Arthur Smith: Titans Will Ride Derrick Henry This Year

tgo

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

Heh. If only Henry had the Titans forum to tell him to keep running and don't listen to coaches or other star RBs ... it's the line's fault.

I’m not sure of your point. I was pointing out nine was talking about this throughout the season and had several long posts about it. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Duh, who didn't already know this?   The problem is you ain't running to success with this schedule, you have to score points and points come from the passing game. 

I'm definitely ready for some "fun heavy" offense!! LOL ?

Henry is in his last year, no reason not to run him into the ground 

22 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

There is a massive difference in saying that the guy can only do something in the 4th and will never improve compared to saying that is all he had shown at that point and has been a disappointment for someone his size up until 8 games ago

There is. And back then no one cared to make even that distinction. The clear insinuation was that he was racking up garbage yards against tired defense and couldn't do it against fresh defenses.

14 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

He was blind enough to not be disappointed by Henry and all the shortcomings were because the OL, coaching or Murray... He just wants everyone to know that he always knew that Henry was the dominant force we saw a few games last year his entire career while everyone was just hating on the guy because he was being held back by other circumstances

Yeah, pretty much. I mean sure he had some things to sort out as a player in terms of making stupid decisions and trying to do too much at times but yeah, the interior OL was without question the biggest source of problems regarding the running game. But don't take it from me, take it from PFF, unless they're just blind homers too.

29 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

You mean all those games his career he has proven otherwise? People will eat crow if he can do it for a whole season, not single digit games his entire career

My point is that the "closer" narrative should've never taken hold in the first place. He had no problems running well early in games his rookie year which is a pretty good indication that he was certainly capable of running well any time. The entire narrative was a simple way to acknowledge that Henry was racking up some yardage late in games while still insinuating he sucked versus "fresh or "real" defenses. It was a convenient back-handed compliment.

He hasn't proven he's a top 5-10 RB yet so I surely don't expect anyone to "eat crow" on that. I'm certainly not ready to crown him yet. Simply put there was a lot of stupid, annoying stuff being said on this board and now that it's been proven incorrect, I enjoy laughing at it. Had Henry bombed and gotten released, you all would've never let me live it down and you know it. Thankfully for all it didn't work out that way.

Btw, I wasn't trying to start some huge rehash debate. It was a throw-away comment that apparently riled everyone up.

42 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I'm not really sure what Mythos is arguing at this point.  The team tried to trade Henry and gave most of his snaps to Lewis before the big turnaround in the 2nd half of the year.

I started out arguing that saying the guy could only run well in the 4th quarter was stupid. People shifted the conversation so now I'm saying that the issues with running game were mostly on the OL and even if its true that the team tried to trade him, it would've been the wrong move. Trading Henry and keeping Lewis as RB1 would've been catastrophic as he had an awful season and the running game was the only thing keeping us above water late last season. It's not really so much an argument but really rehash of 2018 because I made a comment that hit some in the feels. 

Edited by Mythos27

52 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I started out arguing that saying the guy could only run well in the 4th quarter was stupid. People shifted the conversation so now I'm saying that the issues with running game were mostly on the OL and even if its true that the team tried to trade him, it would've been the wrong move. Trading Henry and keeping Lewis as RB1 would've been catastrophic as he had an awful season and the running game was the only thing keeping us above water late last season. It's not really so much an argument but really rehash of 2018 because I made a comment that hit some in the feels. 

I never thought that was the case, but he wasn't giving anyone much reason to think otherwise.  2016 was an indication that it wasn't all him, but people's memories tend to be short when frustrations are high.

He appeared to be a tad trimmer at OTAs, and that was the perception of some who attended as well.  I believe that this would benefit his running style, which is about explosive cutting and outmanuevering and maybe a tad too much lateral movement which seems to slow him down.  He doesn't have many head-on collisions,   so 247 seems like diminishing returns as far as his playing weight is concerned.

Edited by abc2330

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

I'm not really sure what Mythos is arguing at this point.  The team tried to trade Henry and gave most of his snaps to Lewis before the big turnaround in the 2nd half of the year.

