chance that the starting DEs (Wake/Landry) will produce 15-20+ sacks this year....and there's no question Evans will have a much bigger role in year 2.    Between Evans and Jayon, we could easily see 12+ sacks from the ILB position as teams won't know which guy is coming.     (Hell, we saw 10.5 from Brown/Woodyard without even trying to get Evans involved.)

Add in the contribution from depth guys like Correa, Walker, and Long....and the occasional DB blitz from Byard/Ryan/Butler...and this defense could pose some real problems for opposing offenses.    (And while nobody's banking on it,  there's also the possibility of Simmons contributing something down the stretch.)

Last year's defense didn't have a great pass rush, but they had their moments as several different players contributed.   This year's roster should have a lot more sheer talent...and with the same scheme and Pees still calling the plays, I suspect they'll be much harder for opposing teams to deal with.

Agree.  Brown solidified a big contract with his rush ability now added to his ability to play in space.   

7 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This staff, like NE doesn’t care about sacks

Interesting comment.....  has nothing to do with anything but ..... thanks