Vrabel on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

3 minutes ago, ctm said:

I'll just repeat....depends on the structure of the contract.  How soon can they get out of it and at what cost.  All unknows at this point, so need to speculate.  Let it play out.

Of course you let it play out.

We're asking what the team should do if he doesn't play at a high level.

Let me ask you ... would you want what Miami did after Tannehill had a solid contract year? With his middling talent? What did that do for the franchise?

Honestly, who cares about getting a "good deal." With QB it's not about the money. If he's mediocre your team will stay mediocre, so who cares about how he helps your salary cap?

Edited by big2033

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on how market is defined.  It's very possible MM stays health, plays like a slightly above average QB, and the Titans decide their best option is to pay him as a slightly above average QB but

Don't bother I have tried, he dosn't understand there are numbers between 8mil and 25mil.

When you make a commitment to the QB you want to make sure that this is going to be your guy for the next 7-10 years when you look at the percentage of the cap quarterbacks are driving.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

If he can be signed this cheap he’s not worth keeping

Its pretty simple

Yep, you need an elite QB running your offense in the NFL, not a bargain basement starter. If Mariota isn’t good enough on the field to be worth paying him like he is a top tier QB you need to find a new one. 

2 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

That's comparing apples to oranges. Way different styles of play and different coaching circumstances. Stats may be the only thing that's similar. I think some of Marcus' problems have been situational. I think some have been mental.  I think we get to see a exactly what his ceiling is this year. That won't make the contract decision any easier though.

I can go along some, I don't think we see his ceiling.  I don't think we have to see him play to what he can become, but he has to give you a feeling of comfort when he gets behind center.  That's our guy and he's going to run the offense to near it's potential.  Make Corey Davis better.  Have Humphries playing at least as well as he has been playing.  Show proficiency in hitting backs coming out of the backfield.  He draws a lot of attention when he takes off, start beating teams with his arm when that happens.  Don't get hurt.  EZ PZ.

8 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Let me ask you ... would you want what Miami did after Tannehill had a solid contract year? With his middling talent? What did that do for the franchise?

Honestly, who cares about getting a "good deal." With QB it's not about the money. If he's mediocre your team will stay mediocre, so who cares about how he helps your salary cap?

if he doesn't play at a high level you move on...the only thing that could change that is how the team does as a whole and what they accomplish.

that to me would be the place where it gets tricky.

that's where organizations have to make bold decisions.

but all and all CTM is right...it will come down to structure of the contract...length mostly but you can still sign Mariota and look to the future..it's just a small window to fit into.

got to let it play out

5 hours ago, ctm said:

None of what these teams did will be relevant when it comes time to decide on MM.

They will look at MM performance and the cost to keep him.  Then they will look at potential replacements and the cost to acquire and keep them.  The chiefs, cards and dolphins won't be a factor.

You do realize I was responding on how idiotic that Dalton comment was?

Edited by wiscotitansfan

41 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Define high level.  Let it play  and then you will have something definite to go on instead of abstact speculation.

2 minutes ago, ctm said:

Define high level.  Let it play  and then you will have something definite to go on instead of abstact speculation.

It's not like he's a rookie, we've seen him for 4 years now

3 minutes ago, ctm said:

Whether or not he's resigned will be based almost entirely on 2019.

Nonsense. If he has an amazing year he's only getting franchised.... Because we've seen it's not his norm

Sure, him being under contract would be due to 2019 but his whole resume matters a lot on what we do with him

Edited by wiscotitansfan

12 minutes ago, ctm said:

Whether or not he's resigned will be based almost entirely on 2019.

I generally agree with this. If he is elite in 2019 he will be re-signed. If not then he probably won’t be.

The problem is if he is “pretty good”. How much do you pay a QB who is “pretty good”? Maybe you franchise him and give him one more year to prove it, but I don’t think they can give him a big new contract based on “pretty good”.

20 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

if he doesn't play at a high level you move on...the only thing that could change that is how the team does as a whole and what they accomplish.

that to me would be the place where it gets tricky.

that's where organizations have to make bold decisions.

but all and all CTM is right...it will come down to structure of the contract...length mostly but you can still sign Mariota and look to the future..it's just a small window to fit into.

got to let it play out

Why not keep Tannehill and look the future? 

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Why not keep Tannehill and look the future? 

There’s a very real chance that they could keep Tannehill as the short term starter if they let MM go after this season. I said right after the trade that one of them was likely to be starting in 2020.

Edited by Starkiller

25 minutes ago, ctm said:

Top 7 statistics. TD, passing yards, INTs command of offense.

People have made it complicated because they think there are all these unforseen factors that affects his play versus the other top QBs. Take all the excuses away and like Andrew Luck put shit together and go out and play and put up numbers like a franchise QB. Easy.

Edited by big2033

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Top 7 statistics. TD, passing yards, INTs command of offense.

People have made it complicated because they think there are all these unforseen factors that affects his play versus the other top QBs. Take all the excuses away and like Andrew Luck go out and play and put up numbers like a franchise QB. Easy.

So it's play like Luck.....all or nothing.  Easy. /s