He’s arguing he was right all along and refused to believe Henry himself, Eddie George or the coaches when he was losing snaps or playing himself out of the league. 

The final results are all that matter and anything that happened along the way is meaningless. 

And hes arguing it over and over and over and over

1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

I never thought that was the case, but he wasn't giving anyone much reason to think otherwise.  

He appeared to be a tad trimmer at OTAs, and that was the perception of some who attended as well.  I believe that this would benefit his running style, which is about explosive cutting and outmanuevering and maybe a tad too much lateral movement which seems to slow him down.  He doesn't have many head-on collisions,   so 247 seems like diminishing returns as far as his playing weight is concerned.

Look, its not like I think it's completely absurd that a lot of people looked at the state of the running game in 2018 and blamed Henry. It's pretty visceral and looks awful when you see your 6'3" 250 lb monster back being brought down in the backfield, failing to get 4 yards a carry, and at least appearing to go down easy. I really do get that. I just think that when you look closer you can clearly see that many of those plays were over before they started and that no one was going to have success under those circumstance. We also had a top 10 salaried RB and try and he got shutdown even worse. I'm rooting for him but I really don't know what to expect this season. The OL should be improved but we won't really know until the live bullets fly and who knows what we'll get from Mariota/ the passing game.

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

He’s arguing he was right all along and refused to believe Henry himself, Eddie George or the coaches when he was losing snaps or playing himself out of the league. 

The final results are all that matter and anything that happened along the way is meaningless. 

And hes arguing it over and over and over and over

Keep asking the same questions and you'll keep getting the same answers. You caused this little debate. 

11 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Look, its not like I think it's completely absurd that a lot of people looked at the state of the running game in 2018 and blamed Henry. It's pretty visceral and looks awful when you see your 6'3" 250 lb monster back being brought down in the backfield, failing to get 4 yards a carry, and at least appearing to go down easy. I really do get that. I just think that when you look closer you can clearly see that many of those plays were over before they started and that no one was going to have success under those circumstance. We also had a top 10 salaried RB and try and he got shutdown even worse. I'm rooting for him but I really don't know what to expect this season. The OL should be improved but we won't really know until the live bullets fly and who knows what we'll get from Mariota/ the passing game.

You're right that he had valid reasons for his struggles.  But I think that's the case for most players who get the ball in their hands.  The good ones overcome and impress, unless it's just not within the realm of possibility.  And the bad or average ones get excuses , unless they are physically inadequate.  It's really difficult to know what is possible until a player shows you.  If they show you nothing, it may be time to move on.  Henry showed us that he can surpass the yardage that is blocked for him.

14 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

You're right that he had valid reasons for his struggles.  But I think that's the case for most players who get the ball in their hands.  The good ones overcome and impress, unless it's just not within the realm of possibility.  And the bad or average ones get excuses , unless they are physically inadequate.  It's really difficult to know what is possible until a player shows you.  If they show you nothing, it may be time to move on.  Henry showed us that he can surpass the yardage that is blocked for him.

Can't disagree with any of this. The main reason I'll likely never see Henry as a legit top 5 guy is because when the chips were down and the whole offense was struggling he couldn't really elevate the running game. You can still be a very good RB and not elevate a bad offense but I believe that the premiere, blue-chip guys find a way. He didn't do that unfortunately. I feel the same way about Marcus. 

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not sure of your point. I was pointing out nine was talking about this throughout the season and had several long posts about it. 

I was pointing out that if Henry had people like Nine he wouldn't have needed Eddie George.

6 hours ago, big2033 said:

Like you think I'm going to give 8MM a pat on the back if Mariota turns it around? Not a chance. That guy had blind loyalty with no basis in to the way Mariota was actually playing. So if Mariota plays better, there's no way that proves 8MM right for being a blind homer. 

Oh c'mon!   I really could use a pat on the back.  Don't be small...be big!

BTW, nothing wrong with being loyal.