Vrabel on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

It’s funny how things change. Last year at this time the popular opinion was there’s no way Mariota doesn’t get his massive extension after 2018. 

Now it’s like he has to do something he’s never done before to still be a Titan in like 6 months. 

Crazy. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on how market is defined.  It's very possible MM stays health, plays like a slightly above average QB, and the Titans decide their best option is to pay him as a slightly above average QB but

Don't bother I have tried, he dosn't understand there are numbers between 8mil and 25mil.

When you make a commitment to the QB you want to make sure that this is going to be your guy for the next 7-10 years when you look at the percentage of the cap quarterbacks are driving.

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Actually if he has a similar year to his rookie season but plays in all 16 games it might be enough.

His injury history and footwork are his two biggest knocks.  He’s never shown he can last a full NFL season and I doubt adding weight will help.  

Edited by Yoshimitsu

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Oh I agree which is why I made sure to mention playing in all 16 games.  He has shown he is capable of throwing twice or more TDs to ints and having a good to great success rate in the red zone.  Of course none of that means anything if he can't stay healthy. 

He's also shown that those two things that you mentioned can also be his biggest red flags.

Did anyone else see Cian Fahey’s 2019 Quarterback Tiers and Rankings?  he has Mariota ranked 7th as an “Emerging stud”

7. Marcus Mariota – Emerging Stud

2018 Charting Data – Marcus Mariota had the best depth-adjusted accuracy percentage when throwing behind the down-and-distance last season and the best accuracy percentage when throwing to/past the first down line from behind the down-and-distance also.

The second-most accurate quarterback in the NFL last year and the best deep passer at 61.5 percent. Marcus Mariota doesn’t possess a huge arm but he generates huge velocity on intermediate throws to hit closing windows with timing and anticipation. His pocket movement is outstanding but he has dealt with an abnormal amount of pressure playing behind often overwhelmed offensive lines. Mariota is capable of consistently throwing receivers open at every level of the field and doesn’t flinch against arriving hits. He’s also comfortable adjusting and delivering from condensed pockets.

Health was the biggest issue for Mariota last season and will continue to be until he starts 16 full games without playing hurt. But when he’s healthy, his connection with Corey Davis threatens to be one of the best in the league.

A quarterback who excels in obvious passing situations and who elevates everyone else on his offense deserves more recognition than he receives.

27 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Yes, and his praise for him is hilarious to the point of being satirical

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Anyone still taking him seriously is retarded

I didn’t say I agreed with the rankings. Just adding to the convo.

I do think it’s funny to see people on this forum and Reddit tout certain opinions that they agree with and immediately dismiss ones they don’t when all of these analysts are doing the same thing. Watching tape, using statistics, and forming their opinions. None of these guys are 100% with their assements. I’m of the opinion that all of this offseason talk about Mariota is pointless. At this point we know that he either plays well and is on the team next year, or he flops and he’s gone. It’s just posters regurgitating the same tired talking points over and over. September 8th can’t come soon enough. 

On 7/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, titanruss said:

" I don’t look at the lack of a long-term extension as a negative, though that’s what people try to make it. .....So I know it'll work because of how he is.”

It depends on which lines you're reading between... ?

4 hours ago, Titans279 said:

It’s funny how things change. Last year at this time the popular opinion was there’s no way Mariota doesn’t get his massive extension after 2018. 

Now it’s like he has to do something he’s never done before to still be a Titan in like 6 months. 

Crazy. 

Yep... fan perceptions are definitely batshit.

8 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

It depends on which lines you're reading between... ?

Read between what lines? Vrabel trying to spin that signing a QB longterm is not important? 

Not exactly the most glowing "he's our QBOTF" endorsement.

54 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

I didn’t say I agreed with the rankings. Just adding to the convo.

I do think it’s funny to see people on this forum and Reddit tout certain opinions that they agree with and immediately dismiss ones they don’t when all of these analysts are doing the same thing. Watching tape, using statistics, and forming their opinions. None of these guys are 100% with their assements. I’m of the opinion that all of this offseason talk about Mariota is pointless. At this point we know that he either plays well and is on the team next year, or he flops and he’s gone. It’s just posters regurgitating the same tired talking points over and over. September 8th can’t come soon enough. 

Yeah but it's not like Cian hasn't been biased this whole time.

This is the equivalent of Skip Bayless saying Mariota sucks. An opinion from an EXTREMELY biased place. I wouldn't take Skip Bayless opinion seriously either.

If you catch any Mariota "hater" quoting Bayless in here to "move the conversation forward' that person deserves to be laughed at.

It's completely useless analysis because Cian has been in love with Mariota and continuously blamed everyone BUT him for his shortcomings from the get go. 

He's done it in weird ways too like explaining that you shouldn't make Mariota throw deep or turn his back on play action. Basically wanting the staff to put pillows around his game.

Then he blocks people for question his analysis.

Edited by big2033

4 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Interesting how the TE numbers skewed higher than the rest; and of course the best was Brady (thanks to Gronk to a sizable degree); Brady was good but not great in all the other categories. Stafford was dead last, again at least partially due to lack of talent there; makes that Hockenson pick a little less more questionable, at least on paper.