Arthur Smith: Titans Will Ride Derrick Henry This Year

tgo

On 7/17/2019 at 1:20 PM, OILERMAN said:

Henry is in his last year, no reason not to run him into the ground 

Will be interesting to see what we do if we literally ride him with 350 carries and he gaines 1,500 yards against loaded boxes all year and gets us to the postseason where we win another wild card and come close to making the AFC title game. IF that does happen i could see us tagging him one more year while getting ready for the future drafting a new RB early like we did Henry.

One thing you can say about the Tennessee Titans we have had a lot of luck with RB our 20 years in Nashville.

Eddie George retiring with 10,000 yards rushing career wise playing 7 years without missing a game for TN.

Chris Johnson had a 2,000 yard season and holds the NFL record for most yardage gained in one year rushing/receiving combined 2.509 yards,CJ also holds the NFL record for most runs for a RB over 80 yards with six. CJ had 10,000 yards (8000 running,2000 receiving) his 6 years in TN never missing a game. Only player in NFL history with a touchdown of 50 yards, 60 yards, and 90 yards in one game.

Derrick Henry holds the NFL record for longest run ever 99 yards set in 2018 as well as first player in NFL history to record a 200+ yard and 4+ touchdown game on fewer than 22 carries

Between Eddie/CJ they altogether 13 years in Tennessee without missing a game so both were very durable.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Duh, who didn't already know this?   The problem is you ain't running to success with this schedule, you have to score points and points come from the passing game. 

I'm definitely ready for some "fun heavy" offense!! LOL ?

Henry is in his last year, no reason not to run him into the ground 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Two coaching staffs are the reason to think it

Henry was a known liability in pass protection when Mularkey was here.  

Last year, the coaching staff obviously preferred Lewis as the better receiving option.   The problem was that whatever advantages he offered in the passing game were offset by his overall ineffectiveness as a runner... which became a significant detriment to the offense as a whole.    And then when he became ineffective as a receiver down the stretch....it was just downright ugly. 

After struggling for the first four weeks, Henry was consistently the better and more productive runner from week 5 on.  He had limited snaps in the passing game but was effective when given the opportunity.

Lewis was a quality receiving option for most of the the year...but as a runner he was horribly ineffective aside from 2-3 solid games here and there.   But despite his ongoing inconsistency as a runner, the coaching staff made Lewis their #1 bell cow and kept feeding him even after his production fell off a cliff...to the point where it became downright embarrassing.  

Mularkey limited Henry’s reps due to known limitations...which is fine.  He now appears to have fixed those limitations.

Last year’s staff chose to phase Henry out of the offense and go in another direction entirely, despite Henry being the more consistent and productive player week after week.    They sacrificed production in the running game in favor of a slightly better receiving target.   It was a calculated decision by the coaching staff that worked okay for 3-4 weeks....but after that, it fell apart quickly.  And from that point it was a complete disaster.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

When both staffs do something there is likely a reason

Saying both of them made the same mistake seems presumptuous 

Saying both of them didn’t make mistakes is a bit black and white. 

You can think the staff is very very good and still criticize them for making mistakes. MLF did plenty of stuff I questioned through the season in regards to playcalling. Overall, he was good, but he made mistakes. 

I just disagree with how simple you think these situations are. There are complicating factors, in my opinion. 

Mularkey leaned to the vet (Murray) way too much.  Was just who he is and he's currently not a HC anymore so I think we know not only what the Titans thought of him but what the league as a whole thinks of Mularkey.  No doubt they should have gone to Henry more in his second year.

Yes younger players make more mistakes but they also are more dynamic and make plays at a greater rate than the older guys.  No doubt that Henry was more explosive than Murray.  Mularkey being tasked with keeping Mariota upright may have weighed into that decision.

What they did last year with Dion was just stupid coaching IMO.  Trying to play both RB's in the same role and go with the hot hand was just idiotic.

2 hours ago, nine said:

Henry was a known liability in pass protection when Mularkey was here.  

Last year, the coaching staff obviously preferred Lewis as the better receiving option.   The problem was that whatever advantages he offered in the passing game were offset by his overall ineffectiveness as a runner... which became a significant detriment to the offense as a whole.    And then when he became ineffective as a receiver down the stretch....it was just downright ugly. 

After struggling for the first four weeks, Henry was consistently the better and more productive runner from week 5 on.  He had limited snaps in the passing game but was effective when given the opportunity.

Lewis was a quality receiving option for most of the the year...but as a runner he was horribly ineffective aside from 2-3 solid games here and there.   But despite his ongoing inconsistency as a runner, the coaching staff made Lewis their #1 bell cow and kept feeding him even after his production fell off a cliff...to the point where it became downright embarrassing.  

Mularkey limited Henry’s reps due to known limitations...which is fine.  He now appears to have fixed those limitations.

