Rolltide

The Mexican health care system...We can learn from them...

Rolltide   

Mexico is a wealthy third world nation. That is an antiquated term I know "third world" but they are much more affluent than neighboring countries in Central America so we can make some comparisons to the USA. It is also a good sized country not just the size of a small state. In some ways their health care is better!

Mexico recently instituted something akin to a universal health care system. In 2009 they passed legislation to provide care for all pregnant women. In 2012 they expanded that care to everybody with a job. Your employer pays the premium for the insurance and it is still largely a free market system. 

So what do I mean when I say their system is better? They have better trained doctors and nurses? No ours are better. They have better technology? No not even close. They have better facilities? No again. So how and why is it better? It's cheap! The ultimate results are almost as good as our system at a fraction of the cost!

This is how we can learn from Mexico! 

Rolltide   

Life expectancy. This is where the rubber meets the road in health care right? Keeping people alive. With superior doctors, superior technology and superior facilities our obsession with health care and the environment has got us to 79 years life expectancy.  Bravo. Mexico with their drug cartels, poverty bad air and inferior doctors and inferior technology has a life expectancy of 75 years. Wow 4 more years!

In Mexico if you make it to age 65 your life expectancy is another 16.7 years. In the USA a 65 year old can expect to live another 19.2 years. Not a big difference there. 

Mexico spends about $1100 a person per year for health care. We spend $11,000. They spend about 7.2% of the GDP on health care we spend 18%. That is a huge difference with only a small difference in results!

Now I know what you may be thinking. We have a major obesity problem. Mexico might be different. Nope. Mexico's obesity rate is almost the same, 32%. Can you blame them the food is fucking fantastic!

In short we are spending massive amounts of money to get very little improved results. We need to change. 

Edited by Rolltide

Hey Touched The Tard, you need to start a go fund me page and start begging. IncelTard wants to be a ChadTard. Please send me to Mexico for facial reconstruction and liposuction. I would settle for a 1/4 ChadTard Touched. Mexican doctors can’t perform miracles. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

Rolltide   
1 hour ago, Rogue said:

What's the major differences in Mexico's system and ours? 

High end technology, meds and devices add an enormous cost to our healthcare with only a small statistical benefit because of smaller patient populations. Mexico and Mexicans cannot afford drugs that cost $100,000 a year or more but it does not effect the ultimate results that much. I doubt if biologics like Enbrel, Humira and Avastin are available for many Mexicans at all. Those three drugs combined have sales of over $30B a year. Drugs for rare diseases are probably not available for most people that need them. 

We spend significantly on newer drugs that might only be 5-7% more efficacious that the generic meds that have been around for 40 years and can be had for a $5 a month copay. 

Combination meds are also a problem that could be changed. Some may have heard of a drug called Azor, new drug for high blood pressure? No actually it is 2 older drugs that have expired patents and could be purchased cheap as generics. By combining them in one pill they are sold as a new drug. Vytorin is like that. You combine Zocor a statin that has been available as a generic for some time with Zetia for cholesterol. Well the clinical data on Vytorin is rewally not much better than Zocor alone so why not just prescribe generic simvastatin(Zocor) and forget about the Zetia?

A reason for much of this is lawsuits. If a patient does not think the doctor is doing every possible thing to improve his condition he sues so the doctor orders anything and everything that might work. 

Edited by Rolltide

Rolltide   

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/02/11/npr-americans-seek-cheaper-meds-in-mexico

Here is a good article about people going to Mexico to buy cheaper prescriptions. The same meds in Mexico will cost 50-90% less. In the article they say that a million Californians every year go to Mexico for drugs. 

This should be 100% legal for anybody providing a written prescription from an American doctor. 

What was really amazing is that a $700 box of insulin pens cost about the same in Germany as in Mexico. We are obviously doing something wrong!

Edited by Rolltide

There are all kinds of stories about people having the same procedures done in MX for a fraction of the cost. A surgery that would cost $100K in the US might be $7500 or $10k in MX. 

OzTitan   

If the US health system is 'fixed', I wonder what sort of impact it will have on the Mexico health system? could the $ from US citizens seeking to escape the US system be subsidizing Mexico's system somewhat?

Rolltide   
7 hours ago, abenjami said:

I guess it depends who you ask.

Me personally, I will gladly pay an extra $10,000 per year to live another 4 years.

It does not work that way.

The homicide rate in Mexico is about 4X higher than it is here because of the cartels and drug trafficking. That probably makes one year of difference right there.

Remember the stats I provided for those life spans after age 65? Despite medicare for all at that age the life expectancy here for people that age is only 2 years greater than in Mexico. 

At the current rates medicaid costs us $1800 a year per capita and Medicare costs $2500. So there is $4300 per person to cover 40% of our population who most need it. 

Why are we paying so much for the other 60% who are neither poor or old? $6700 to cover people who are not poor or elderly?

Edited by Rolltide

Btowner   

Speaking of healthcare. For almost eight years, we heard the cute chant of "repeal and replace" from Republicans. I keep seeing the Trump admin slowly trying to sabotage the ACA, but still have not seen any proposal to replace the ACA and handle pre-existing conditions.

I always thought the ACA was version 1.0. It was far from perfect, but a first step in addressing our healthcare problems with revisions to follow. It's now close to ten years and nothing to tweak, replace or "fix" the ACA. Once again, it appears Republicans are better at sloganeering than governing.

The ironic part is that the ACA was probably the best hope for those who want to stymie the eventual evolution to single payer yet those people are the ones who most vehemently opposed it; it was a way of keeping the vast majority under private plans while getting close to universal coverage.