The NFL's best and worst offensive arsenals: Barnwell's 32-1 ranking

MIKE75

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27154042/the-nfl-best-worst-offensive-arsenals-barnwell-32-1-ranking

21. Tennessee Titans

2018 rank: No. 14 | 2017: No. 15

No team feels like it is in more of a holding pattern than Tennessee. Though that's mostly about Marcus Mariota, it extends to the Titans' weapons, too. Corey Davis improved in his first full season as a starter and showed flashes of looking like a No. 1 wideout, but the former No. 5 overall pick averaged 45 receiving yards per game over the final seven weeks of the season. Derrick Henry was out of the offense for stretches, but then racked up more rushing yards over the final four games of the year (585) than he had over the prior 12 (474). These are the two key ball carrier building blocks of the team, and it's still too early to say what they're going to be.

What do we know? Adam Humphries is an upgrade in the slot. The two veterans who might have pushed this team over the top, though, aren't looking as imposing as they did a year ago. Delanie Walker, now 35, missed virtually all of 2018 with a brutal ankle injury and still isn't 100 percent; the Titans are likely going to lean more on Jonnu Smith in 2019. Dion Lewis stayed healthy, meanwhile, but the former Patriots dynamo was extremely inefficient as both a runner and receiver, and the track record of Patriots backs after leaving New England isn't inspiring. Anything significant out of either player in 2019 would be a bonus.

55 minutes ago, ctm said:

So the Titans ranked 14th in offense in 2018, added a starting OG, two WRs and get Walker back and Barnwell thinks they will fall to 21st?

Did we really? 

Edit: just checked, We didnt tank 14th in stats, we rated 14th in talent. He thinks less of mariota 

Edited by titanruss

17 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Did we really? 

Edit: just checked, We didnt tank 14th in stats, we rated 14th in talent. He thinks less of mariota 

I have no idea where his 14th ranking comes from but his logic is a little baffling to me.

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Everything hinges on QB play...

Hence the reason there's a million pages about it. Some people can't accept that. It's tiring but it's a necessary evil.

4 hours ago, ctm said:

So the Titans ranked 14th in offense in 2018, added a starting OG, two WRs and get Walker back and Barnwell thinks they will fall to 21st?

technically you are still comparing them to the other teams in the league...not saying he is correct and don't really care but it is possible to get better but yet still fall in the rankings.

just being technical

I mostly agree that it's just a guy throwing darts at a wall.

I have no problem with the ranking change from 14 to 21.  Last year, I listened to the Mariota hype like everybody else, healthy, private coach and extra workouts with receivers.  We had CD, Matthews and Delanie, plus Lewis coming in.  I didn't expect Mariota to play as shaky as he did and Barnwell probably didn't either.  This year, Barnwell is just saying what he sees now.  This team could have the top three receivers in the NFL, Barkley and the number one OL, if Mariota is the QB Barnwell and nobody else would rank the Titans the #1 offense.

13 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I have no problem with the ranking change from 14 to 21.  Last year, I listened to the Mariota hype like everybody else, healthy, private coach and extra workouts with receivers.  We had CD, Matthews and Delanie, plus Lewis coming in.  I didn't expect Mariota to play as shaky as he did and Barnwell probably didn't either.  This year, Barnwell is just saying what he sees now.  This team could have the top three receivers in the NFL, Barkley and the number one OL, if Mariota is the QB Barnwell and nobody else would rank the Titans the #1 offense.

this is a very all over the place comment.

I suppose it's all about expectations.    The #21 ranking is quite reasonable if you expect...

• the Mariota who had a 67 passer rating in weeks 1-7....not the Mariota who had a 103 passer rating for weeks 8-15.
  • the Derrick Heny who averaged 3.0 yards/carry in weeks 1-4...not the DH who averaged 5.7 ypc over the next twelve games.
  • Little/no improvement from year 2 to year 3 for Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith, Taywan Taylor, and/or Tajae Sharpe.
  • Little/no improvement in O-line play despite the addition of Roger Saffold, Jack Conklin getting healthy, and cutting Josh Kline.

considering the complete overhaul in coaching and systems you would think that one would look more to the end of the season stats as a better indication of where a team is headed

guess that is just silly...I mean "Mariota"...am I right?