Last year’s staff chose to phase Henry out of the offense and go in another direction entirely, despite Henry being the more consistent and productive player week after week.    They sacrificed production in the running game in favor of a slightly better receiving target.   It was a calculated decision by the coaching staff that worked okay for 3-4 weeks....but after that, it fell apart quickly.  And from that point it was a complete disaster.

That's just not true. Early in the season both Henry and Lewis were close in terms of YPC ... the difference? Lewis was a known commodity in the passing game.

When weighing the pros and cons Henry's boom runs weren't coming often enough to keep Lewis off the field. It was only until 1. Lewis went from bad to worse 2. Henry starting playing every down like it was his last after the bye.

• Henry was given 18 carries in Weeks 2 and 3. That only happened twice in the second half of the season. Those first three games they gave him opportunities to take the job. He didn't do enough to warrant more.
  • He didn't get above 3.2 YPC until Week 5. Then the following week he had 21 yards on 7 carries. There was no reason for coaches to change their pattern and feed him the ball over Lewis.

Just now, Mythos27 said:

It honestly wouldn't have mattered who was getting those carries earlier in the season. There was simply no running room to speak of. 

So when the blocking was bad. Both were equally bad.

But when the blocking got better, one became great and the other stayed bad?

Just now, big2033 said:

So when the blocking was bad. Both were equally bad.

But when the blocking got better, one became great and the other stayed bad?

In terms of production yes. I think you and I had a conversation about who was the better back with running room last season (before the improvements) and disagreed.When the running room was actually created one was able to show he had legit running ability while the other showed he wasn't ready to be the dominant every down back he was being hyped to be. Lewis also got physically worse as the season wore on. He wasn't breaking the tackles he was bouncing off of earlier in the year and his lightning quickness just wasn't there. I don't know if he just got too many carries or if he was harboring some kind of injury but it seems to me something was off with him physically. Maybe Eddie should've had a talk with both backs...

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

In terms of production yes. I think you and I had a conversation about who was the better back with running room last season (before the improvements) and disagreed.When the running room was actually created one was able to show he had legit running ability while the other showed he wasn't ready to be the dominant every down back he was being hyped to be. Lewis also got physically worse as the season wore on. He wasn't breaking the tackles he was bouncing off of earlier in the year and his lightning quickness just wasn't there. I don't know if he just got too many carries or if he was harboring some kind of injury but it seems to me something was off with him physically. Maybe Eddie should've had a talk with both backs...

I don't think he could handle the workload.  I mean, he isn't the physical freak that Henry is, and he's slight as is.

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Seems like a lot of explaining when the one constant is from the horses mouth: Henry started playing better.

You've talked about blocking, play calling, coaches, splits, carries, holes.

We've said: Henry started playing better.

A lot of explaining vs. one simple explanation that everyone who play or coach the game are on board with.

I'm gonna play the odds and go with them.

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Seems like a lot of explaining when the one constant is from the horses mouth: Henry started playing better.

You've talked about blocking, play calling, coaches, splits, carries, holes.

We've said: Henry started playing better.

A lot of explaining vs. one simple explanation that everyone who play or coach the game are on board with.

I'm gonna play the odds and go with them.

So because your answer is simpler, that makes it right? Got it. Who can argue with that logic...

Just now, Mythos27 said:

So because your answer is simpler, that makes it right? Got it. Who can argue with that logic...

No, it makes it more likely.

My logic is from direct sources and is pretty definitive in its explanation.

Edited by big2033

8 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I don't think he could handle the workload.  I mean, he isn't the physical freak that Henry is, and he's slight as is.

It was question we all had of him before the season even started. No one knew whether he could carry the load or not given how few carries he was getting per season and his injury history. I'm not stating it as fact but it's not unreasonable to consider his body just couldn't take it. He turn around and do this season for all we know. 

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

No, it makes it more likely.

My logic is from direct sources and is pretty definitive in its explanation.

No. It doesn't. When discussing complex systems, with multiple moving parts like an NFL offense the simple answer isn't always the right answer. Your logic is based on conjecture and dot-connecting, mine is backed by hard data. Looks like we've wasted each other's time. I was right about that, too ?

5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

No. It doesn't. When discussing complex systems, with multiple moving parts like an NFL offense the simple answer isn't always the right answer. Your logic is based on conjecture and dot-connecting, mine is backed by hard data. Looks like we've wasted each other's time. I was right about that, too ?

All that hard data but you ignore his performance with less carries in the second half of the season. Odd.

You have to dig deep to steer the argument elsewhere. I just have to look at a couple of games in the second half and see his YPC increased and eventually so did his carries. Better YPC, more carries.

Also, I'm not dot-connecting. The dots were connected already by the people who draft, play, run and catch on the field. The stats are just icing.

Do I have my opinion yes. But I don't need my opinion to put a stamp on this subject. You do. That's the difference.

Edited by big2033