Justin Herbert

9 Nines

Oregon QB Justin Herbert has the second-best odds of being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The betting markets currently give Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa a 66.7% chance of being selected with the first pick, while Herbert sits at 20%. Tagovailoa and Herbert are the consensus top-two draft-eligible quarterbacks entering the college season with Georgia QB Jake Fromm coming in at No. 3. Other names to know with first-pick consideration are Ohio State DE Chase Young and Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy.

https://fishduck.com/2018/07/will-justin-herbert-be-a-better-nfl-qb-than-marcus-mariota/

Some Positives for Herbert 

A) Size: The protoypical size for an NFL QB.

B) Arm: A strong “NFL” arm with top-end arm skills.

C) One Cool Joe: Started his first game ever as a true freshman against the Pac-12’s best defense (notice how I coyly avoided mentioning “Huskies,” oh oops), and though he didn’t have a good game, he was not overwhelmed. Most would have melted in that situation.  

D) Intelligence: A top-notch student and a quick study of the Oregon offense, as he displayed in his very first game against that one team, and has continued to display through his two years.  

E) “It”: Seems to have the “it”factor, but needs to put together a complete season of getting “it” done. 

F) Mobility: Though not a “running quarterback,” he has the mobility to buy time and extend plays.

Some Points Against Mariota 

(Yes, I understand I’m presenting this in a “heads I win, tails you lose” manner. But the point of this article is to address whether Herbert can be a better NFL quarterback than Mariota, not vice versa. Of course a strong case can be made for Mariota.) 

A) Injuries: Unfortunately, Mariota has missed his share of games so far in his young career.   

B) Turnovers: A problem he had at Oregon, in 2017 he threw 13 touchdowns vs. 15int’s.

C) Overall Passing: A good passer but not as natural a thrower as Herbert.

D) Running: Yes, he is a great runner, and much better than Herbert. But great running quarterbacks tend to rely on their feet instead of their arm when they get in trouble. Though this isn’t a problem at the college level, it usually means that they have a bit of work to do on their passing mechanics when they get to the NFL. 

Conclusion 

As the 2018 season unfolds, we should have a much better idea of what Herbert will be capable of doing at the next level. But, as of now, it seems Herbert definitely has a chance at making a splash in the NFL and being a better pro than Mariota.  

In 2018, Herbert could have a Heisman-esque season, a quarterback-desperate team could get the top pick, and good ole Herbie could go No. 1. 

If that happens, I can already see my next headline reading something like this: “Will Justin Herbert be a better Hall of Fame Quarterback than Dan Fouts?” 

Now that would be some crazy talk!  

What do you think? 

Archived