Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AussieTitanFan08

Vrabel on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

Recommended Posts

Nothing earth shattering here, Vrabel praising Mariota for his dedication this offseason while also seeming very comfortable with Mariota's contract status.

 

RK: Marcus Mariota, along with Jameis Winston, is the first quarterback since the new CBA to play on a fifth-year option. What does he have to show you to earn an extension? (Mariota is 27-28 as a starter, with an 89.4 passer rating and a 69:42 TD:INT ratio.)

 

MIKE VRABEL: “I think everybody has a contract, and we’re very aware of players who are in the last year of the deal. Marcus is obviously one of those. When you make a commitment to the QB you want to make sure that this is going to be your guy for the next 7-10 years when you look at the percentage of the cap quarterbacks are driving. Nobody is more proud of what Marcus has done in the offseason than me. He’s come back stronger, bigger, with greater understanding of what we're doing offensively, being able to communicate it to players the field. I don’t look at the lack of a long-term extension as a negative, though that’s what people try to make it. I know Marcus’s demeanor and that won’t change whether he’s on a 10-year contract or its up after the season. He’s that type of person. So I know it'll work because of how he is.”

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/15/nfl-head-coach-diversity-brian-levy-harold-goodwin-frank-reich-matt-nagy-kyler-murray

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   

Depends on the structure.  Jags can get out of Foles contract in year 3 with 12M in dead cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
30 minutes ago, ctm said:

Depends on the structure.  Jags can get out of Foles contract in year 3 with 12M in dead cap.

Here is the deal with comparing Foles contract to what Mariota might get. 

 

Foles contract was below market value, especially for a SB winning QB. 

 

If Mariota is willing to take a less than market deal then that will have meant he did not have a god 2019 season. If he has the type of season he'd be willing to accept such a low deal would the Titans even want him back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Here is the deal with comparing Foles contract to what Mariota might get. 

 

Foles contract was below market value, especially for a SB winning QB. 

 

If Mariota is willing to take a less than market deal then that will have meant he did not have a god 2019 season. If he has the type of season he'd be willing to accept such a low deal would the Titans even want him back? 

The options are more than just highest contract ever or not signed at all even if he does preform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBukafax said:

The options are more than just highest contract ever or not signed at all even if he does preform.

Less than market value (for a young QB) that the team drafted going into his 2nd contract is a lot more indicting than the middle gray area you're trying to portray and you know it

 

If both sides agree he deserves to be paid less than all the other guys that's usually how both sides feel about the talent... At that point, why commit even more time into him?

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Less than market value (for a young QB) that the team drafted going into his 2nd contract is a lot more indicting than the middle gray area you're trying to portray and you know it

 

If both sides agree he deserves to be paid less than all the other guys that's usually how both sides feel about the talent... At that point, why commit even more time into him?

Why have the Bengals wasted time with Andy Dalton?

 

He may end up being the transition QB, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

 When you make a commitment to the QB you want to make sure that this is going to be your guy for the next 7-10 years when you look at the percentage of the cap quarterbacks are driving.

That's the answer right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
57 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Less than market value (for a young QB) that the team drafted going into his 2nd contract is a lot more indicting than the middle gray area you're trying to portray and you know it

 

If both sides agree he deserves to be paid less than all the other guys that's usually how both sides feel about the talent... At that point, why commit even more time into him?

1.  Is the alternative any better?  How sure is the FO of that?

2.  What is the cost of the alternative in terms of draft picks and developmental time (does a rookie play better than MM in 2020?)

 

Lots of variables in this decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

 When you make a commitment to the QB you want to make sure that this is going to be your guy for the next 7-10 years when you look at the percentage of the cap quarterbacks are driving.

" I don’t look at the lack of a long-term extension as a negative, though that’s what people try to make it. .....So I know it'll work because of how he is.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheBukafax said:

Why have the Bengals wasted time with Andy Dalton?

 

He may end up being the transition QB, who knows.

They've gotten eviscerated and mocked for years for it too... There are just as many examples, if not more, of teams trying to find a new guy than just being complacent with a guy because he could be worse.... Chiefs, Cardinals and Dolphins immediately come to mind just in the past few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
5 hours ago, Callidus said:

Don't bother I have tried, he dosn't understand there are numbers between 8mil and 25mil.

If he can be signed this cheap he’s not worth keeping

 

Its pretty simple

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...