AussieTitanFan08

Stick to Football AFC South Preview

Pretty reasonable preview of the AFC South here, best thing there isn't the usual absolutely ridiculous hot takes that we are currently seeing from a lot of the National NFL media.

The two main bits I didn't agree with was their disrespect for Corey Davis and their over the top praise for DeShaun Watson. 

From purely a Titans perspective they are very positive regarding the defense, they thought that Evans/Landry could make a big leap this year, then they addressed the obvious question marks surrounding Mariota and the offense.

44 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The Colts will mop the floor with everybody as always

They definitely enter the season as favorites, injuries as always will play a massive part in how things play out.

abc2330   

Anyone who disrespects Davis has done minimal work on the team or knows Dick .  We just had Greg Cosell, one of the most respected analysts around, watch every single snap of his and was very high on him.  I don't think most people are competent or care enough to do what he claims to do, which is separate the player from the production and judge him solely by his performance .  If your opinion is the opposite of Cosell's , I'm going to assume that you don't know what the hell you're talking about and are speaking out of a different orifis

Edited by abc2330

Justafan   
2 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Anyone who disrespects Davis has done minimal work on the team or knows Dick .  We just had Greg Cosell, one of the most respected analysts around, watch every single snap of his and was very high on him.  I don't think most people are competent or care enough to do what he claims to do, which is separate the player from the production and judge him solely by his performance .  If your opinion is the opposite of Cosell's , I'm going to assume that you don't know what the hell you're talking about and are speaking out of a different orifis

Yup.  Given the opportunities, Davis is a strong starting receiver.  Put him in the Steelers offense and he's a superstar.  The Titans only threw the ball like 350 times last year and the guy still put up respectable numbers.  I really don't know what people expect from this kid.  

Justafan   
1 minute ago, oldschool said:

He believed Griffin was a better QB than Luck coming out of college and loved Jamarcus Russel as a prospect. The idea hes infallible when it comes to grading players is laughable. Hes just a dude who has access to the NFL films vault and has built a career off it. 

He's a solid analyst though.  I get what you're saying.  Everyone is fallible and everyone makes mistakes and we should take what he says with a grain of salt.  Still, it is one more professional person who is looking at film and seeing what many others have been seeing for a while. 

That ain't nothing.  

abc2330   
11 minutes ago, oldschool said:

He believed Griffin was a better QB than Luck coming out of college and loved Jamarcus Russel as a prospect. The idea hes infallible when it comes to grading players is laughable. Hes just a dude who has access to the NFL films vault and has built a career off it. 

Except that he's not saying, "This is my prediction of how this player will perform years from now when he's facing 10x the level of competition ".  He's analyzing the way he's playing now.  Every scout and analyst is just a guy with access to film by your definition.

Just now, abc2330 said:

Except that he's not saying, "This is my prediction of how this player will perform years from now when he's facing 10x the level of competition ".  He's analyzing the way he's playing now.  Every scout and analyst is just a guy with access to film by your definition.

Hes never played, coached, or scouted period. It's like taking advice on how to build a nuclear reactor from someone who watches youtube videos on how to build nuclear reactors all day. Fans use his opinion to confirm their own bias about players. 

abc2330   
19 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Hes never played, coached, or scouted period. It's like taking advice on how to build a nuclear reactor from someone who watches youtube videos on how to build nuclear reactors all day. Fans use his opinion to confirm their own bias about players. 

He's not teaching us how to play receiver.  Just forming an analysis by reviewing his film and comparing that to many, many years of film that he has of all of the successful WRs who have come through the league.  Do you value the opinion of Deion Sanders more?  Because that's the quality of "analysis" that you get from most people formerly associated with the game.  Until more former NFL members find some incentive to analyze the film to that degree and present their opinion, and have a long, relatively clean track record, that of a guy with his experience and respect among his peers should be valued.

Edited by abc2330

nine   

NFL GMs and HCs are literally the world's foremost experts on NFL football.   They're extremely knowledgeable with countless years of football experience under their belts, and earn seven-figure salaries to build teams and win games.....yet we constantly see poor scouting and personnel assessments,  ill-advised gameplans, and terrible in-game decisions.   

Media analysts and sports writers obviously aren't the foremost authority on NFL football;  they're simply paid to offer their opinions, right or wrong.  The funny part is that the decisions and opinions of NFL GMs and HCs aren't necessarily any better than the media talking heads....they just get paid a lot more.

Supdawg   

There are almost no sure fire gimmies in scouting prospects. Only probabilities. Cosell is really good. Not perfect. No one can predict the future. 

OILERMAN   

Pretty good assessments, two of the 3 guys predicted 5-11 finishes(the other said 9-7) and all were down on Mariota and of course said it was possible he'd get replaced in season. They mentioned the tough schedule and talked about whether Henry was still a question mark or not and were down on the offense. 

I was thinking they were missing the boat on Evans but they really praised him late. The combo of Brown and Evans inside could be the strength of the defense.