Arthur Smith: Titans Will Ride Derrick Henry This Year

tgo

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Duh, who didn't already know this?   The problem is you ain't running to success with this schedule, you have to score points and points come from the passing game. 

I'm definitely ready for some "fun heavy" offense!! LOL ?

Henry is in his last year, no reason not to run him into the ground 

57 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Gotta use up all the tread while you still can. I bet Henry will be on another team after this season!

We already passed less than any team other than Seattle (51.5% vs 47.5%). I wonder if we'll actually go even more run heavy than that.

I'm sure in the second half of the year we had them beat. We abandoned the run quite a bit early in the season. 

Keep in mind, there were three games last year where they ran the ball far more than they threw it.  In weeks 2 & 3 they ran it 34-35 times while attempting only 21 passes.  The Giants game was even crazier with a 2:1 run/pass ratio in a monsoon.  I doubt we’ll see anything like that this year.

Henry will obviously get a ton of touches...but even when he’s not, just forcing defenses to account for him should help open up the passing game.  

Whereas LB’s typically line up 4-7 yards off the LOS in most situations,  they’ll often cheat a yard or two closer in anticipation of  a run...which creates a bigger cushion behind them and puts them a step late dropping into coverage.

The same goes for safeties.  If they’re thinking run and start coming downfield at the snap, they could easily find themselves  out of position and struggling to recover as a receiver runs past them.  

In week 17, the Colts D was hyper-tuned in on Henry and did as good a job of containing him as one could ask.  (Although he still had 100+ yards from scrimmage and averaged 5+ yds/carry).   But their aggressive play left receivers running open all night long;  Gabbert simply couldn’t hit them. Had the Titans gotten even average QB play in that game, things might have turned out very differently.

If Henry can pick up where he left off last year, Vrabel and Arthur would be fools not to run the offense through him.  It’ll make the QB’s job a whole lot  easier.

18 minutes ago, nine said:

Henry will obviously get a ton of touches...but even when he’s not, just forcing defenses to account for him should help open up the passing game.  

We should expect to see bigger production out of the receivers this year. We may not wind up with a lot of volume in terms of targets, but we will possibly wind up with a larger number of game-breaking plays. There's more than one way to gauge "big production" in the passing game than passing the ball 35 times a game, after all.

3 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Mariota was hurt.  It was our best chance to be successful through the air.

Jake you would be the only possible downgrade to Gabbert. Unless they write the playbook in finger paints. But I think they stoped that when we fired Robinski.

I have no doubt the offensive game plan is going to be to ride Henry and build the passing game around playaction. Teams adjusted to this last year. The Ringer's last podcast went into detail about how defenses started ignoring playaction last year and rushing the passer on playaction downs. 

The Rams went into more two TE sets as teams did this and ran the ball. 

The Titans will likely run Henry like crazy if teams ignore the running game and try and force them to have to try and stop it. 

They aren't going to run him like crazy that's retarded, the attack will be more balanced then last year like Nine said. I expect the offense to be more efficient in its second year and more injury free hopefully which should lead to more carries for both Lewis and Henry then they got last year.

Derrick Henry? What's that got to do with the Titans? Mariota sucks. Can't run the ball with this QB. Yall remember all the fumbles he had as a rookie? He don't know how to hand the ball off. Doesn't matter who the running back is. 

WE WILL NEVER HAVE A GOOD RUNNING GAME UNTIL WE GET A QB THAT IS THE REAL DEAL AT HANDOFFS.

Look at Brady. Manning. They all mastered their craft. Pure handoffs. PA ya couldn't even find the fuckin ball. Announcers were lookin for it, next thing you know it's turned into a pass. Camera shaking all over the field camera man can't find the ball. 

Hopefully in 2020 we will draft a guy with some real ball handling skills. 

33 minutes ago, Huston said:

They aren't going to run him like crazy that's retarded, the attack will be more balanced then last year like Nine said. I expect the offense to be more efficient in its second year and more injury free hopefully which should lead to more carries for both Lewis and Henry then they got last year.

I would assume riding Henry would equate to an offense like Seattle's.

Edited by big2033