Rolltide

The Mexican health care system...We can learn from them...

Dollop   
38 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

The ironic part is that the ACA was probably the best hope for those who want to stymie the eventual evolution to single payer yet those people are the ones who most vehemently opposed it; it was a way of keeping the vast majority under private plans while getting close to universal coverage.

This.

I’ve always kind of chuckled at “repeal and replace.”  Repeal it I guess, but what are you going to replace it with?  This is your plan if you want anything to change anyway and should be your alternative to single payer or at least a public option.  There’s no serious plan you can replace it with that isn’t mainly cosmetic, or just a glorified repeal of the ACA but politically they can’t piss off a lot people who enjoy some of its popular provisions.  Even those that still refer to it as Obamacare as some sort of slur.

reo   
52 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

The ironic part is that the ACA was probably the best hope for those who want to stymie the eventual evolution to single payer yet those people are the ones who most vehemently opposed it; it was a way of keeping the vast majority under private plans while getting close to universal coverage.

It's why Republicans don't actually have an alternative. 

The ACA was a heavily free market plan.

Edited by reo

11 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

Yup. It's a republican plan from the 90s when Hilary was trying to spearhead healthcare change. 

OILERMAN   

There should have been a public option, period. The free market would have had to reduce cost to keep everyone from moving to the public option 

22 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

There should have been a public option, period. The free market would have had to reduce cost to keep everyone from moving to the public option 

There should have been one, but the GOP filibustered and there were not 60 Democrats who would support it. Guys like Joe Lieberman weren’t going to do anything that gave people an alternative to for-profit health insurance.

11 hours ago, reo said:

It's why Republicans don't actually have an alternative. 

The ACA was a heavily free market plan.

The only plan the GOP has put forward since the ACA was to get rid of Medicare... seriously...

There no mystery. Insurance lobbyists are the main reason why our healthcare system is in shambles and favors the richest Americans. Look at the largest buildings in EVERY city. Who owns them? Insurance companies.

Btowner   

Here are some words of wisdom from the Republicans hoping to win the current lawsuit against the ACA.

“Do I hope the lawsuit succeeds? I do,” said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.). “What I wish is we had some idea where we are going if it does succeed, as it looks more and more like it might.”

“That people are concerned about losing the Affordable Care Act is testament to the fact that the United States Congress hasn’t done its job,” said Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.), who is “ready” for the lawsuit to succeed. Obamacare has “not made their lives better, but yet people worry that as bad as it is, if we don’t have it, we have nothing.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/14/republicans-obamacare-2020-1415313

54 minutes ago, Btowner said:

Here are some words of wisdom from the Republicans hoping to win the current lawsuit against the ACA.

“Do I hope the lawsuit succeeds? I do,” said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.). “What I wish is we had some idea where we are going if it does succeed, as it looks more and more like it might.”

“That people are concerned about losing the Affordable Care Act is testament to the fact that the United States Congress hasn’t done its job,” said Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.), who is “ready” for the lawsuit to succeed. Obamacare has “not made their lives better, but yet people worry that as bad as it is, if we don’t have it, we have nothing.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/14/republicans-obamacare-2020-1415313

There’s no rational way the case should invalidate the ACA (based on the mandate now having a $0 tax penalty), but there are 2 Republican judges on the panel so it wouldn’t remotely surprise me if they did it. 

And Republicans should be scared to death if they do because that makes healthcare the top issue in the campaign.